Sci-Fi will always become science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Sci-Fi will always become science?
I've always thought that the first vehicles we get to go faster than light will look very much like starships from Star Trek and that one day our computers will behave like the home computer from Iron Man. Or even that eventually our automobiles will drive themselves and be able to hover through multiple levels to ease congestion.

These things have already been thought up for sci-fi, and I think that is the very reason why they will eventually have to happen.
I think there are two types of science that will be directly affected by what's written in Science Fiction;
There is obviously the very good sci-fi writers who spend years perfecting their theories for how their fictional technology works and end up arriving at the most plausible theory they can muster, which then ends up being the theory that recreates the technology in the real world.
Then after that is things which the logic behind then isn't necessarily sound, but their design is influential and is deliberately used with technologies either because the theory was developed by a fan of the fiction or it seems like the most logical vessel for it.

So I think that the futures dreamt up by Sci-fi writers will have to become reality simply because of the nature of sci-fi and the fact that they are known either to the general public or to the nerdy types who drive humanity forward.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
22-02-2012, 02:25 AM
RE: Sci-Fi will always become science?
At least SciFi is a good source of ideas

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
22-02-2012, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2012 02:41 AM by mysticjbyrd.)
Warp speed...not gonna happen.
Hovering cars, already have them, just not plausible. Unless you mean anti-gravity flying cars, which I don't see happening either.
Cars that drive themselves, got that, though its still quite new.
Iron man computer, could probably design something similar to that now or the near future, but I fail to see the purpose.

Personally I think people find the links between sci-fi and reality because they want to. Sort of like the people who find prophecy in the bible.
22-02-2012, 08:32 AM
I think you almost have it mystic.
I think the reasons we see our scifi in our tech is simply because the people inventing and designing it love scifi too and want to make the gings they've seen.
It's all quite plausible.
Also we've had cars that could drive themselves for years. I used to read about them all the time and even had the chance to see two of them working when I was 19 at a science convention. Pretty cool stuff.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2012, 12:18 PM
(22-02-2012 02:31 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Warp speed...not gonna happen.
Hovering cars, already have them, just not plausible. Unless you mean anti-gravity flying cars, which I don't see happening either.
Cars that drive themselves, got that, though its still quite new.
Iron man computer, could probably design something similar to that now or the near future, but I fail to see the purpose.

Personally I think people find the links between sci-fi and reality because they want to. Sort of like the people who find prophecy in the bible.

I think that's a pretty bogus comparison really.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
25-02-2012, 04:22 AM
I don't think I'd say sci-fi will always become science fact. However, the imagination is where things begin with curiosity often times.

Good examples of science fiction things having come to reality:

- Realistic human like robots
- Artificial intelligence
- Holograms
- Touch screen/interactive devices
- Voice recognition
- Space ships (shuttles, rockets)
- Lasers capable of doing damage
- Heat rays

The list can go on and on. But a lot of these were things that were fantasy up until the point someone went... "I wonder if we could do that.. hmmmmmm." then years later, BLAMMO!

Although I agree comparing it to religion is a bad comparison. But the motivation through inspiration of great ideas is sometimes what sparks the major inventions of the century.
25-02-2012, 02:24 PM
On topic, I think yes that Sci-FI will always become science based on the definition of Sci-Fi.

I disagree with the prophecy conspiracy a whole lot... There are parts of the alleged Bible prophecy that has the same connection I think is there with Sci-Fi to real science.

A believe a big part of why Sci-Fi becomes science is because how those specific texts/media influence people. Plenty of early innovators and rocket engineers were known to be big fans of sci-fi writers like H.G. Wells, Jules Vern, Aurthur C. Clark, or other models of pulp comics. Many of them get influenced by those ideas and try to work on making a realistic version of those stories.

The does compare somewhat to the Bible in how the state of Israel was rebuilt and steer-headed by many literal Christians because it was supposedly prophecy for Israel to be rebuilt.
25-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Science fiction, like any fiction stimulates the imagination.
But unlike other genres, science fiction can give us a glimpse into the future and what lies beyond the here and now.
Can this inspire us to create now what we may need in the future?
I think it can, and I think it does…
If you walked into a NASA engineering lab today what would the chances of finding a model of the Enterprise or the Galactica be?

We might not get it just like the original, but we get pretty close.
Jules Vern would be impressed with a modern submarine I’m sure.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
05-03-2012, 11:40 PM
As a fan of Warhammer 40k I can honestly say I sure as hell hope it doesn't become reality because that is a horrible universe to live in

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
06-03-2012, 07:14 AM

"What would you little maniacs like to do first???"

Erm...... not leave my bedroom until I was dying of thirst/exhaustion/the cops came looking for me Big Grin

I do wonder at what we will see in our lifetime.....the intergration between homo-sapien and machine will possibly blur the boundaries of what we define as "human"

Singularity may be achieved sooner rather than later......then it goes beyond our dreams and into the dreams of AI.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.