Science disproving Miracles question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
RE: Science disproving Miracles question
(06-04-2013 03:51 PM)Citizen_Atheist Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 08:42 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Its kind of silly to discuss miracles this way, is there a specific miracle he mentioned?

He worked with alot of sick people so I am assuming he is talking about people who have gotten better or something along those lines.

Well, there's something in our body called the immune system which pretty much gets the job done. The immune system doesn't fuck around. To quote George Carlin, "There’s no Miranda warning, there’s none of that “three strikes and you’re out” shit, first defense, BAM… into the colon you go!". How did such a badass immune system come about? Thank a few million years of selection.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
10-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I really think it's ridiculous to use a supernatural being to be an explanation for something unexplainable, as of now. Yes, science cannot explain everything and that's the beauty of it. We (people of science) doesn't assume to be all-knowing but we continue to look for reasonable answers. Answers that are strong and factual. We are unlike religious people who think they know everything because they have a god who is "all-knowing" We don't boast like them.
11-04-2013, 05:11 AM
(06-04-2013 03:51 PM)Citizen_Atheist Wrote:  He worked with alot of sick people so I am assuming he is talking about people who have gotten better or something along those lines.

If that's really all he is talking about, then he needs to seriously rethink his definition of a "miracle".

I suspect these sick people who get better have medical care such as doctors treating them and prescribing medication and also possibly nurses providing care as well. I also suspect that some people get better, but some don't. Some live, some die. Some get really bad, then they get better, maybe even when it seems almost hopeless.

Don't forget that even the people who die from their illness almost certainly have some family and friends who prayed for them to get better. I'm an atheist with an atheist ex-wife and atheist kids and predominately atheist friends, but if I got a terminal illness, I know I would have some people praying for my recovery (and probably my ex-wife converting to some religion and then praying for my death). I don't think that praying matters, but it's worth noting that live or die, probably damn near everyone your friend works with has close friends and family praying for them but they don't all get the "miracle" of recovery.

So it sounds like your friend's definition of "miracle" is something like this: "A bunch of people get sick. They get medical treatment and some of them get better and some don't."

This is a really lame "miracle" if you ask me.

Now, if 100% of them always get better (assuming we're not limiting our discussion to petty stuff like hangnails or athlete's foot) then maybe we might have grounds for opening a discussion about miracles. If 100% of the people recover from terminal illnesses while never receiving medical care for their illnesses but only praying, then I'd say we can absolutely discuss whether this is a miracle.

But, in your example, it sounds like the doctors and nurses deserve the credit, not god.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein