Science can answer moral questions

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
26-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Video Science can answer moral questions
I want to share this video with you,

Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

It might help when talking to people who insist that morality can not be derived from science.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Youkay's post
26-10-2013, 01:16 PM
RE: Science can answer moral questions
Excellent find +1

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-10-2013, 08:28 PM
I fucking love that guy.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
29-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Oh, man, where's Ghost? He'd just love this thread. Evil_monster

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
06-12-2013, 11:30 AM
This is a lecture of Sam Harris, in which he elaborates on his TED talk. If you have enjoyed the TED talk, you should definitely watch this one as well. And if you have some criticisms, he might address them here.

It would be great if this could initiate a discussion based on Sam Harris' arguments.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
06-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I particularly liked the comparison of women hidden under sheets and women exposed on magazine covers. Opposites of the same thing. It's all about society placing the woman form as something that is highly important. Regardless whether Western or Arabic culture.
06-12-2013, 01:42 PM
(06-12-2013 01:36 PM)Stevil Wrote:  woman form as something that is highly important.

Highly consumable does not mean important.

I hope someone brings up the arguments or make bullet points because I don't particularly like Mr. Harris, and won't voluntarily watch videos on faith that something useful will come of it.
06-12-2013, 01:51 PM
I've always found the "no morality without religion" thing to be a very weak argument. If you're not a fundamentalist then this argument is moot because humans simply would not have survived on Earth for this long if that were the case. Just look at all the other animals on Earth. Certainly no other species of animal would have survived if they merely went around killing each other. Humans tend to have a very cocky attitude about being some higher form of life separate from all other creatures on the planet, and that we can go around destroying habitats as much as we want. Whether people like it or not, we are part of the animal kingdom, and we do rely on other living things for survival. Besides, wouldn't the need for belief in a god to have morality mean that all atheists would constantly go on killing rampages? It's simply a ridiculous argument.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
06-12-2013, 02:50 PM
(26-10-2013 12:59 PM)Youkay Wrote:  I want to share this video with you,

It might help when talking to people who insist that morality can not be derived from science.

If we use Sam's rubric, and take all the high points and call them low and vice versa, we have created Islamic morality!

You see, Mr. Harris has not explained how science came up with high and low and ascribed those values to the points on the diagram.
06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
(06-12-2013 02:50 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 12:59 PM)Youkay Wrote:  I want to share this video with you,

If we use Sam's rubric, and take all the high points and call them low and vice versa, we have created Islamic morality!

You see, Mr. Harris has not explained how science came up with high and low and ascribed those values to the points on the diagram.
This is true, he never does answer the essential question. Nor does he make any distinction between what are the differences between a carnal and spiritual view of morality so as to deal with the subsequent semantics. He also seems to be conflating God with religion which of course is already a flawed foundation for any sound logical reasoning. Moreover, this topic delves more into the metaphysical issue of identity, which science claims not to cross over into.