Science can answer moral questions

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
15-12-2013, 11:26 AM
RE: Science can answer moral questions
I got tired of going in circles, you are right or whatever it takes to make this pain stop

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2013, 12:05 PM
(14-12-2013 08:05 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 12:27 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Given this, what practical application is there with regards to acceptance of this objective measurement?

Good question. I assume it would be that it would assist in resolving moral dilemmas, it would provide a common meeting ground in a discussion/debate and that being objective it would easier to rationally justify a position. I suppose it would be the general benefits that come from objectivity.
OK, but I have a few concerns regarding conflation of the ideas of morality with the concept of human well being as a common goal.

1. We haven't established that human well being is the goal that we are all striving for. For human well being to be considered the defining yardstick towards which actions can be considered right or wrong.

If you were trying to convince me of an obligation or with regards to considerations behind a potential choice, you would be best to find out what is my moral yardstick rather than to first try to convince me what it should be. If you find out that my moral yardstick does not include "right", "wrong", "ought", "should" then you would find it difficult to convince me to impose this "rationally justified position" others. Potentially I could become and advocate for it though, continuing the debate, trying to be persuasive to others, but for me I don't consider human well being to be a compelling goal.

2. Then you also get into the argument as to what is a human or what isn't e.g. invariably this argument comes into the abortion debate.

3. Since we are the only "intelligently self aware" animals on Earth and have not yet found Alien sentience then we have not needed yet to consider whether it ought to be human well being or intelligently self aware well being.

4. There is also the argument of the individual vs the group. Does the individual's well being outweigh that of the group's well being e.g. Is it important to look after a heavily dependent and disabled person at the cost of the well being of those that sacrifice their own lives, love, companionship, freedom and independence in order to serve the dependent person?

5. Present vs Future. Knowing that Earth's resources are enough for ourselves and our children, do we worry about ruining it for the future generations? Or even, knowing that our medical advancements means that we keep faulty genes in circulation, knowing that we are working against evolution and hence making the human body weaker from generation to generation...
17-12-2013, 12:58 PM
(14-12-2013 10:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... and I am detecting that your Taqometer needs adjusting.

Argue the point (not the man)

I did address the point.

Quote:...or you risk repeating the embarrassment witnessed in the Objective Morality thread.

Chippy made a huge embarrassment of himself, yes. I'm happy to wipe the walls with him and his idiotic strawmanning any time.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop