Science Library?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Science Library?
The Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library is an awesome idea and incredibly useful thread. I was wondering if there was anyone here who might be willing to come up with a Science Informational Resource Library with links to helpful resources on different fields of science?

I am definitely not qualified, so I'll just put it out there if anyone has the gumption to tackle it. Or if there is perhaps a thread already out there somewhere like this hit me with a link.

I dunno, I like learning stuff now way more than I did when I was suppose to be doing it. Tongue It would be great to have a one stop all inclusive thread of material for it, because dammit, I've got a lot to learn.

Good idea? Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2013, 10:55 PM
RE: Science Library?
I think it's a good idea, I'm with you on wanting to learn!

Unfortunately, I can't contribute anything to this potential database. But if it happens I'd devour it!
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
05-10-2013, 06:40 AM
(04-10-2013 10:52 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library is an awesome idea and incredibly useful thread. I was wondering if there was anyone here who might be willing to come up with a Science Informational Resource Library with links to helpful resources on different fields of science?

I am definitely not qualified, so I'll just put it out there if anyone has the gumption to tackle it. Or if there is perhaps a thread already out there somewhere like this hit me with a link.

I dunno, I like learning stuff now way more than I did when I was suppose to be doing it. Tongue It would be great to have a one stop all inclusive thread of material for it, because dammit, I've got a lot to learn.

Good idea? Consider

Good idea.

The first thing should be a book list.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2013, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 04:55 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I'm sure we can pool our knowledge. I can recommend some decent books on primate (including human) evolution.
05-10-2013, 04:27 PM
descent books on ... evolution. Laughat

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
05-10-2013, 04:47 PM
(05-10-2013 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  descent books on ... evolution. Laughat

C'mon chas. I want facts, not theories. Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
05-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I always liked this one
The Invisible Gorilla: How Our Intuitions Deceive Us
Good stuff on how people fool themselves and how you're not as confident as you think you are.
50 Popular Beliefs That People Think Are True
Covers myths about angels, race, psychics and much more
09-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Here's one that I am currently reading:

Jerry Coyne-Why Evolution is True
09-10-2013, 12:47 PM
(09-10-2013 12:41 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Here's one that I am currently reading:

Jerry Coyne-Why Evolution is True

no way me too!Smile
09-10-2013, 01:13 PM
I can recommend you some good textbooks. But, uh, maybe that's not the most useful thing... Shit, though, maybe it is. The introductory textbooks for a general first-year university course ought to be essentially layman-approachable, given that the only assumed background is high school.

But let's see. Physics. You can't go wrong with Hawking (A Brief History of Time, The Universe in a Nutshell). Kind of esoteric though. I can also once again plug pretty much my favourite book ever (seriously!), A Cultural History of Physics by Károly Simonyi.

... this is my signature!