Science... Phooey!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Science... Phooey!

Although his ideas should more probably be categorised as pseudoscience, what do you think of the basic implied tenet that all the 'dogmas' of science should be continually scrutinised?

Or, at least, continually revisited as and when our instrumentation advances.

Huh

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-12-2014, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 10:39 AM by pablo.)
RE: Science... Phooey!
I thought that was what did happen.
I remember Lawrence Krauss saying that was how you get famous as a scientist, by taking someones elses accepted work and proving it wrong.
20-12-2014, 10:57 AM
(20-12-2014 10:19 AM)pablo Wrote:  I thought that was what did happen.
I remember Lawrence Krauss saying that was how you get famous as a scientist, by taking someones else's accepted work and proving it wrong.

So who's working on recalculating the speed of light right now?

Big Grin

20-12-2014, 11:02 AM
(20-12-2014 10:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Although his ideas should more probably be categorised as pseudoscience, what do you think of the basic implied tenet that all the 'dogmas' of science should be continually scrutinised?

Huh

I think it basically evil and we should cling to our dogmas with extreme clinginess. After all, science is just another religion... We should set up vast "campuses" as temples to our faith, and indoctrinate doctors and other such people with the tenets of science. BUT never question them. ALSO we faked the Moon landings but shhhhh... don't tell anyone...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
20-12-2014, 11:53 AM
I was going to say that is how stupid you americans are, but then I saw the man speaking is from england, so bad england don't be stupid, and sorry I thought it was you america.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
20-12-2014, 06:10 PM
(20-12-2014 10:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
I remember Lawrence Krauss saying that was how you get famous as a scientist, by taking someones else's accepted work and proving it wrong.

Big Grin

Probably some physics student somewhere.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
20-12-2014, 06:15 PM
(20-12-2014 10:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Huh

Popper, Kuhn, even Locke et al,have shared similar views.

Science isn't totally a one way street!
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
21-12-2014, 09:47 AM
(20-12-2014 10:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Big Grin

I don't know about the speed of light but I still say it's impossible to go back in time if you surpass the speed of light. See into the past sure, but travel? no way.

[Image: oscar.png]
21-12-2014, 10:03 AM
(21-12-2014 09:47 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 10:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So who's working on recalculating the speed of light right now?

Big Grin

I don't know about the speed of light but I still say it's impossible to go back in time if you surpass the speed of light. See into the past sure, but travel? no way.

Ohmy

Where's your faith?

21-12-2014, 10:07 AM
(20-12-2014 10:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Although his ideas should more probably be categorised as pseudoscience, what do you think of the basic implied tenet that all the 'dogmas' of science should be continually scrutinised?

I think we'll find that scientists are generally pretty good at continually challenging their processes and conclusions, but....

Will never challenge science itself.

That is, there is seemingly an unexamined assumption, a matter of faith, that more knowledge is always better.

This is a very understandable belief, given that a "more is better" relationship with knowledge has been valid through all of human history. But we live in revolutionary times, so...

Example: For all of human history a "more is better" relationship with food was valid, as humans typically lived on the edge of starvation, and were just one crop failure away from disaster.

But now, millions of people are dying of too much food, so the old reliable "more is better" relationship with food now has to be questioned.

I think about the same process is underway in our relationship with knowledge, ie. science. We're reaching a point where more is no longer always better.
[+] 1 user Likes Baba Bozo's post