Science H/W!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Question Science H/W!!
Can someone help with these two questions?
We are doing an assessment on displacement reaction of iron and copper sulphate.
I know that iron displace the copper because it's more reactivity and higher on reactivity series table.
CuSO4 + Fe -> FeSO4 + Cu
Q1. What is the link between the reactivity series and the displacement reaction?
Q2.Will the mass of the beaker and it's contents stay the same throughout the reaction?
Q3.What happens to the appearance and properties of the material before and after the reaction(classified as metals or no-metal)

Please don't make it too complicated for 13 year old mind.Big Grin
Thank you!

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 01:34 PM
RE: Science H/W!!
Are you trying to get us to do your homework Taz? You sneaky sneaky 13 year old.

Unfortunately I blow at stuff and chemistry is one of them. I recommend the movie Love Potion #9. Should help.

or the website chemistry junk
or more chemistry junk
or this chemistry junk

hope it helps.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
04-12-2011, 02:13 PM
(04-12-2011 01:34 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Are you trying to get us to do your homework Taz? You sneaky sneaky 13 year old.

Unfortunately I blow at stuff and chemistry is one of them. I recommend the movie Love Potion #9. Should help.

or the website chemistry junk
or more chemistry junk
or this chemistry junk

hope it helps.

Nooo...Big Grin
I asked my mom and she had been proven to be useless.

04-12-2011, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 03:09 PM by FSM_scot.)
(04-12-2011 01:18 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  Can someone help with these two questions?
We are doing an assessment on displacement reaction of iron and copper sulphate.
I know that iron displace the copper because it's more reactivity and higher on reactivity series table.
CuSO4 + Fe -> FeSO4 + Cu
Q1. What is the link between the reactivity series and the displacement reaction?
Q2.Will the mass of the beaker and it's contents stay the same throughout the reaction?
Q3.What happens to the appearance and properties of the material before and after the reaction(classified as metals or no-metal)

Thank you!

Im currently studying chemistry and the only part of that i understood was the formula.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesiz...rev3.shtml
this may help.

After thinking about it, for Q2 the mass shouldnt change as nothing has been lost/given off. But im basing this on the formula you gave.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
04-12-2011, 03:11 PM
(04-12-2011 02:51 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(04-12-2011 01:18 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  Can someone help with these two questions?
CuSO4 + Fe -> FeSO4 + Cu

Thank you!

Im currently studying chemistry and the only part of that i understood was the formula.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesiz...rev3.shtml
this may help.

After thinking about it, for Q2 the mass shouldnt change as nothing has been lost/given off. But im basing this on the formula you gave.
Thanks! Big Grin

04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
i found this on wiki answers for Q1 "the reactivity series lists elements in order from most reactive to least reactive. in a displacement reaction, a more reactive element will "displace" a less reactive element in a compound, the reactivity series can therefore be used to determine which displacement reactions are possible."
(no idea if this helps i dont need to learn this stuff at college)

Q3 im not sure what you mean by that. When you say metals and non metals, after the reaction copper is the metal and the iron is in a compound with the sulphate so i dont think you can class it as either. If you mean the bonding in both the CuSO4 and the FeSO4 it would be ionic bonding as its between a metal and nonmetals.

Can you elaborate what you mean by that?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
04-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Goddam Tazmin, what kinda school you in at the ripe old age of 13? Oxford? Cambridge? Sheffield?

No wonder you're an atheist at such a young age. Religion had no prayer against you.

And no I can't help you with your chemistry because I tried it 3 times and dropped out each time muttering "This ain't science, this is just fucking magic and I can't understand the incantations."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-12-2011, 03:48 PM
(04-12-2011 03:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Religion had no prayer against you.

OK, I may have to steal that one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd try Khan Academy. have you?

http://www.khanacademy.org/#chemistry

Usually these small lessons help in remembering things.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
04-12-2011, 06:29 PM
(04-12-2011 03:49 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'd try Khan Academy. have you?

I'm so in love with that site! I've watched probably 90% of their videos, getting my remedial education in biology, cosmology/astronomy, and various mathematics. I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.