Science denial & religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2015, 08:48 AM
RE: Science denial & religion
I see multiple people saying Catholic would seem to be further right on the evolution factor, but really compare them to the other Christian sects. There is only 2 churches that stretch further right, one being Anglican the church people refer to as "Catholic-Lite"

And since Catholicism is so pervasive in America, even into sections of the country that are more influenced by other Christian ideas, they're bound to believe in Evolution less than it's worldwide church stance of kinda embracing it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2015, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2015 10:56 AM by DLJ.)
(22-05-2015 06:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...
Edit: *wait, no... Anglican is more. Even so... I'm the most heathen Protestant by A LOT.

(22-05-2015 08:48 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  ...
one being Anglican the church people refer to as "Catholic-Lite"

Huh

Wait wut?

Since when was the Church of England not Protestant?

Quote:Anglicanism is a tradition within Christianity comprising the Church of England and churches which are historically tied to it or hold similar beliefs
Many of the new Anglican formularies of the mid-16th century corresponded closely to those of contemporary Reformed Protestantism. These reforms in the Church of England were understood by one of those most responsible for them, the then Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Cranmer, as navigating a middle way between two of the emerging Protestant traditions, namely Lutheranism and Calvinism.[5] By the end of the century, the retention in Anglicanism of many traditional liturgical forms and of the episcopate was already seen as unacceptable by those promoting the most developed Protestant principles.

I grew up in that tradition and there is no hint of catholicism about it.

Quote: England's American colonies were presented by some Anglican divines as comprising a distinct Christian tradition, with theologies, structures and forms of worship representing a different kind of middle way, or via media, between Reformed Protestantism and Roman Catholicism — a perspective that came to be highly influential in later theories of Anglican identity, and was expressed in the description "Catholic and Reformed"

Ah! Murikans! WTF?!?!?

Facepalm

22-05-2015, 03:43 PM
(22-05-2015 10:08 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 06:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...
Edit: *wait, no... Anglican is more. Even so... I'm the most heathen Protestant by A LOT.

(22-05-2015 08:48 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  ...
one being Anglican the church people refer to as "Catholic-Lite"

Huh

Wait wut?

Since when was the Church of England not Protestant?

Quote:Anglicanism is a tradition within Christianity comprising the Church of England and churches which are historically tied to it or hold similar beliefs
Many of the new Anglican formularies of the mid-16th century corresponded closely to those of contemporary Reformed Protestantism. These reforms in the Church of England were understood by one of those most responsible for them, the then Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Cranmer, as navigating a middle way between two of the emerging Protestant traditions, namely Lutheranism and Calvinism.[5] By the end of the century, the retention in Anglicanism of many traditional liturgical forms and of the episcopate was already seen as unacceptable by those promoting the most developed Protestant principles.

I grew up in that tradition and there is no hint of catholicism about it.

Quote: England's American colonies were presented by some Anglican divines as comprising a distinct Christian tradition, with theologies, structures and forms of worship representing a different kind of middle way, or via media, between Reformed Protestantism and Roman Catholicism — a perspective that came to be highly influential in later theories of Anglican identity, and was expressed in the description "Catholic and Reformed"

Ah! Murikans! WTF?!?!?

Facepalm

It's not even the American element of it, but they say it's like the Catholics, in that it has the Pageantry and Bishops with authority spread about still. That's what they say about it but I've never been to a service of it in 'Merica or UKLand

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson