Science denial & religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2015, 08:49 PM
RE: Science denial & religion
Didn't see Scientologists on here. Wonder if they think the thietans are going to clean themselves.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm surprised that Catholics aren't more bottom right. I've always thought most Catholics supported evolution but we're more wishy washy on the Environment but then again I'm judging on a very poor sample size ( is home schooling Catholics)

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
22-05-2015, 06:22 AM
(21-05-2015 04:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I liked this too. Found it funny non othordox Jews are at the top.

I talked to one rabbi once and was surprised at how they approached a lot of things theologically. Sure, he's making a bunch of superstitions assumptions, but they at least figure out ways to shoehorn their religion into reality, whereas all the fundies who make their way into the media tend to shoehorn reality into their religion.

It's refreshing to see how much they've worked their religion into one of humanism.

(21-05-2015 11:03 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I'm surprised that Catholics aren't more bottom right. I've always thought most Catholics supported evolution but we're more wishy washy on the Environment but then again I'm judging on a very poor sample size ( is home schooling Catholics)

In my experience, home schoolers tend to be more likely to be conservative or libertarian. I can see each of them being less on board with environmental regulations that would impact business.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
22-05-2015, 06:49 AM
HA!

My denomination* is the most "heathen".

*well... closest denominated to me that is charted
Edit: *wait, no... Anglican is more. Even so... I'm the most heathen Protestant by A LOT.
Edit2: *I think if my beliefs were charted, I would be in or around the Jewish circle.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
22-05-2015, 07:20 AM
(22-05-2015 06:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Edit2: *I think if my beliefs were charted, I would be in or around the Jewish circle.

You win... a pointy star Smile Smile Smile Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Well suck it KC, the church I was raised in is the highest up on the environmental scale on the list.

Though I'm not sure how that works out, it's the United Church of Christ but as far as I know they're a church system designed to not have any grand connecting authority. They're congregationalist based, so the members of each church itself vote for a treasurer, president, etc. And choose a pastor like that. So it's interesting that without a central authority guide, they've grown to the range they're at.

Perhaps since I believe they are more prominent outside of the south that helps some.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-05-2015, 08:06 AM
(22-05-2015 06:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  HA!

What is it listed as? I either totally missed "Calvinist" or it must be labeled as something else.

I was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran, which was labeled "Lutheran (non-ELCA)" on the graphic (as in, non Evangelical Lutheran Church of America). I didn't realize how conservative my church was, growing up. It explains why I identified as liberal despite being much more socially conservative when I was in college.

(22-05-2015 07:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  You win... a pointy star Smile Smile Smile Tongue

A gold one, at that!
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
22-05-2015, 08:10 AM
(22-05-2015 08:06 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 06:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  HA!

What is it listed as? I either totally missed "Calvinist" or it must be labeled as something else.

I was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran, which was labeled "Lutheran (non-ELCA)" on the graphic (as in, non Evangelical Lutheran Church of America). I didn't realize how conservative my church was, growing up. It explains why I identified as liberal despite being much more socially conservative when I was in college.

(22-05-2015 07:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  You win... a pointy star Smile Smile Smile Tongue

A gold one, at that!

Pres

I mean... technically I go to a Reformed church, but on that list, my beliefs most closely coincide is the Presbyterians.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-05-2015, 08:19 AM
(21-05-2015 11:03 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I'm surprised that Catholics aren't more bottom right. I've always thought most Catholics supported evolution but we're more wishy washy on the Environment but then again I'm judging on a very poor sample size ( is home schooling Catholics)

It is hard to tell exactly where people stand since there are no units on the axes. I was taught evolution in catholic school, so I would have thought the catholics would be higher up on evolution, but again without units...
22-05-2015, 08:20 AM
(21-05-2015 03:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: rosenau-graphic.jpg&w=1484]

Source: Washington Post

I like this graph but I am not so certain I know what exactly it represents as I look at it more and more.

They survey 1,500 people and while the response rate per group is representative of the size of that group, the opinions expressed on climate and evolution by those that responded probably isn't.

Look at Catholics (I think they have been the largest of the individual religious groups for the last few decades at least) and they have the widest distribution. Which means that for them, this is probably pretty accurate but for any smaller group, it probably isn't.

You'd have to sample larger portions of each individual group to figure out a more accurate representation of their opinions on individual subjects.

It'd be neat to see that and also have the sample size include some geographic variability.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick