Sci-Fi will always become science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2012, 08:42 AM
RE: Sci-Fi will always become science?
Actually, it depends on what you are talking about.

Much of early sci-fi was written by actual scientists, who were using their imagination to try and predict what they were actually going to be able to invent in the future. Other sci-fi writers were perhaps not scientists themselves but were well versed in real science. For example, Arthur C. Clarke is actually credited as INVENTING geosynchronous orbit for communications satellites by figuring out how it would work in one of his fictional books.

Today, much of "sci-fi" is really fantasy in space. There is still a lot of hard sci-fi out there but you have to read it, it doesn't make it to Hollywood very often.

Of course the big one is FTL(heh or "Superluminal" speeds - c wut I did there?) I'm not really convinced that physics can rule it out yet. We can't even describe the properties of any exotic matter yet, nor fundamentally define the geometry or properties of many sub-atomic particles and forces such as gravity, or the behaviors of bizarre things such as quarks and their inverse relationship of mass and size.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I agree, but I don't think science fiction will become science fact directly. For example, before a man was put on the moon, there was cartoons showing a man jumping around on the moon in a metal spacesuit. Of course, we did eventually put a man on the moon but the spacesuits were not made of metal. You know what I mean?
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
10-03-2012, 12:33 AM
(06-03-2012 03:00 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I agree, but I don't think science fiction will become science fact directly. For example, before a man was put on the moon, there was cartoons showing a man jumping around on the moon in a metal spacesuit. Of course, we did eventually put a man on the moon but the spacesuits were not made of metal. You know what I mean?

+1

It’s a mental sketch in a way, not the blueprint, more of an idea of the beginning of a work in progress.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
10-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Agreed. Often times the ideas to sprout the inspiration of what becomes... but that does make sense Magoo.
14-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I don't think it drives humanity forward. People don't do things to advance humanity, they see science fiction as entertainment. The real catalysts of humanity are physicists and astronomers and people who create technology because they want to, not because of "Star Trek" or "Star Wars". Regular sci-fi fans aren't smart enough to drive people forward, since they don't contribute anything to science, just its entertainment. I like the fact that we are advancing, but I don't sci-fi advances us, it just gives us a preview. We are advancing because we want to, not as a tribute Gene Roddenberry or H.G. Wells or Arthur C. Clarke.
14-03-2012, 04:27 PM
You have to keep in mind that there are several things in the 50s that were considered "fiction" but are now reality. Though I know that some scifi things are impossible, I am always open to the possibilities. Science fiction is definitely a way to wonder.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]