Science and It's Expiration Date

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 07:23 PM
RE: Science and It's Expiration Date

We are no where even close to what science can do.

Until we have the ability to stop this universe from coming to an end and create other universes and shape physics to whatever we wish them to be.

Then science will no longer be able to do anything and will only take on the shape of what our imaginations give form to it. We are millions to a billion earth years away from being at that pinnacle.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2014, 08:28 PM
(21-12-2014 07:17 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 07:01 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  What has 'jesus' ever said that is of the slightest use scientifically?

"Die to be reborn" is an excellent Jesus quote, and it would be interesting indeed to see science try to understand and explore this sage advice.

But too often scientists are kinda lazy and would prefer to just sweep it all away with a wave of the hand, casually ignoring the real world fact that such advice has inspired and guided billions of people over thousands of years, which seems to make it a suitable topic for research.

All scientific research into the veracity of religions is decried as blasphemous by the religionists. So, there's that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2014, 08:29 PM
(21-12-2014 02:38 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's not so much that science ends or expires, but we are coming to an end of what we can do with it. Physics, for instance, is practically dead. In order to do more with subatomic particles, we would have to build a collider that is beyond rationality given the little extra it would teach us.

Electronics has given us about all we can really use as humans. You can do other inventions and apps, but probably nothing that is really needed or particularly useful. Computer technology is the same way. We used to look forward to new versions of Windows, now we just beg and plead to be able to keep our old ones when the new ones come out.

There are things we can do with the technology we have. Everyone could have a wristband that when scanned would instantly upload their entire medical history onto any doctor's computer. Fine. But that's not new science.

Renewable endless energy, assuming we could produce that, would mean the loss of huge industries and individual jobs. So why go there? Suspended animation in order to travel to distant stars--why? We can't live there and what good does it do to send someone out on a hundred light year trip. We'd never see them again. Speed of light travel? That's not possible. Living in space. That's not possible.

Curing Ebola--curing HIV--Curing cancer--Curing heart disease--curing Alzheimers--Ending the aging process. Yeah? Well, we better stop reproduction as well.

I'm not saying scientific inquiry and discovery has not been useful. God has been very merciful in letting us uncover what we need from nature. What I'm saying is science is waning both in what it can discover, and what good it can do.

My opinions on this have been primarily influenced by my observations over the course of my life, reading history, and reading this book:

The End of Science

Are you a time traveler from 1890? Consider Or did you just wake up from a century-long nap?

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-12-2014, 08:32 PM
(21-12-2014 08:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 02:38 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's not so much that science ends or expires, but we are coming to an end of what we can do with it. Physics, for instance, is practically dead. In order to do more with subatomic particles, we would have to build a collider that is beyond rationality given the little extra it would teach us.

Electronics has given us about all we can really use as humans. You can do other inventions and apps, but probably nothing that is really needed or particularly useful. Computer technology is the same way. We used to look forward to new versions of Windows, now we just beg and plead to be able to keep our old ones when the new ones come out.

There are things we can do with the technology we have. Everyone could have a wristband that when scanned would instantly upload their entire medical history onto any doctor's computer. Fine. But that's not new science.

Renewable endless energy, assuming we could produce that, would mean the loss of huge industries and individual jobs. So why go there? Suspended animation in order to travel to distant stars--why? We can't live there and what good does it do to send someone out on a hundred light year trip. We'd never see them again. Speed of light travel? That's not possible. Living in space. That's not possible.

Curing Ebola--curing HIV--Curing cancer--Curing heart disease--curing Alzheimers--Ending the aging process. Yeah? Well, we better stop reproduction as well.

I'm not saying scientific inquiry and discovery has not been useful. God has been very merciful in letting us uncover what we need from nature. What I'm saying is science is waning both in what it can discover, and what good it can do.

My opinions on this have been primarily influenced by my observations over the course of my life, reading history, and reading this book:

The End of Science

Are you a time traveler from 1890? Consider Or did you just wake up from a century-long nap?

He's taking a nap now. What you see is all a "lucid dream", Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-12-2014, 08:38 PM
(21-12-2014 08:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 08:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  Are you a time traveler from 1890? Consider Or did you just wake up from a century-long nap?

He's taking a nap now. What you see is all a "lucid dream", Yes

A nap sounds really nice right now. Later fools!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
21-12-2014, 09:35 PM
(21-12-2014 07:17 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  "Die to be reborn" is an excellent Jesus quote, and it would be interesting indeed to see science try to understand and explore this sage advice.

I'm having difficulty seeing that as any form of wisdom. Sounds like the type of mindlessly stoopid slogan that gets screamed just before somebody touches off a vest of C-4.

(21-12-2014 07:17 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  But too often scientists are kinda lazy

Science has the bad manners to deliver where religion merely promised and you call them lazy. That's rich.

(21-12-2014 07:17 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  and would prefer to just sweep it all away with a wave of the hand, casually ignoring the real world fact that such advice has inspired and guided billions of people over thousands of years, which seems to make it a suitable topic for research.

And what a wonderful inspiration and motivator it has been too.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
22-12-2014, 06:05 AM
(21-12-2014 07:17 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  "Die to be reborn" is an excellent Jesus quote,

Quote:I'm having difficulty seeing that as any form of wisdom. Sounds like the type of mindlessly stoopid slogan that gets screamed just before somebody touches off a vest of C-4.

Yes, you are correct, you having difficulty seeing that as any form of wisdom.

An unfortunate aspect of some atheist culture, especially on forums, is that many (not all) atheists are so getting off on playing the fantasy role of "The Great Debunker" that they forget to try to understand that which they wish to debunk.

And so they are lousy debunkers, offering readers little more than their emotion.
22-12-2014, 07:46 AM
(22-12-2014 06:05 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  offering readers little more than their emotion.

And what, exactly, does religion offer other than emotion?

I'll take demonstrable over hoped-for any day.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
22-12-2014, 08:13 AM
(22-12-2014 06:05 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 07:17 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  "Die to be reborn" is an excellent Jesus quote,

Quote:I'm having difficulty seeing that as any form of wisdom. Sounds like the type of mindlessly stoopid slogan that gets screamed just before somebody touches off a vest of C-4.

Yes, you are correct, you having difficulty seeing that as any form of wisdom.

An unfortunate aspect of some atheist culture, especially on forums, is that many (not all) atheists are so getting off on playing the fantasy role of "The Great Debunker" that they forget to try to understand that which they wish to debunk.

And so they are lousy debunkers, offering readers little more than their emotion.

Oh, really? I'd say you haven't read much on this forum, then.

Try supporting your puerile opinions with facts - that would be refreshing.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post