Schrodinger's cat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Schrodinger's cat
In the classic thought experiment, the cat in the box can be thought of as both alive & dead, until the box is opened and we discover which state the cat is in.

My addition to this thought experiment goes like this.
Before the box is opened, it undergoes some manner of deadly trauma ensuring that the cat is dead if it wasn't already dead.

In other words, you could affect the box to insure that the deadly state is the cat's current state.
But what you couldn't do, is perform an action that insured it's living state.

Once it's dead, it's dead, but if it's alive, you can alter that state before opening the box.

In other words, what I'm asking is, Is this the case in quantum mechanics ?

If something in QM can have attribute A or attribute B, is there some action you can take to insure that it would have either attribute before you checked ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2017, 12:56 AM
RE: Schrodinger's cat
Personally, I've always thought Schrödinger was just having a bit of a laugh with this.

[Image: funny-picture-cat-lost-schrodinger.jpg]

Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
02-04-2017, 05:19 AM
(01-04-2017 07:12 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  In the classic thought experiment, the cat in the box can be thought of as both alive & dead, until the box is opened and we discover which state the cat is in.

Before the box is opened, it undergoes some manner of deadly trauma ensuring that the cat is dead if it wasn't already dead.

In other words, you could affect the box to insure that the deadly state is the cat's current state.

Once it's dead, it's dead, but if it's alive, you can alter that state before opening the box.

If something in QM can have attribute A or attribute B, is there some action you can take to insure that it would have either attribute before you checked ?

> Sounds to me like nothing more than an exercise in cruelty toward animals. Dodgy
02-04-2017, 06:00 AM
(02-04-2017 12:56 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Personally, I've always thought Schrödinger was just having a bit of a laugh with this.

[Image: funny-picture-cat-lost-schrodinger.jpg]

Tongue

Sort of. He created this thought experiment to show the absurdity of the Copenhagen Interpretation of QM.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2017, 06:36 PM
(02-04-2017 05:19 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 07:12 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  In the classic thought experiment, the cat in the box can be thought of as both alive & dead, until the box is opened and we discover which state the cat is in.

> Sounds to me like nothing more than an exercise in cruelty toward animals. Dodgy

Shrodinger's Cat is supposed to be a *thought* experiment and no actual animals are supposed to be harmed. A lot of amusing science fiction has been written on the topic of experimenters who were less ethical. It gave birth to Pixel, The Cat That Walks Through Walls. It all began when the kitten (You heartless bastard!) involved realized that being in a state of quantum superposition not only meant that the experimenter coldn't know if she was dead or alive but also couldn't know if she was actually in the box. "Bugger this poison gas nonsense!" she figured and simply walked out. She has been known to travel between moving vehicles, including spacecraft. It is a testament to her durability that Pixel has managed to outlive her original author.

Another twist is Shrodinger's Cat Bomb. This is accomplished by including sensors that monitor the cat's vital signs and an H-bomb within the box. If the cat dies, the bomb goes off. As soon as the box is closed everybody within the blast radius is rendered simultaneously alive and dead.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
03-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Doesn't it show how observation influences outcome?
03-04-2017, 07:18 PM
[Image: R5VOTcI.png]

living word
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-04-2017, 07:31 PM
The stupid brain immediately kicks out "decoherence." The less stupid part of the brain warns that you are rapidly veering off into eye-glaze territory.

Quote:If something in QM can have attribute A or attribute B, is there some action you can take to insure that it would have either attribute before you checked ?

The measurement is that action. Answer your own question, solve a fundamental problem of quantum computing and make a zillion dollars. Thumbsup

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-04-2017, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2017 07:44 PM by Vera.)
[Image: 1mmsjj.jpg]

Fixed that for you (slightly crappily Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
03-04-2017, 07:59 PM
(03-04-2017 07:18 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [Image: R5VOTcI.png]

[reaches out to pet nice kitty...NOT]
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post