Schools in Augusta, VA close down because morons.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2015, 10:19 AM
RE: Schools in Augusta, VA close down because morons.
Teaching about religion in a class where it's relevant to the curriculum is not in any way an endorsement of that religion.

But, lets say it is. Your comment was focused on the Islam aspect of this, per your "apologists" comment. And, the yahoos who started this were concerned this was an attempt to convert their kids. The one woman makes it pretty clear that she would be ok with a similar statement about Jesus.

Your reflexive reaction to anything involving Muslims makes, at least to me, your judgement and opinions very suspect. I'm not kidding when I say I don't know how you leave the house.

Ok, I'm somewhat kidding but you get the point.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2015, 10:23 AM
How about have the kids write "fuck islam, and fuck allah" in Arabic? I could support that....
[+] 2 users Like Matt Finney's post
18-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Quote:The illustrative classical Arabic phrase was the basic statement in Islam. It translated to: "There is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is the messenger of Allah

The fact that this was the message makes the assignment fucked up. I would have wiped my ass with the paper and gave it back to the teacher.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
18-12-2015, 10:31 AM
(18-12-2015 10:19 AM)BnW Wrote:  Teaching about religion in a class where it's relevant to the curriculum is not in any way an endorsement of that religion.

But, lets say it is. Your comment was focused on the Islam aspect of this, per your "apologists" comment. And, the yahoos who started this were concerned this was an attempt to convert their kids. The one woman makes it pretty clear that she would be ok with a similar statement about Jesus.

Your reflexive reaction to anything involving Muslims makes, at least to me, your judgement and opinions very suspect. I'm not kidding when I say I don't know how you leave the house.

I have no problem teaching kids about religion.

I do have problems with a few things in this case. This is geography class. What the hell is a calligraphy assignment doing in geography class? Don't see the relevance one bit. Why the choice in that one particular sentence? This sentence is the Muslim shahada. Declaration of faith. The first of the 5 pillars of Islam. It's one thing to say to the kids "Islam has five pillars of faith, the first is the shahada." Its a whole different thing to have the kids practice writing it, in calligraphy, in a geography class. I don't remember doing calligraphy in any class except advanced writing class.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
18-12-2015, 10:31 AM
(18-12-2015 07:56 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Yea because gun worshipers never freak out at the hint of pragmatic laws. Their solution to these threats is more guns, if you just have everyone armed nobody would freak out needlessly.

[Image: 9331bbf6fb7d80fbd4737b2179b700d4.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like KUSA's post
18-12-2015, 10:35 AM
(18-12-2015 10:31 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 10:19 AM)BnW Wrote:  Teaching about religion in a class where it's relevant to the curriculum is not in any way an endorsement of that religion.

I have no problem teaching kids about religion.

I do have problems with a few things in this case. This is geography class. What the hell is a calligraphy assignment doing in geography class? Don't see the relevance one bit. Why the choice in that one particular sentence? This sentence is the Muslim shahada. Declaration of faith. The first of the 5 pillars of Islam. It's one thing to say to the kids "Islam has five pillars of faith, the first is the shahada." Its a whole different thing to have the kids practice writing it, in calligraphy, in a geography class. I don't remember doing calligraphy in any class except advanced writing class.

"...written in Arabic. In the space below, try copying it by hand. This should give you an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy."

It's about the writing in that culture.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-12-2015, 10:39 AM
(18-12-2015 10:04 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 09:59 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  See, I have no problem with it. They're studying religions of the world, in a world geography class. I'm not worried about an assignment trying to convert my kids. Given the context of the class, it's appropriate.

I would have a problem if were a math or science class, or even English class doing this.

Why are they practicing calligraphy in geography class? Why that choice of words? Why not something secular in Arabic?

Because they're studying religions of the world. Caligraphy is part of the culture, the statement of faith is part of the Islamic religion. This is not a difficult thing to understand or wrap your head around.

Why calligraphy? Because it's difficult and somewhat fun. I'd much rather they do an assignment like that than be forced to memorize passages from the Quran.

I also have no problem with the King James Version of the bible being used as an example in a writing or English class.

We can't pretend religion doesn't exist and we shouldn't forget it's out there. I also wouldn't want kids to think all the messages other religions have are only secular...because that's just bullshit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-12-2015, 10:46 AM
(18-12-2015 10:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  It's about the writing in that culture.

Then it should have said:

Qur'an (2:282) - Establishes that a woman's testimony is worth only half that of a man's in court.

شهادة امرأة يستحق نصف فقط من رجل في المحكمة
18-12-2015, 10:55 AM
(18-12-2015 10:46 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 10:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  It's about the writing in that culture.

Then it should have said:

Qur'an (2:282) - Establishes that a woman's testimony is worth only half that of a man's in court.

شهادة امرأة يستحق نصف فقط من رجل في المحكمة

Since none of them read Arabic, it doesn't matter what it says. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-12-2015, 11:41 AM
I assume the threats that forced the schools to shut down came from the parents!

I wish people could be brought up on charges of Obstruction Of Education! Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post