School shooting at SC Elementary School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: School shooting at SC Elementary School
While this thread has turned into yet another gun debate...this news came in:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/boy-6-d...li=BBnb7Kz

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A 6-year-old boy who was critically wounded in a school shooting died Saturday, days after a 14-year-old boy opened fire on a school playground, authorities said.
Jacob Hall had been fighting for his life at a hospital after a bullet struck him in a main artery in his leg, causing him a major brain injury due to a "catastrophic" loss of blood, his doctor said. Jacob died about 1 p.m. Saturday, and an autopsy will be done Sunday, Anderson County Coroner Greg Shore said.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2016, 07:50 PM
(01-10-2016 07:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  While this thread has turned into yet another gun debate...this news came in:

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A 6-year-old boy who was critically wounded in a school shooting died Saturday, days after a 14-year-old boy opened fire on a school playground, authorities said.
Jacob Hall had been fighting for his life at a hospital after a bullet struck him in a main artery in his leg, causing him a major brain injury due to a "catastrophic" loss of blood, his doctor said. Jacob died about 1 p.m. Saturday, and an autopsy will be done Sunday, Anderson County Coroner Greg Shore said.

Shit. Just read it. Damn.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
02-10-2016, 04:42 AM
(01-10-2016 07:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-10-2016 11:17 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...eople-die/

That's talking about criminals killed, not lives defended or crimes prevented.
It's a ridiculous comparison.

You didn't read it. As usual.

And I won't bother going over the problems with the fast access devices, you already know and have dismissed the problems with them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2016, 11:33 AM
(02-10-2016 04:42 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(01-10-2016 07:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  That's talking about criminals killed, not lives defended or crimes prevented.
It's a ridiculous comparison.

You didn't read it. As usual.

I read it, so piss off.

And please explain the big, bold "Guns are rarely used to kill criminals" on the first page.

Quote:And I won't bother going over the problems with the fast access devices, you already know and have dismissed the problems with them.

Again you demand perfection. Get real.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
02-10-2016, 12:38 PM
(01-10-2016 07:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  While this thread has turned into yet another gun debate...this news came in:

Sadcryface I feel so sad for everyone.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-10-2016, 12:48 PM
(02-10-2016 12:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Sadcryface I feel so sad for everyone.
I feel sad for a first world, seemingly advanced society in which such occurences as this, and others involving guns, can happen so often. For so many that have, totally unecessarily, lost loved ones and friends for the sake of a few words on a piece of paper and the need for some to feel powerful.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
02-10-2016, 01:19 PM
(02-10-2016 11:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 04:42 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You didn't read it. As usual.

I read it, so piss off.

And please explain the big, bold "Guns are rarely used to kill criminals" on the first page.

Quote:And I won't bother going over the problems with the fast access devices, you already know and have dismissed the problems with them.

Again you demand perfection. Get real.

How many people die accidentally for every shooting in self-defense? The numbers in the article.

And where do I demand perfection, my dear Mr. Bolger?

Seriously, people have accused me of making a sock. Please tell them you're not a creation of mine.
02-10-2016, 01:53 PM
So, how does any of this explain why a 14 year old home schooled child shoots his father dead and then goes to an elementary school and shoots?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-10-2016, 02:05 PM

I was going to say something about how this is terrible but at least the other two victims are apparently okay. Then I realized how sad it is that I live in a world where "at least he only managed to kill one kid" is a comforting thought.

Weeping

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
02-10-2016, 03:08 PM
(02-10-2016 01:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  So, how does any of this explain why a 14 year old home schooled child shoots his father dead and then goes to an elementary school and shoots?
It does not, none of us have any knowledge of tbe family dynamics, politics, beliefs, ethics or any other factor that has a bearing.

The only thing we can we can discuss is the common factor between this and similar killings: that a disturbed kid had access to a deadly weapon, a pistol, and employed it for the purpose for which it was made, to kill other people.

It is still relevant to the whole picture. To prevent one situation you may have to change another. But those who wish to do so are a single purpose group, the prevention of murder by firearms, against vested industrial and commercial interest, political lobbying and those supporting the freedom to own guns supporting politicians financially; the harking back to near legendary and mythical historical imnperatives that should no longer have any validity in a civilised country. Et-bloody-cetera.

That leads, logically, onto access to firearms in general. If you want to end these killings sort out the causes first - both the, often demonstrated, too easy access to guns and the psychological monitoring and support systems that should find the disturbed children before they attain the status of killers. That this child was home schooled presumbably meant he was not subject to any regular mood and behaviour monitoring as, one hopes, kids in schools are - if only in a casual manner.

Is there any official monitoring of home-schooled children in the US? ''Free schools'', that can be set up by a group of parents in the UK, are subject to official monitoring for quality at least.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.