Science Fiction Recos from Wired

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Science Fiction Recos from Wired
I love science fiction, good, spellbinding, edge of your seat science fiction. Stories that suck you in and make you wish you were living them.

I came across an op-ed piece on WIRED magazine rating the top 23 best Sci-Fi books and movies and I was very surprised to see titles and authors I did not recognize Sadcryface

Neal Stephenson, Lev Grossman, Ann Leckie, Ursula K. LeGuin, Hugh Howsey & Helene Wecker are unknows to me. Have any of you read the books authored by them on the list? If so what did you think? Do you have any other recos?

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/best-sci-fi.../#slide-23

[Image: science-fiction_61ab214c.jpeg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2015, 11:05 AM
RE: Science Fiction Recos from Wired
(07-12-2015 11:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I love science fiction, good, spellbinding, edge of your seat science fiction. Stories that suck you in and make you wish you were living them.

I came across an op-ed piece on WIRED magazine rating the top 23 best Sci-Fi books and movies and I was very surprised to see titles and authors I did not recognize Sadcryface

Neal Stephenson, Lev Grossman, Ann Leckie, Ursula K. LeGuin, Hugh Howsey & Helene Wecker are unknows to me. Have any of you read the books authored by them on the list? If so what did you think? Do you have any other recos?

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/best-sci-fi.../#slide-23

[Image: science-fiction_61ab214c.jpeg]

The only one of those I've heard of is Ursula K. LeGuin. Two of her books (including the one on this list) won awards many years ago. I have read both of those and found them good, although they are not so much hard sci-fi as regular stories about people, with some sci-fi elements. But she is a talented writer, and they are good books.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
08-12-2015, 11:26 AM
I was just looking for some good Sci-Fi movies last night, thanks for the list.
08-12-2015, 11:30 AM
I never much cared for Stephenson. Le Guin has real moments of brilliance, though her two most award-winning novels are very much a product of the early 70s - not that that's inherently good or bad. Then again so is Lathe of Heaven, and I love that one to pieces. Leckie is fun; I should really finish the sequels to Ancillary Justice some day. I've never read Grossman or Wecker, but my understanding was that they were more fantasy than sci-fi (though, again, not that that's necessarily good or bad).

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
08-12-2015, 11:31 AM
(08-12-2015 11:26 AM)pablo Wrote:  I was just looking for some good Sci-Fi movies last night, thanks for the list.

Dark City is nowhere near as good as the premise and initial atmosphere might lead you to hope.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
08-12-2015, 10:46 PM
(08-12-2015 11:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:26 AM)pablo Wrote:  I was just looking for some good Sci-Fi movies last night, thanks for the list.

Dark City is nowhere near as good as the premise and initial atmosphere might lead you to hope.
I agree. I liked it but it just wasn't among my favorites. Didn't deliver.
09-12-2015, 06:17 AM
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Still my favorite.

Ancillary Justice - 9 bucks for paperback, 10 bucks for kindle. Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2015, 08:29 AM
(09-12-2015 06:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Still my favorite.

You read? Drinking Beverage

LeGuinn is a Christee so that makes me biased against her, but even when I was a Christian I didn't care for her much.

I'd recommend The Expanse series by James (I think) Corey (definitely Corey).
A great Space Opera in the form of a murder mystery and solar system political intrigue. Now a SyFy show too. It might be enjoyed by others as much as I enjoyed it. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
09-12-2015, 11:30 PM
(09-12-2015 08:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 06:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Still my favorite.

You read? Drinking Beverage

LeGuinn is a Christee so that makes me biased against her, but even when I was a Christian I didn't care for her much.

I'd recommend The Expanse series by James (I think) Corey (definitely Corey).
A great Space Opera in the form of a murder mystery and solar system political intrigue. Now a SyFy show too. It might be enjoyed by others as much as I enjoyed it. Thumbsup

I’ll have to look it up.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
25-02-2016, 10:35 AM
I'd recommend :

The Gap Cycle by Stephen Donaldson. Gritty
Revelation space books by Alistair Reynolds - Author attempts to inject real physical laws and concepts into the stories
Culture series by Ian Banks- I liked the concepts and worldbuilding in these books
Peter Hamilton's series e.g. Night's dawn- A lot more "fantastical" than Reynolds but hard to put down

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post