Science Fiction Recos from Wired

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 09:49 PM
RE: Science Fiction Recos from Wired
(03-03-2016 04:32 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Seekers of penitence venerating St Catherine didn't sound "even remotely" like a religious reference?
Wink

I had a hard time putting that one down the first time around. The prose is fantastically layered.

The more overtly religious (again, not necessarily specifically Catholic) stuff in that one is in the Coda.

Well, to me that just sounded like typical fantasy-cleric type stuff. When I think overtly religious I think of something like CS Lewis' Narnia.

I'll have to dig out my copy and take a second look.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2016, 02:44 AM
RE: Science Fiction Recos from Wired
(03-03-2016 04:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 10:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I heeded a review in Analog magazine for a book by Gene Wolfe, and, in seeking out some new authors, bought a couple of his books. Not impressed. You may like his writing, but the only reason I would buy the remaining books in that series would be for closure of the story line, and I can't bring myself to do that. I do not recall anything in the story line that was overtly Catholic. Maybe I should go look at them again.

Well, your opinion is clearly wrong.
Big Grin

Well, there it is. Laugh out load

Loved that guy when I was younger, lately, not so much.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply