"Science Can Explain Religion" says Vlogger

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 09:17 PM
"Science Can Explain Religion" says Vlogger
So recently, a vlogger who I am subscribed to on youtube posted a video with the title, "Science Can Explain Religion". Within this video the vlogger goes on to talk about an argument/debate that they had with a "devout atheist" and then proceeded to present his arguments in favor of religion/spirituality. Some of the arguments presented were about the brain, and how it produces electricity and magnetic field and it's relation to the Earth's magnetic field. Eventually he states that if you have a powerful enough thought, you could affect the Earth's magnetic field. It's around this point is when the vlogger starts to lose me.

All I seem to have taken away from this video is that the presenter believes in some form of higher power and that you can affect the earth's magnetic field if you think hard enough and that they believe that this is how science can explain religion/spirituality. To me, their arguments and conclusions do not seem very sound.

What do you think?

(Also, sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section, still getting used to posting)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2012, 10:26 PM
RE: "Science Can Explain Religion" says Vlogger
There are much better examinations of this question by Dr. Steven Pinker, from Harvard, Dr. Andy Anderson, both, all over YouTube. Evolutionary Psych has been looking at this question for many years, and has it pretty much figured out.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
20-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Sounds like something Egor might say at one point in his ever changing spiritual journey. Smile

(Egor is a TTA theist member)
22-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Science can explain religion, by understanding how the human brain works. However, this video is a bunch of nonsense.
22-08-2012, 04:23 PM
I agree with Superluminal.
This video makes NO sense whatsoever lol
22-08-2012, 11:03 PM
I knew the video would be ridiculous when the paused screencap was a POV on a motorcycle.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
22-08-2012, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 12:51 AM by Free Thought.)
He says something along the lines of "There's electrons, and they flow through various cells along a pathway, and the entire nerve pathway is essentially a wire, and the brains essentially a big coil of wire, a big bundle of smaller coils..."

I am pretty damn certain that the brain itself does not function as a coil, or a series of coils... Consider
Excl Waring! Speculation!Excl

I think it's better explained like an electrical circuit board, built of neurons (being the main "points", where the circuit breaks off to connect to other sections), axons, the lines in between every "point", serving as connections so that current can move through out the circuit, and finally ending in dendrites, nerve endings that release current to its target (actually they sprout from neurons but its as good of an example as I am able), they serve as the "Output" section of the circuit... Or perhaps more accurately, the OutputS..
Edit: I forgot the add in the place of the neurotransmitters. "Neurotransmitters are the chemicals which allow the transmission of signals from one neuron to the next across synapses. They are also found at the axon endings of motor neurons, where they stimulate the muscle fibers."(1) I guess neurotransmitters are analogous to the electrical current, since they pass information (signals) down through neurons and cause muscle stimulation (at the Output (dendrites) )... that look right?

(I'm not all that good with electronics so it may be a flawed example, but I know my nervous system fairly well, I hope.)

Please, please correct me if I am wrong and I shall make adjustments, maybe tell me via message or something, mistakes are easier to catch that way for me.

(Science guys, please be merciful on me... Sadcryface )

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
23-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Well, of course. Science can explain religion - it's called brain atrophy.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/132456883.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...t-of-brain

http://www.trendbuzz.com/health/13932/re...inked.html

So this motorcycle riding retard has decided the brain can effect the earth's electromagnetic field, just by thinking shit. Cool.

I suggest we all lick a tab of windowpane and think about this shit for another 6 hours. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-08-2012, 08:14 PM
(22-08-2012 11:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  He says something along the lines of "There's electrons, and they flow through various cells along a pathway, and the entire nerve pathway is essentially a wire, and the brains essentially a big coil of wire, a big bundle of smaller coils..."

I am pretty damn certain that the brain itself does not function as a coil, or a series of coils... Consider
Excl Waring! Speculation!Excl

I think it's better explained like an electrical circuit board, built of neurons (being the main "points", where the circuit breaks off to connect to other sections), axons, the lines in between every "point", serving as connections so that current can move through out the circuit, and finally ending in dendrites, nerve endings that release current to its target (actually they sprout from neurons but its as good of an example as I am able), they serve as the "Output" section of the circuit... Or perhaps more accurately, the OutputS..

(I'm not all that good with electronics so it may be a flawed example, but I know my nervous system fairly well, I hope.)

Please, please PLEASE correct me if I am wrong and I shall make adjustments, maybe tell me via message or something, mistakes are easier to catch that way for me.

(Science guys, please be merciful on me... Sadcryface )

Your example seems to make more sense to me than the vlogger's explanation.

As far as I know, signals in the brain involve the transfer of chemicals and ions between neurons, but that's pretty much all I "know".

Personally, I would find it frightening if people could actually change the world by just thinking hard enough, as silly as that is... Thankfully though, people can't.
[+] 1 user Likes Badbrew's post
23-08-2012, 09:46 PM

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]