Science Works

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2014, 11:46 AM
RE: Science Works
(24-12-2014 11:34 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  QUESTION OF THE THREAD:

Is there any amount of knowledge, or any rate of knowledge development, which is too much?

Is there any amount of ignorance, or any rate of ignorance eradication, which is too little?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
24-12-2014, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2014 02:03 PM by Grasshopper.)
(24-12-2014 11:22 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Ok, should knowledge be limited for adults too? Or do we have infinite maturity, and are able to constructively handle any and all knowledge, not matter what?

More is better?

We limit knowledge for children because (a) we have the power to do so, and (b) we, as adults, presumably know better. I am not convinced that limiting knowledge for children is always a good thing, but at least we have a reasonable argument in favor of it.

Now, if you want to limit knowledge for adults, who do you propose should do the limiting? Who is it that "knows better" than an adult how much knowledge, and which knowledge, is good for them? God? (lol) Government? (lololol) As soon as we can all agree on the answer to this, we can start with the "knowledge-limiting" project.

Personally, my opinion is that knowledge is not the villain, and limiting knowledge is not the answer to our problems. I'm not sure exactly what the answer is, but I lean toward finding a way to control our baser impulses (hatred, greed, fear, etc.) rather than allowing them to control us. Increasing our knowledge is more likely to help in that effort than to hinder it.

Yes, I think that "more is better" when it comes to knowledge.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
24-12-2014, 01:52 PM
You seem to be using a lot of terms and assumptions of other people without defined reasons for it.

What is it that causes you to draw these conclusions on this concept of "too much?" Where are these promoters of too much and how is a concept possible. What is the potential in the meaning of the term too much?

and what is good/better? You say its assumed knowledge is good in a negative connotation. What is good? Whose good? Good for who? You have to realize most of these terms and concepts have no value outside what you wish to give them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post