Science Based Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2015, 06:40 PM
RE: Science Based Religion
(16-07-2015 04:08 PM)mperkel Wrote:  I like your ideas about science based religion. Have you looked at the Church of Reality? It's a religion based on believing in everything that's real.

This is a 4 year old post, this person is long long gone from this board.

but man it's odd seeing how long ago some posters that were here have been gone when you see old necros.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2015, 11:07 AM
(28-02-2011 11:15 PM)gamutman Wrote:  A religion based on science? They tried that once before. It didn't work.

[Image: Mutant_service.jpg]
Seriously though, have you been reading the novel, Blasphemy?

They did? What religion was that?
23-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Oddly enough I am currently seeking to see if there has ever been a religion based on rational thought, and exploration, instead of the blind proffering of answers that have no underlying(or horribly malformed) questions. The search for that lead me to this post. Asking about that would breach a whole new thread, but what I can ask about here, is the belief that intersectionalism between rational thought and a religious belief system are incompatible, the way that Schrodinger and the SPCA are incompatible.
23-11-2015, 11:22 AM
[Image: 23376d1415674547-check-engine-light-3171...dcbfcc.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
23-11-2015, 11:27 AM
(23-11-2015 11:15 AM)cainchild Wrote:  Oddly enough I am currently seeking to see if there has ever been a religion based on rational thought, and exploration, instead of the blind proffering of answers that have no underlying(or horribly malformed) questions. The search for that lead me to this post. Asking about that would breach a whole new thread, but what I can ask about here, is the belief that intersectionalism between rational thought and a religious belief system are incompatible, the way that Schrodinger and the SPCA are incompatible.

Faith (religions) is the abandonment of reason. The answer is "no".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-11-2015, 12:52 PM
(23-11-2015 11:15 AM)cainchild Wrote:  Oddly enough I am currently seeking to see if there has ever been a religion based on rational thought, and exploration, instead of the blind proffering of answers that have no underlying(or horribly malformed) questions. The search for that lead me to this post. Asking about that would breach a whole new thread, but what I can ask about here, is the belief that intersectionalism between rational thought and a religious belief system are incompatible,

Religious faith and the scientific method are incompatible. Some people seem to be able to compartmentalize and reduce the clashing and clanging of the inherent cognitive dissonance that results. Drinking Beverage

Quote:the way that Schrodinger and the SPCA are incompatible.

Huh? I don't think you understand what "Schoedinger's Cat" means at all. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Quote:Some of the most basic functions of religion are to help us understand our place in the world

Nope. religion is gap filling, it allows humans to make horrible guesses. It is a flaw because humans do no have a biological scientific understanding of how easy flawed perceptions can lead us to bad guesses.

Religion is like pretending a kaleidoscope is a telescope. It only serves the function of creating a group, it does not mean that group's logic is correct. It just means humans like surrounding themselves with people who agree with them.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user