Science cookies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 10:12 AM by ghostexorcist.)
Science cookies
I know that fortune cookies are a staple of Chinese (and some hybrid) restaurants. I'm hesitant to call them by that name because, quite frankly, the "fortune" is more often than not a "statement." You know, stupid stuff like "People like you because you have a good personality." They also have "lucky numbers." Although they have become common place in our modern culture, I think the idea of providing fortunes and lucky numbers from cookies has the same merit as astrology stuff in newspapers: ZERO. It perpetuates dated beliefs that have no bearing in our modern world. That is why I would like to advocate a series of cookies with useful information. One kind could be "science cookies." They could have brief, yet interesting science facts that are easy to understand. An example would be:

"The sky is blue because light from the sun is filtered through earth's atmosphere and is shifted towards the blue end of the light spectrum."

These little facts would actually teach people stuff. Little doses of knowledge would build up over time and might even cause people to look deeper into science. Science literacy is important even if you aren't a scientist.

What are some other facts that you would like to see in a science cookie?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
01-07-2013, 10:10 AM
RE: Science cookies
(01-07-2013 10:01 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I know that fortune cookies are a staple of Chinese (and some hybrid) restaurants . I'm hesitant to call them by that name because, quite frankly, the "fortune" is more often than not a "statement." You know, stupid stuff like "People like you because you have a good personality." They also have "lucky numbers." Although they have become common place in our modern culture, I think the idea of providing fortunes and lucky numbers from cookies has the same merit as astrology stuff in newspapers: ZERO. It perpetuates dated beliefs that have no bearing in our modern world. That is why I would like to advocate a series of cookies with useful information. One kind could be "science cookies." They could have brief, yet interesting science facts that are easy to understand. An example would be:

"The sky is blue because light from the sun is filtered through earth's atmosphere and is shifted towards the blue end of the light spectrum."

These little facts would actually teach people stuff. Little doses of knowledge would build up over time and might even cause people to look deeper into science. Science literacy is important even if you aren't a scientist.

What are some other facts that you would like to see in a science cookie?

For every 33 feet of seawater above you pressure on your body increases by 1 atmosphere or 14.7 psi

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
The water you just drank has been on this planet for billions of years. At one time, it may have been drank by Galileo, bathed in by Cleopatra, or triceratops urine.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
This is a sweet idea. If I ever open a restaurant, I might make my own cookies for this reason.

Though I would like to say that the facts should be told in a more relatable fashion.

I would like one that simply states, "You are the result of a super nova."

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
(01-07-2013 12:13 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  "You are the result of a super nova."

I thought that myself. I wanted to play off of Neil degrasse Tyson's quote. Something like, "The heavier elements comprising your body were forged in the heart of a high mass star."
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
You share genes with every living thing on earth, from the largest redwood tree to the smallest bacteria.
02-07-2013, 09:17 AM
You have 6 feet of DNA crammed inside of the nucleus of each of your cells. That amounts to 5 to 10 billion miles of DNA in your entire body.
02-07-2013, 02:46 PM
You have thicker teeth enamel than your cousin the chimpanzee.
02-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Fortune cookies were always ended with the line "...In bed!". What would be it's equivalent in science cookies? Consider

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
(02-07-2013 03:03 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Fortune cookies were always ended with the line "...In bed!". What would be it's equivalent in science cookies? Consider

I had to look that up because I've never heard of it before. I guess "...in your head"?