School shooting at SC Elementary School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2016, 05:15 PM
RE: School shooting at SC Elementary School
(02-10-2016 01:19 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 11:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  I read it, so piss off.

And please explain the big, bold "Guns are rarely used to kill criminals" on the first page.

Again you demand perfection. Get real.

How many people die accidentally for every shooting in self-defense? The numbers in the article.

And where do I demand perfection, my dear Mr. Bolger?

Bolger? Consider

My apologies - I was confusing you and Gloucester.

Quote:Seriously, people have accused me of making a sock. Please tell them you're not a creation of mine.

Huh

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2016, 05:18 PM
This boy was home-schooled and he killed his father. Then shot at people in a public school.

I'm seeing a causal chain there.

02-10-2016, 11:22 PM
(01-10-2016 11:17 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...eople-die/

This doesn't rebut my point.
Find all posts by this user
03-10-2016, 02:35 AM
(02-10-2016 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  This boy was home-schooled and he killed his father. Then shot at people in a public school.

Very probably.

But that does not negate the problem of the availability of the firearm to a minor or that link with other killings. Thus the link with the too lax laws of gun ownership.

If you need to pass an exam to drive a car why not one to own a weapon that only has a single purpose - killing people? No demonstration of skill and knowledge of safety, no compulsory hours under instruction - no permit to purchase?

Oh, sorry, forgot the piece of paper and the legend history.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
03-10-2016, 05:57 AM
(02-10-2016 01:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  So, how does any of this explain why a 14 year old home schooled child shoots his father dead and then goes to an elementary school and shoots?

He's an asshole????

That's the usual reason....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-10-2016, 06:00 AM
(03-10-2016 02:35 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  This boy was home-schooled and he killed his father. Then shot at people in a public school.

Very probably.

But that does not negate the problem of the availability of the firearm to a minor or that link with other killings. Thus the link with the too lax laws of gun ownership.

A child should not have unsupervised access to a firearm.
But you do seem to be conflating ownership and access. It is not legal for children to purchase or own firearms.

Quote:If you need to pass an exam to drive a car why not one to own a weapon that only has a single purpose - killing people? No demonstration of skill and knowledge of safety, no compulsory hours under instruction - no permit to purchase?

Those regulations exist where I reside (Massachusetts) and in other states, as well.
Unfortunately, they are not universal.

03-10-2016, 06:03 AM
(03-10-2016 06:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 02:35 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Very probably.

But you do seem to be conflating ownership and access. It is not legal for children to purchase or own firearms.

Quote:If you need to pass an exam to drive a car why not one to own a weapon that only has a single purpose - killing people? No demonstration of skill and knowledge of safety, no compulsory hours under instruction - no permit to purchase?

Those regulations exist where I reside (Massachusetts) and in other states, as well.

I'd say it depends on the kid.....

When I was 16 - one whole month after I got my driver's license ---

A buddy of mine and I packed up the truck (with a camper on the back) -- with guns and supplies -- and went up north to go deer hunting -- with no adult supervision...............

No problems.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
03-10-2016, 08:27 AM
(03-10-2016 06:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'd say it depends on the kid.....

When I was 16 - one whole month after I got my driver's license ---

A buddy of mine and I packed up the truck (with a camper on the back) -- with guns and supplies -- and went up north to go deer hunting -- with no adult supervision...............

No problems.....

Think Banjo was living in the outback with an elephant gun when he was 8. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-10-2016, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 09:07 AM by Gloucester.)
(03-10-2016 06:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 02:35 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Very probably.

I am putting together irresponsible ownership, or at least poor security, of firearms by parents or other adults who have legal ownership and the obvious fact that this disturbed child gained access to a firearm.

Think we have been round this loop before, Chas, as others have hinted it seems that you tend to not see what do not want to see.

here we go again, the mere fact that there are x million guns owned by x million adults who possibly cover every inch of the ''normal'' spectrum means there will be x thousand, at least, irresponsible owners. They might well start of on the right track but after, oh, three years of locking the gun in this draw, locking the ammo in that drawe ans then unlocking it all and putting it in the pocket or handbag or holster in the morning. The good habits slip faster than the bad ones every time. Aw, just leave it all in the bureau draw, in the handbag, in the pocket...

Good to hear that some states have tight regulation before a permit to purchase is issued. Perhaps annual tests in future?

This child apparently killed his farther.
Did he
a. acquire the gun because it was easily accessible, then kill his father with it before he killed the others?
b. stab his father, take the keys, access the firearm and then proceed to use it at the school?

I have not reread the information given so far I have to admit. But the a. situation indicates a poor level of responsibility aqnd the b. situation may indicate a better level.

If 1 in 1000 of the possible 51 million households with a gun has lax security and safety then that makes 51000 danger spots. if 1 in 1000 of those have a disturbed, drunk, macho, dumb or whatever kid then that is a mere 51 potential incidents. I agree that is not a lot, but I am trying to be conservative.

Still too many.

But then, how many disturbed etc adults have access to firearms? Again wether legally or due to lax security does not matter, it is the potential for committing murder, for loss of life, that matters. I am going to guess that, overall, it is very high. Somewhere in the hundreds over any ten year period?

99 safe owners are let down by one unsafe owner. It is the safe owners that should be fighting for maximum regulation nationwide to protect their own interests.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
03-10-2016, 09:30 AM
N.V.M.