Science and It's Expiration Date

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Science and It's Expiration Date
The amount of answers science has provided over the past several hundred years is staggering. It has a well-document track record and continues to make contributions to humanity. However, the common complaint is that it hasn't answered everything. I'm wondering what the "science hasn't answered everything" crowd thinks a reasonable amount of time to explain "everything" is. When does science expire?

Jesus is 2000 years and late and counting, with no complaints. Perhaps science could be granted the same flexibility...

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
21-12-2014, 02:38 PM
The big problems that can be solved have been.
It's not so much that science ends or expires, but we are coming to an end of what we can do with it. Physics, for instance, is practically dead. In order to do more with subatomic particles, we would have to build a collider that is beyond rationality given the little extra it would teach us.

Electronics has given us about all we can really use as humans. You can do other inventions and apps, but probably nothing that is really needed or particularly useful. Computer technology is the same way. We used to look forward to new versions of Windows, now we just beg and plead to be able to keep our old ones when the new ones come out.

There are things we can do with the technology we have. Everyone could have a wristband that when scanned would instantly upload their entire medical history onto any doctor's computer. Fine. But that's not new science.

Renewable endless energy, assuming we could produce that, would mean the loss of huge industries and individual jobs. So why go there? Suspended animation in order to travel to distant stars--why? We can't live there and what good does it do to send someone out on a hundred light year trip. We'd never see them again. Speed of light travel? That's not possible. Living in space. That's not possible.

Curing Ebola--curing HIV--Curing cancer--Curing heart disease--curing Alzheimers--Ending the aging process. Yeah? Well, we better stop reproduction as well.

I'm not saying scientific inquiry and discovery has not been useful. God has been very merciful in letting us uncover what we need from nature. What I'm saying is science is waning both in what it can discover, and what good it can do.

My opinions on this have been primarily influenced by my observations over the course of my life, reading history, and reading this book:

The End of Science
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2014, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 02:54 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Science and It's Expiration Date
The objective graphs in Kurzweil's book "The Singularity is Near" clearly demonstrate that with knowledge doubling every ten years, (geometric rate of increase), along with other trends (stem cells, genetics, genetic manipulation, epigenetics, information storage) convincingly put the lie to any sort of "expiration date". Anyone who says science on on the wane today simply has no clue about the actual state of science in 2014.

we haven't even begun to tap into the potential of the human brain, much less use that untapped potential with implanted machine assistance.
https://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/...ed-savant/

So yeah, old farts who know very little about science will say it's had it's day. It has barely begun to be useful.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-12-2014, 02:51 PM
(21-12-2014 02:38 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's not so much that science ends or expires, but we are coming to an end of what we can do with it. Physics, for instance, is practically dead. In order to do more with subatomic particles, we would have to build a collider that is beyond rationality given the little extra it would teach us.

Electronics has given us about all we can really use as humans. You can do other inventions and apps, but probably nothing that is really needed or particularly useful. Computer technology is the same way. We used to look forward to new versions of Windows, now we just beg and plead to be able to keep our old ones when the new ones come out.

There are things we can do with the technology we have. Everyone could have a wristband that when scanned would instantly upload their entire medical history onto any doctor's computer. Fine. But that's not new science.

Renewable endless energy, assuming we could produce that, would mean the loss of huge industries and individual jobs. So why go there? Suspended animation in order to travel to distant stars--why? We can't live there and what good does it do to send someone out on a hundred light year trip. We'd never see them again. Speed of light travel? That's not possible. Living in space. That's not possible.

Curing Ebola--curing HIV--Curing cancer--Curing heart disease--curing Alzheimers--Ending the aging process. Yeah? Well, we better stop reproduction as well.

I'm not saying scientific inquiry and discovery has not been useful. God has been very merciful in letting us uncover what we need from nature. What I'm saying is science is waning both in what it can discover, and what good it can do.

My opinions on this have been primarily influenced by my observations over the course of my life, reading history, and reading this book:

The End of Science

You know people felt that science was at it's physical limit to what it can profoundly teach us many times in the past. Such as early 1900s as well. It's the same type of thinking that repeats itself throughout history just like people predicting that the world is going to end in their generation. It's completely ignoring foresight to things being able to be gathered more profoundly through still improving technology. Almost anytime in history someone thought this was the 1 thing or this was the end of a field, they were basically proven to be wrong.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-12-2014, 03:00 PM
(21-12-2014 02:38 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's not so much that science ends or expires, but we are coming to an end of what we can do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_age_of_physics

Quote:The advances in electromagnetism in the 19th century enamored physicists, as another golden age closed, and there was a reluctance to perceive further advancement. Hence, the progress of one era, termed a "golden age" has appeared to mark the completion of physics as a science. Yet, this perception has turned out to be erroneous. For example, around 1980, Stephen Hawking predicted the end of theoretical physics within 20 years. Around 2001, he amended his prediction to twenty years more from that year.

Somewhere I've heard something about when a door closes a window opens....
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Everybody relax. I was chatting with Jesus the other day over some nachos, and he assured me he'd be back soon and not to concern ourselves with the hocus pocus of science.
21-12-2014, 03:41 PM
(21-12-2014 03:20 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  ... I was chatting with Jesus the other day over some nachos ...

This assertion is highly questionable. Communion wafers don't taste anything like nachos and Jesus would never consume anything that would make consumption of his body distasteful - and certainly not make communion reminiscent of (blech) bowling snacks.
21-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Hmm... I doubt science is anywhere near ending, and would guess all that is left to learn is probably huge beyond our imagining.

I think the problem is that humans won't be able to handle all the knowledge science is dumping in our laps at an ever increasing rate. Nuclear weapons are the best known example, but they are only the beginning of the dangers that lie ahead.

We all recognize that children should be given only so much power, because they lack the judgment to drive cars, drink alcohol, own guns etc.

But when it comes to adults, as a culture we seem to assume we can handle any amount of power no matter how great. And so we push science forward as fast as we possibly can.
21-12-2014, 07:01 PM
What has 'jesus' ever said that is of the slightest use scientifically?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
21-12-2014, 07:17 PM
(21-12-2014 07:01 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  What has 'jesus' ever said that is of the slightest use scientifically?

"Die to be reborn" is an excellent Jesus quote, and it would be interesting indeed to see science try to understand and explore this sage advice.

But too often scientists are kinda lazy and would prefer to just sweep it all away with a wave of the hand, casually ignoring the real world fact that such advice has inspired and guided billions of people over thousands of years, which seems to make it a suitable topic for research.