Science is Dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2012, 10:51 AM

RE: Science is Dead
Oh, I see. So, you better be liked in here.
That's the death of this forum.
Bye.
Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Honestly hadn't noticed it until ya pointed it out...

Egor, you need to chill bro... take a deep breath. Relax. Getting wound up isn't healthy.

DT: I wouldn't put it past Egor to be playing games, but if it is anything to do wit' you I suggest change it back and apologize.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Egor: my last couple of posts haven't exactly been pro-you, especially you might take offence to the last one. Sorry. Just calling it as I see it... you seem... very agitated recently.
27-06-2012, 10:55 AM
(27-06-2012 10:08 AM)Egor Wrote:  Not with you. You're not capable of it. You're a child who parrots what he hears others say. Why don't you go cry to the mod again that you got a negative rep point. Go hide behind the teacher. I'm sure they'll fix it all up for you and then you can come back, while hiding behind their leg, and voice your little comments. Thumbsup
More ad hominem responses, huh? Rolleyes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-06-2012, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2012 10:59 AM by DeepThought.)
(27-06-2012 10:40 AM)Egor Wrote:  Good. Now that the rep points reflect more honestly who can and can't be trusted, things are back to the way they should be. Oh, and don't forget to go back and fix your buddies rep points for him.

----

Oh, here we go. Now you're going to start messing with a person's avatar whom you don't agree with. Just like Raving Atheist. Brilliant. What a winner you are!
I removed your dunce cap cos it was messing with the html and can't be bothered fixing the template. Your avatar was uneffected.

You really are being a prick though... Don't you see that?

Do you treat people like this in real life?
You think a dunce cap is undeserved? I admit, I might have been one step to far, but you are going the whole mile.

What do you do when a child acts up and disrupts a peaceful group environment?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
27-06-2012, 11:00 AM
(27-06-2012 10:22 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(27-06-2012 07:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I grow tired of the "something must have started everything" argument being used over and over again. It is as if the fact that a scientist (or a regular rational person) saying "I don't know" or "we don't know" is somehow the equivalent of "it must have been god." I believe someone else pointed out the fact that this is really nothing more than a "god of the gaps" argument, but this time, the idea of god has been placed at the origin of time and is less of a 'gap' and more of an assumed endpoint.

It is a fallacy to say "before the universe existed." The point in space and time where the universe began was the point where TIME began. There is no prior period. There is no before time. It isn't even possible to ask the question of what existed before the big bang because there was no "before the big bang."

Then there really wasn't a big bang, was there? All you're doing is arguing for an eternal universe for which all evidence, scientific and philosophical, argues against.

To say that God started the universe is not a god-of-the-gaps argument. What we find is a missing puzzle piece. The only peice that fits comes out to be in the shape of what we always assume to be like God.

You can't get away from the comological argument and the teleological argument. To say there was no first cause or to say design is an illusion just comes across as denial at best and insanity at worst.
At what point did I argue for an eternal universe? As long as there has been time, there has been a universe. The origin of the universe coincides with the origin of time at the event known as the big bang. Perhaps you would rather call it the big expansion? There is no time before that point. That point is the origin of time.

The universe began and may or may not have been the direct result of some event, but it does not require a sentient being to make it happen. We don't understand it but to look at the unknown portion of the event and then take the concept known as god and warp it until it fits into the gap IS the god of the gaps argument.

Design is an illusion and I have no idea what the hell a first cause for the origin of the universe is. In my mind, thinking of a first cause is not only irrelevant but fallacious. Implying a first cause means that the origin of time preceded the origin of the universe, and that makes no fucking sense.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Or, using the same tired ideas (god) and arguments (design) over and over again and expecting rational people to believe in them in spite of the evidence to the contrary that abounds in science.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
27-06-2012, 11:01 AM
(27-06-2012 10:48 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Enjoy your new pointy hat.

Did you really stick a dunce cap icon on Egor's avatar? That seems ... childish. To disagree with someone, even to have an argument with someone, is one thing, but to use your mod powers to mess with the way their name, etc. displays on the forum seems over the line to me. I see you've changed it back, but the point remains.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
[+] 2 users Like calmblueocean's post
27-06-2012, 11:05 AM
(27-06-2012 10:56 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(27-06-2012 10:40 AM)Egor Wrote:  Good. Now that the rep points reflect more honestly who can and can't be trusted, things are back to the way they should be. Oh, and don't forget to go back and fix your buddies rep points for him.

----

Oh, here we go. Now you're going to start messing with a person's avatar whom you don't agree with. Just like Raving Atheist. Brilliant. What a winner you are!
I removed your dunce cap cos it was messing with the html and can't be bothered fixing the template. Your avatar is unaffected.

You really are being a prick though... Don't you see that?

Do you treat people like this in real life?
You think a dunce cap is undeserved? I admit, I might have been one step to far, but you are going the whole mile.

What do you do when a child acts up and disrupts a peaceful group environment?
... You gotta be careful with this DT. I get your frustration but don't forget it's not just an interaction between you and Egor, it's everyone who reads this seeing how we treat people we disagree with... well, we can treat them how we want - we're all individuals... but you guys with superpowers are a bit more... in the public eye...

Let's not get too upset Smile DT's entitled to lose the plot himself from time to time too, he is human Shy
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
27-06-2012, 11:06 AM
(27-06-2012 10:51 AM)Egor Wrote:  Oh, I see. So, you better be liked in here.
That's the death of this forum.
Bye.
No, people don't have to like what you say. Just treat people with some semblance of decency. Do you get the difference between bullying and having an opinion?

You should reflect on what you've written here. Try reading from another's perspective.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
27-06-2012, 11:06 AM

(27-06-2012 10:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  Egor: my last couple of posts haven't exactly been pro-you, especially you might take offence to the last one. Sorry. Just calling it as I see it... you seem... very agitated recently.

Honestly, Morondog, I don't get agitated over forums. I have a schtick, and I'm sticking to it.

Besides, it's a powertrip, you know--mine not theirs. When DT tells me to stop the personal attacks by using personal attacks against me and then changing my avatar to humiliate me if I don't fit in with the clique, he thinks he's the one pushing the buttons, and I'm laughing my ass off.

But it's sad, because this used to be the forum where real free speech and discussion could take place. It was so far above the crap forums like Raving Atheist that it was truly great. Now it's just the same. Weeping

Anyway, I'm going to go hang out in the literature section for a while. I've made my point here.
Quote this message in a reply