Science is Dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2012, 11:08 AM
RE: Science is Dead
I'm not sure I got the point, at least not as far as it relates to the topic of this thread.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2012, 11:09 AM
(27-06-2012 11:06 AM)Egor Wrote:  Anyway, I'm going to go hang out in the literature section for a while. I've made my point here.
And your point is that you like to use ad hominems and a few other logical fallacies to avoid having to refute your opponents arguments?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
27-06-2012, 11:12 AM
(27-06-2012 11:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  At what point did I argue for an eternal universe? As long as there has been time, there has been a universe. The origin of the universe coincides with the origin of time at the event known as the big bang. Perhaps you would rather call it the big expansion? There is no time before that point. That point is the origin of time.

Mainstream. Penrose suggests otherwise. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-06-2012, 11:12 AM
(27-06-2012 11:06 AM)Egor Wrote:  But it's sad, because this used to be the forum where real free speech and discussion could take place.
I would ask you not to be too hasty to leave. I believe that this particular forum has those characteristics still. As I said, a moments madness... surely we can forgive. *Everyone* gets put under pressure and does things outside their normal habits from time to time.
27-06-2012, 11:13 AM
(27-06-2012 11:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm not sure I got the point, at least not as far as it relates to the topic of this thread.
There ain't no topic here. It's a kennel. Egor starts barking, we start barking; take a break to go eat, and AROOO!

living word
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-06-2012, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2012 11:19 AM by DeepThought.)
(27-06-2012 11:06 AM)Egor Wrote:  Besides, it's a powertrip, you know--mine not theirs. When DT tells me to stop the personal attacks by using personal attacks against me and then changing my avatar to humiliate me if I don't fit in with the clique, he thinks he's the one pushing the buttons, and I'm laughing my ass off.

But it's sad, because this used to be the forum where real free speech and discussion could take place. It was so far above the crap forums like Raving Atheist that it was truly great. Now it's just the same. Weeping
I think your overplaying it a bit there. I never bothered with group images and I did it as a spur of the moment thing. But was also curious how it worked. Of all the things I could have chosen, the dunce cap was tame and maybe a little childish on my part.

Your Avatar was never changed... fool. And I never censored you. Maybe just poked you in the ribs a bit. So yeah, take a breath.. Go cry it out....

One minute an aggressive jerk, next minute an offended self-righteous crybaby...

Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
27-06-2012, 11:18 AM
(27-06-2012 11:12 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(27-06-2012 11:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  At what point did I argue for an eternal universe? As long as there has been time, there has been a universe. The origin of the universe coincides with the origin of time at the event known as the big bang. Perhaps you would rather call it the big expansion? There is no time before that point. That point is the origin of time.

Mainstream. Penrose suggests otherwise. Wink
That is fascinating. I believe there was an episode of Futurama that dealt with this particular idea of the Universe being on a repeating loop for infinity. I thought this particular idea was no longer viable due to the continued acceleration of the universe's expansion that suggested it would eventually reach a point at which gravity could no longer cause it to collapse in on itself again. If what this team is suggesting is true, that makes the argument of how time works even more fucked up but makes infinity somehow easier to think about... Shocking

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
27-06-2012, 11:24 AM

(27-06-2012 10:56 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I removed your dunce cap cos it was messing with the html and can't be bothered fixing the template. Your avatar was uneffected.

You really are being a prick though... Don't you see that?

So what? Even if I am a prick, so what? There's lots of pricks in here. I get personally attacked in almost every response to one of my posts. Do you know how many insults I've taken in here? But I'm not complaining about it, nor am I fucking with anyone who didn't fuck with me first.

Quote:Do you treat people like this in real life?

Yes. I give as good as I get. Of course, this is an internet forum. There used to be more free speech on a forum.

Quote:You think a dunce cap is undeserved? I admit, I might have been one step to far, but you are going the whole mile.

If you think you went too far, then don't do it. When are you young people going to realize a very important fact of life: It's not what you say; it's what you do that matters. Everyone says everything and none of it means anything. Only what we do matters. If you think I shouldn't throw out personal attacks, then don't personally attack me. If you think I should behave a certain way, then behave that way first. You're a moderator--that makes you a leader in here. Do you really think being a leader is all about how you can fuck with someone? Being a lead-er means you "lead" people. Any dumbass with an advantage can force people.

Quote:What do you do when a child acts up and disrupts a peaceful group environment?

A. I didn't think an atheist forum which is all about debate in the arena of ideas was looking to preserve a peaceful group environment at all costs.

B. I'm acting like a prick. You're acting like the child. I don't know...I'm on this Al Pacino kick, and he says it sooo much better than me.

Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2012, 11:25 AM
(27-06-2012 11:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(27-06-2012 11:12 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Mainstream. Penrose suggests otherwise. Wink
That is fascinating. I believe there was an episode of Futurama that dealt with this particular idea of the Universe being on a repeating loop for infinity. I thought this particular idea was no longer viable due to the continued acceleration of the universe's expansion that suggested it would eventually reach a point at which gravity could no longer cause it to collapse in on itself again. If what this team is suggesting is true, that makes the argument of how time works even more fucked up but makes infinity somehow easier to think about... Shocking
Well, he mighta got Hoyle'd on the naming of the thing. The way I saw it portrayed (on some BBC thingy or another) is that expansion of the universe continues to the point where even photons are individually "a universe apart," leaving a local nothingness of sorts and setting the stage for cosmic fluctuations to make a "big bang."

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-06-2012, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2012 11:48 AM by DeepThought.)
(27-06-2012 11:24 AM)Egor Wrote:  Even if I am a prick, so what? There's lots of pricks in here. I get personally attacked in almost every response to one of my posts. Do you know how many insults I've taken in here? But I'm not complaining about it, nor am I fucking with anyone who didn't fuck with me first.

That kindof contradicts this:

(27-06-2012 11:06 AM)Egor Wrote:  Honestly, Morondog, I don't get agitated over forums. I have a schtick, and I'm sticking to it.

Besides, it's a powertrip, you know--mine not theirs. When DT tells me to stop the personal attacks by using personal attacks against me and then changing my avatar to humiliate me if I don't fit in with the clique, he thinks he's the one pushing the buttons, and I'm laughing my ass off.

So you do what you do to press people's buttons. You want to bait people and toy with their emotions for your own amusement like every other internet troll. Then you think you deserve special treatment and diplomatic immunity?

How can you say that and then try taking the moral high-ground?

Maybe you'll snap out of it some day and realise how fucked up your behaviour is. Why should anyone tolerate it?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss