Science and Being Moved

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2015, 07:34 PM
RE: Science and Being Moved
(04-03-2015 05:46 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I live about 25 minutes from this.

[Image: Crown-Point.jpg]

And about 35 minutes from this.

[Image: Multnomah-Falls-1.jpg]

This is the Columbia River and Multnomah Falls. Whenever any family comes to visit we pack everyone up and go out to see the sights. What makes it so amazing is that it took many millions of years to get this way. If some deity had come along and made it, it wouldn't be such a natural wonder, it would be disappointingly manipulated.

I’ve been to both, gorgeous places and happy for you to be so close to them. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2015, 06:00 AM

This is the Columbia River and Multnomah Falls. Whenever any family comes to visit we pack everyone up and go out to see the sights. What makes it so amazing is that it took many millions of years to get this way. If some deity had come along and made it, it wouldn't be such a natural wonder, it would be disappointingly manipulated.

Wow that looks awesome. I'm so visiting the Multnomah Falls someday.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
07-03-2015, 07:00 AM

Yabut...

I'm pretty sure that's god's flabby butt I can see in the clouds (the grey shape at the top of the first picture).

And is that not the face of god clearly visible in the waterfall?
(Half way down the top part of the fall, above the bridge; Left profile... left eye and droopy eyebrow, nose to the left of the eye and open mouth below).

Goddunit!

07-03-2015, 07:12 AM
I like natural beauty a lot. I like maths too - it's so goddamn *satisfying*. Physics... *knowledge*. I am moved by the awesome stuff we know and the stuff we're finding out. You can read in an undergraduate textbook so much cool stuff about the world. The scientific endeavour, the *real* quest to figure out the great unknowns. The amazing engineering feats that we can pull off.

It's *wonderful* that we don't have all the answers gifted to us in some dusty old book. It's *wonderful* that nature doesn't behave in the way that we expect, that we have to be very very careful and very very clever to understand even the basics of what's going on.

You know, at my uni I used to help out with the physics dept undergrad practical experiments, and I can *still* remember the rush I used to get staying up late at night with the blasted Michelson interferometer and a laser getting the Newton's rings stuff right. It's boring data collection alright but hell, you have a precise mathematical theory, you have a bit of precision gear that you gaze into the fucking horrible little viewfinder, you sit there for fucking hours twiddling the knob, doing this fucking stupid basic experiment that hundreds if not thousands of people have done before you, writing down your results and hoping like fuck you've not bumped the whole kaboodle right at the start 'cos otherwise fuck me, you're gonna have to start from square one... And you get your results and it's fuck o'clock in the morning and you power up your ancient PC in the bowels of the computer lab and you scrawl the fucking equations from the lab manual down on a bit of paper and you try and figure out what the fuck is going on and if you've done the maths right and you enter all your data and you plot the scatter graph and fuck me if it doesn't make a beautiful straight line...

And you *know* that the world is beautiful...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
07-03-2015, 07:16 AM
(07-03-2015 07:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  I like maths too - it's so goddamn *satisfying*.

Ditto! Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
11-03-2015, 01:42 PM
One of the things that I love about science is seeing the human capacity to use logic to make connections and generate mind-blowing ideas. Yes, the science itself is fantastic, but the human synthesis of new ideas from the available data is also a source of wonder to me.
16-03-2015, 05:30 AM
[Image: all_i_see_are_equations.png]
http://abstrusegoose.com/275

But seriously, science is so much about connections between different ideas. Science education leads you to see the connections between pieces of the reality before you and to see aspects of reality invisible to those who are ignorant of the science.

Consider this simple revelation. I once thought that glass was transparent because it absorbed and reemitted photons, like an opaque material does. Nothing special. Ok. But that's not what happens when I look at a mirror or look through a window. When a reflection occurs it is the "original" photon. We're not seeing absorption and reemission. We are seeing an "uncollapsed" photon wave function interact with the wave function of the transparent material resulting in a random chance that a given photon will pass through the glass to be absorbed on the other side or bounce off the glass and return to my eye as a reflection.

This simple revelation connected the macro and quantum worlds for me in ways that leave me in awe to this very day when I look though a transparent material. I am moved in a way I couldn't be without having this knowledge. Every once in a while when I look at a window or at the heat haze above a road I think to myself: I'm seeing the quantum weirdness right here right now at a macro scale. I'm seeing something anyone else can see and experience and it connects this world we know to the abstract world drawn by the Schrödinger equation. I see where I fit into the universe in connection to the quantum and macro scales.

I am moved. I am awed. By looking out the window and seeing what can't be seen without this knowledge.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 7 users Like Hafnof's post
18-03-2015, 07:42 AM
I used to know this but can you remind me why we don't live in permanent starlight as bright as day?
18-03-2015, 08:07 AM
(18-03-2015 07:42 AM)Kitson Wrote:  I used to know this but can you remind me why we don't live in permanent starlight as bright as day?

God has turned his back on us due to our sinful nature?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-03-2015, 08:47 AM
(18-03-2015 07:42 AM)Kitson Wrote:  I used to know this but can you remind me why we don't live in permanent starlight as bright as day?

Do you mean this?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post