Science Fiction Recos from Wired

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 08:42 AM
RE: Science Fiction Recos from Wired
(09-12-2015 08:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  LeGuinn is a Christee so that makes me biased against her, but even when I was a Christian I didn't care for her much.

???

In the 1976 introduction to her novel The Left Hand of Darkness, after a paragraph about Apollo, she says:

"I talk about the gods, I am an atheist. But I am an artist too, and therefore a liar. Distrust everything I say. I am telling the truth."

Admittedly, that is ambiguous, but in the Wikipedia article on her, she is quoted as saying "I've been a Taoist ever since I learned what it was." From the same article: At its 2009 convention, the Freedom From Religion Foundation awarded the Emperor Has No Clothes Award to Le Guin. The FFRF describes the award as "celebrating 'plain speaking' on the shortcomings of religion by public figures".

Wikipedia isn't guaranteed to be the last word on anything, but from all of that, I'm having a hard time believing that she is a "Christee". I can find nothing about her anywhere that even mentions Christianity.

Not that that matters anyway. My personal favorite sci-fi/fantasy author, Orson Scott Card, is a Mormon. And although I haven't read any of his stuff yet, I've heard great things about Gene Wolfe (Catholic). Tolkien was Catholic. Religious beliefs do not circumscribe artistic talent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
28-02-2016, 10:56 AM
(09-12-2015 08:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 06:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Still my favorite.

Ancillary Justice - 9 bucks for paperback, 10 bucks for kindle. Dodgy

You read? Drinking Beverage

Laugh out load

Kindle unlimited, noobsauce. About 3 per week.

IDK about the book, but The Expanse was the best series of last season, a rare win for syfy.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2016, 03:36 PM
(08-12-2015 11:30 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I never much cared for Stephenson. Le Guin has real moments of brilliance, though her two most award-winning novels are very much a product of the early 70s - not that that's inherently good or bad. Then again so is Lathe of Heaven, and I love that one to pieces. Leckie is fun; I should really finish the sequels to Ancillary Justice some day. I've never read Grossman or Wecker, but my understanding was that they were more fantasy than sci-fi (though, again, not that that's necessarily good or bad).

Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash is a must-read for atheists, though. I really enjoyed it. My personal favorite sci-fi story is The Forever War by Joe Haldeman... read the Author's Edition (printed in 1991, I think), though, as they edited out much of the story in earlier versions, to its detriment.

And while I prefer Ursula LeGuin's fantasy over her sci-fi, she has a couple of pretty good ones. Haven't heard of Leckie, Grossman, or Wecker.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
01-03-2016, 10:08 PM
(28-02-2016 08:42 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 08:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  LeGuinn is a Christee so that makes me biased against her, but even when I was a Christian I didn't care for her much.

???

In the 1976 introduction to her novel The Left Hand of Darkness, after a paragraph about Apollo, she says:

"I talk about the gods, I am an atheist. But I am an artist too, and therefore a liar. Distrust everything I say. I am telling the truth."

Admittedly, that is ambiguous, but in the Wikipedia article on her, she is quoted as saying "I've been a Taoist ever since I learned what it was." From the same article: At its 2009 convention, the Freedom From Religion Foundation awarded the Emperor Has No Clothes Award to Le Guin. The FFRF describes the award as "celebrating 'plain speaking' on the shortcomings of religion by public figures".

Wikipedia isn't guaranteed to be the last word on anything, but from all of that, I'm having a hard time believing that she is a "Christee". I can find nothing about her anywhere that even mentions Christianity.

Not that that matters anyway. My personal favorite sci-fi/fantasy author, Orson Scott Card, is a Mormon. And although I haven't read any of his stuff yet, I've heard great things about Gene Wolfe (Catholic). Tolkien was Catholic. Religious beliefs do not circumscribe artistic talent.

I heeded a review in Analog magazine for a book by Gene Wolfe, and, in seeking out some new authors, bought a couple of his books. Not impressed. You may like his writing, but the only reason I would buy the remaining books in that series would be for closure of the story line, and I can't bring myself to do that. I do not recall anything in the story line that was overtly Catholic. Maybe I should go look at them again.
02-03-2016, 12:38 PM
(01-03-2016 10:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:42 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ???

I heeded a review in Analog magazine for a book by Gene Wolfe, and, in seeking out some new authors, bought a couple of his books. Not impressed. You may like his writing, but the only reason I would buy the remaining books in that series would be for closure of the story line, and I can't bring myself to do that. I do not recall anything in the story line that was overtly Catholic. Maybe I should go look at them again.

I have just bought a few of his books, and will be trying to read some of them soon. From what I gather, his writing is complicated and literary, and you have to be willing to do some detective work to understand his books. That may not be some people's cup of tea, but it intrigues me. Others on this forum and elsewhere have raved about him.
03-03-2016, 07:37 AM
(28-02-2016 03:36 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash is a must-read for atheists, though. I really enjoyed it.

Jack the sound barrier. Bring the noise.
~ Rat Thing B-372

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
03-03-2016, 07:43 AM
(01-03-2016 10:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I heeded a review in Analog magazine for a book by Gene Wolfe, and, in seeking out some new authors, bought a couple of his books. Not impressed. You may like his writing, but the only reason I would buy the remaining books in that series would be for closure of the story line, and I can't bring myself to do that. I do not recall anything in the story line that was overtly Catholic. Maybe I should go look at them again.

I made it through 2/3 of the first book in his Book of the New Sun series.

It was weird, very evocative and dark. It combined fantasy and sci-fi. It wasn't an easy read. Depends on what you're into I guess. I would say borrow it from a library and see if you like it.

As far as his religion, nothing in the story even remotely hinted at it.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
03-03-2016, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 04:32 PM by cjlr.)
(01-03-2016 10:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I heeded a review in Analog magazine for a book by Gene Wolfe, and, in seeking out some new authors, bought a couple of his books. Not impressed. You may like his writing, but the only reason I would buy the remaining books in that series would be for closure of the story line, and I can't bring myself to do that. I do not recall anything in the story line that was overtly Catholic. Maybe I should go look at them again.

Well, your opinion is clearly wrong.
Big Grin

Actually it's not anything explicitly Catholic, but rather the occasional emphasis of themes recurring in Catholic doctrine and theology.

... this is my signature!
03-03-2016, 04:32 PM
(03-03-2016 07:43 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I made it through 2/3 of the first book in his Book of the New Sun series.

It was weird, very evocative and dark. It combined fantasy and sci-fi. It wasn't an easy read. Depends on what you're into I guess. I would say borrow it from a library and see if you like it.

As far as his religion, nothing in the story even remotely hinted at it.

Seekers of penitence venerating St Catherine didn't sound "even remotely" like a religious reference?
Wink

I had a hard time putting that one down the first time around. The prose is fantastically layered.

The more overtly religious (again, not necessarily specifically Catholic) stuff in that one is in the Coda.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
03-03-2016, 06:48 PM
(03-03-2016 04:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Well, your opinion is clearly wrong.
Big Grin

Actually it's not anything explicitly Catholic, but rather the occasional emphasis of themes recurring in Catholic doctrine and theology.

I haven't considered Catholic doctrine in a dog's age, so I wouldn't know it unless it came up and bit me on the ass, so there's that. And that is an angle that I don't have in my analytical tool kit when I'm reading a story. I'm a pretty literal kind of guy.