Science Saved My Soul

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2014, 09:39 PM
RE: Science Saved My Soul
I like phil's stuff because it's his own work. There is another channel that makes more bit-sized shorts around sound bytes of more well known thinkers.
The channel is called Scientific Unity.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Here's another of his. It is frickin' brilliant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-03-2014, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2014 09:43 AM by DLJ.)
(16-03-2014 10:13 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Oh, didn't know it was old. I had never seen this one before. I don't even know who is speaking in it.

Hehehe

Maybe we can get Deep to run a search on most posted YouTube clips?

My bet is that 'phil's' would be on that list along with QualiaSoup's and Jerry Coyne's evolution talk and Hitch and Fry stuffing the Cafia, of course.

But it never gets old, so, no worries.

Check out the Library under the YouTube section. 'Phil' is in there + many more.

Oh and, don't forget this one:

17-03-2014, 01:32 PM
(17-03-2014 09:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 10:13 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Oh, didn't know it was old. I had never seen this one before. I don't even know who is speaking in it.

Hehehe

Maybe we can get Deep to run a search on most posted YouTube clips?

My bet is that 'phil's' would be on that list along with QualiaSoup's and Jerry Coyne's evolution talk and Hitch and Fry stuffing the Cafia, of course.

But it never gets old, so, no worries.

Check out the Library under the YouTube section. 'Phil' is in there + many more.

Oh and, don't forget this one:

I know I've personally posted that Burden of Proof video by QualiaSoup more than a dozen times. Thumbsup

17-03-2014, 01:44 PM
(17-03-2014 01:32 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...
I know I've personally posted that Burden of Proof video by QualiaSoup more than a dozen times. Thumbsup

Indeed.

And I forgot the 3vid3nc3 deconversion stuff using Karen Armstrong's History of God.

That's got to be a contender for 'most posted'.

17-03-2014, 09:41 PM
(17-03-2014 01:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-03-2014 01:32 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...

Indeed.

And I forgot the 3vid3nc3 deconversion stuff using Karen Armstrong's History of God.

That's got to be a contender for 'most posted'.

Yep, those as well. Although the entire series is great, even if it takes over an hour to get through.

18-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I would go to hell and start an uprising with the BILLIONS of souls there against the devil to help us fight God thus win the universe.

Its very romantic.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2014, 04:04 PM
(16-03-2014 09:45 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

I love that. Thanks. Best "sermon" I ever heard. Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
19-03-2014, 04:39 PM
(16-03-2014 09:39 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I like phil's stuff because it's his own work. There is another channel that makes more bit-sized shorts around sound bytes of more well known thinkers.
The channel is called Scientific Unity.

I watched the first one. It was beautiful. The universe is beautiful.
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
19-03-2014, 10:39 PM
It really is amazing, and I really do feel the way this video puts it.

I just find everything...every single individual thing, so immensely amazing because there is so much beauty to be found in even the seemingly most mundane things. It's immeasurably profound, and awesome, in the truest sense of that word. My life would be less full, rich, and wealthy without it.

And yet I hear from some that they believe science takes the mystery out of life. That it sterilizes it. That it reduces everything to calculations and substances...mere molecules.

But they don't get it. These ones who say those same things tend to be the ones to say they are content with a boring universe in which the most "incredible" thing in it is an invisible, intangible man, who exist only in our imagination. And I agree, that is not credible...

But I say it's more amazing than that. If they look at the calculations, what they mean, what they say, where they lead. Look at those substances, those molecules, are endlessly amazing. Put them together and look at a bigger picture of the world and it's all just so wondrous. I could be simply sitting in a room, look at a wall, and become mesmerized in thoughts of photons interacting with electrons, and the spaces between atoms, and within them, the thing that holds them together, and keeps each one apart. The fact that I seem to see something, feel something, smell, taste, or hear something, and it's all mostly not even any at all. 99.999...% of that wall is "completely empty" space, yet that's not what my senses tell me. But I know this not because some book some, thousand years dead, guys wrote when all they knew of the world was how far across to the horizon they could see.

How many ways can you find beauty in a flower? If you're a theist...maybe two. It looks pretty, and smells nice. If by science...it's endlessly more beautiful. What does a theist see when they look at a rainbow, or a sunset? I pity them because they do not know how truly amazing and beautiful those things truly are.

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post