Science and Being Moved

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Science and Being Moved
In another thread, TheBeardedDude wrote of how he often gets “very emotional at the elegant story that science can tell us about our universe and how we fit in it”. That “the beauty of science leaves” him “in tears”. Richard Dawkins describes a similar sense of being moved, when looking up at the Milky Way, at the sheer number of stars, “being overwhelmed by the scale of the universe”, to the point of tears. He describes it as an “overwhelming feeling of being”.

While I can relate to the sensation, that deep sense of awe, as poignantly felt, to the point of rhapsody, a sense of beauty that is often felt to the level where we might tear up a bit, I don’t find myself being provoked to this by science, or by contemplating the scale of the universe.

My question is primarily directed at other unbelievers, who can relate to this deeper sense of awe and wonder at the cosmos, to understand what exactly is it about these things that provoke them in such a way?

What exactly does it provoke, what sort of thoughts accompany it? Is it a sense of belonging, that feeling of being a part of something so grand? Is it the beauty of some sense of isolation and insignificance? Is it a delight in how lucky we are, or in how abysmal we are? Does it have bearing and markers on one’s personal life? Associated with memories of others, and childhood? Or is at appreciation of something seemingly lonesome?

I’m just curious to understand what it is that provokes that sense of aching splendor. What is it about these things that hits so close to the home of one’s own being?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
01-03-2015, 01:41 PM
RE: Science and Being Moved
I'll just leave this here...

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
01-03-2015, 02:03 PM
All humans are capable of emotion.

It doesn't take an invisible buddy to inspire you.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Science and Being Moved
I'm making an animation that describes that. Unlike what people like Oprah think, we nonbelievers can have emotional feelings about the universe.

Not sure why that's such a difficult concept.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
01-03-2015, 02:16 PM
(01-03-2015 02:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  All humans are capable of emotion.

It doesn't take an invisible buddy to inspire you.

I don't recall ever saying anything about an invisible buddy, or capabilities or incapabilities of feeling emotions.
01-03-2015, 02:20 PM
(01-03-2015 02:16 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm making an animation that describes that. Unlike what people like Oprah think, we nonbelievers can have emotional feelings about the universe.

Huh? That's kind of an odd point, in relationship to an OP that uses an example of two unbelievers, that experience a sublime sense of beauty in regards to the universe.

The fact that they have such feelings is a given. The question is one about what is it about these things that provoke such feelings, that causes them to feel this way.
01-03-2015, 02:36 PM
(01-03-2015 02:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 02:16 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm making an animation that describes that. Unlike what people like Oprah think, we nonbelievers can have emotional feelings about the universe.

Huh? That's kind of an odd point, in relationship to an OP that uses an example of two unbelievers, that experience a sublime sense of beauty in regards to the universe.

The fact that they have such feelings is a given. The question is one about what is it about these things that provoke such feelings, that causes them to feel this way.

Seems to me that there are as many answers as there are people.

I love a beautiful sunset. A gorgeous sunset will send me running for a camera. The more intense the colors and the designs in the sky are there because of a very specific set of atmospheric conditions. And that perfect combination is fleeting.

I have a great love for the ocean though I don't get there often. As soon as the smell of the sea reaches me, I breathe it is as deeply as I can. Watching the waves roll in and out is one of the most wonderful things I can be a witness to. Looking out over the vastness of the ocean and knowing that there is an endless variety of creatures there, some not even discovered yet, is awe-inspiring. The changes in the sea every day and even every hour fascinate me. From the smell to the sound of the waves crashing or gently rolling in...it's all fantastic.

Really, I don't know what you are looking for.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
01-03-2015, 03:29 PM
I get such feelings looking at the ocean and on top of mountains. Also, lying in the grass next to some tall trees and gazing up will do it for me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Trees. Fuck I'm a tree nerd.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
01-03-2015, 03:41 PM
[img][Image: sunset_zps4fa3455b.jpg][/img]

Taken from right outside my back door. Even with the signs of the city in the photo, this takes my breath away. I keep watching for one as wonderful.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 9 users Like Anjele's post