School shooting at SC Elementary School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2016, 05:33 PM
RE: School shooting at SC Elementary School
(03-10-2016 02:59 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Though Europe does have its wilder spots.

Like the streets of London? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2016, 09:34 PM
(03-10-2016 05:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 02:59 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Yes, a careful analys would be needed. The demographics of the states are, I would guess, as varied as there are states in number! No point in picking the state with the least killings if it happened to be the state with the least people or guns. The vuew point and value set of thevststes are probably all unique. Someonebp once said that America was a loose association of 50 countries which, grudgingly, agree to certain things in common.

But there should be an objective way of assessing these things. There are surely commonly accepted rules to form a basis. Open carrying only becomes a problem if there is a danger the carrier could actually be attacked and his gun stolen. A sudden rear attack with an iron bar is hard to beat even with a gun.

Anyway, though gun crime is on the increase I am glad I live in the UK and feel for all those who have lost loved ones partly due to what amounts to an archaic mindset. The West is still rather Wild it seems. That's West of Europe.

Though Europe does have its wilder spots.

Vermont's Constitution guarantees its people the right to firearms. There are lots of guns in Vermont.

So, yes, there is a need to look at the demographics, the kind of society, as to why it is violent or not. It's not the guns, per se.

And right next door, in New Hampshire:

04-10-2016, 12:39 AM
(03-10-2016 05:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 02:59 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Though Europe does have its wilder spots.

Like the streets of London? Consider

Good one, take any city with millions in it and there will inevitably be violent people, human nature, mental illness and statistics ensure it.

Now, let's take violent deaths per 100 000 of total population - much more meaningful

[Image: 25uqlxd.jpg]

I will say no more on this subject on this thread.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
04-10-2016, 05:39 AM
Lithuania has more violent deaths per 100,000 than the US?

I wonder what my lugan grandpa would have thought of that...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
04-10-2016, 05:49 AM
(04-10-2016 12:39 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 05:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Like the streets of London? Consider

Good one, take any city with millions in it and there will inevitably be violent people, human nature, mental illness and statistics ensure it.

Now, let's take violent deaths per 100 000 of total population - much more meaningful

[Image: 25uqlxd.jpg]

I will say no more on this subject on this thread.

Violence can occur anywhere. There are no safe places, only more or less violent ones.

That was partly the point. Mostly, it was meant as humor.