Science is Dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2012, 06:24 AM
RE: Science is Dead
All this means is the standard model may be dead. And that something more accurate will be used instead. Science won't suddenly ground to a vault because of one idea being wrong.

This will most likely open up a whole new branch of science to explore. It's an example of the self correcting Nature of science. Can Religion say the same thing about when it's got something wrong?

You are really grasping at straws if you think this will suddenly change our entire outlook on the universe. And go backwards to start looking at spiritual nonsense.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like FSM_scot's post
20-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Talk about an illogical over-reaction.

Egor - work on logical thinking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Isn't Babar an elephant? Seems like I learned just as much as Egor did from a headline without reading the article or trying to understand it.
20-06-2012, 09:28 AM
I think that this is just another example of Egor's subconscious indoctrination.

He clearly has the mental faculties to recognize the insights that have been mentioned in this thread. It's just that he's been conditioned to make gigantic leaps like "one scientific paper that acknowledges lack of statistical significance" = "the scientific method of inquiry is invalid"

Classic stuff.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
20-06-2012, 09:58 AM
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGawHqJjf0Av_fjPI4bkn...7Px_2TGEcH]
Science is dead? Science is more alive, more vibrant than ever! The introduction of a new model to replace an old one doesn't kill science, it instead gives it more life. A comparable analogy would be upgrading your computer's operating system.

When new models replace old ones, we have a more accurate representation of the particular phenomena we see. We thus are able to derive new conclusions regarding this phenomena, and from there on a whole new spectrum of possibilities await. The properties of semiconductors for instance, once harnessed, brought us a new era in electronics. How we view light has changed over time, from the wave nature of light to the wave-particle duality of light. Only by challenging old models with new ones, following up with experimentation and providing conclusive evidence do we turn the gears of science.

The spiritual side of mankind? Well, yes you can propose theories on the spiritual world, on things like ESP, NDEs, precognition... It all depends whether you are willing to subject your theories to rigorous scientific testing, not once, but multiple times, each time which leads to the same conclusion.

There is something new to learn everyday. It's not pointless to propose a mechanism on how things work.

Also...
Quote:We can feed the world, we just don't. We can cure what we can cure, and that's it--all of us will eventually go by heart disease or cancer, and nothing can stop that.We are headed for a new dark age where nothing happens. People can't survive in space for long periods of time, so forget any mission to Mars--why bother? We certainly can't and won't go any further than that.
We can't go any further than that????
[Image: knapp01.png]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 4 users Like robotworld's post
20-06-2012, 10:15 AM
As for me, I'm glad to hear that Science is dead. I never really understood it to begin with. Now we can get back to more important topics like who would win a race, Superman or The Flash? And does anyone really think Aquaman is a relevant superhero? Ooooh...you can summon plankton with your mind...big deal!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
20-06-2012, 10:27 AM
For once, I agree with Igor.
And I agree with all these guys too:

1. While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming. – Lee DeForest, American radio pioneer, 1926.

2. Radio has no future. – Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist.

3. Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires, and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value. – Editorial in the Boston Post, 1865

4. ‘The abdomen, the chest and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon.’ – Sir John Eric Ericson, Surgeon to Queen Victoria, 1873

5. “That virus is a pussycat.” — Dr. Peter Duesberg, molecular-biology professor at U.C. Berkeley, on HIV, 1988

6. X-rays are a hoax. – Lord Kelvin (again!), ca. 1900

7. The so-called theories of Einstein are merely the ravings of a mind polluted with liberal, democratic nonsense which is utterly unacceptable to German men of science. – Dr. Walter Gross, 1940

8. “Louis Pasteur’s theory of germs is ridiculous fiction.” — Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872.

9. “Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.” — Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

10. “Everything that can be invented has been invented.” — Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
20-06-2012, 10:39 AM
(20-06-2012 12:45 AM)Egor Wrote:  Why do we have precognition? What's up with NDE's? What are we supposed to do with the time we have?

Egs! Haven't heard from you in a while - checked your site the other day but you hadn't reviewed anther book. Sounds like you've been looking for some kind of answers to things that seem to interest you. I don't think I have an answer to the three questions you asked, other than more questions, but I think that might just create a rabbit hole -boring. Shy

I know what I'm going to do with the time I have. If you are inquiring about humanity as a collective, then I would have to point out that "we" can't seem to get our shit together about now, let alone worry about some far off time between now and when the planet is swallowed by the Sun. I think that worrying about a future time is at the very least procrastination, if not down right avoiding taking responsibility to take care of the now time.

I don't know what is up with near death experiences - I guess people are near death and they continue to live through that experience. Cool, huh? Everyone's life experience is individual as I can only think their death, or near death, must be. An "NDE" happened to my Dad right in front of me - pretty cool too because he was hooked up to an eeg. Hell, I just thought he was nodding off, and then it was almost like he was awaking from a nap -his "mini death" was charted to be 17 seconds in length -quite long. He noted no experience other than he thought he fell asleep. He was charmingly embarrassed about it. Months later he died - almost five years ago, now... I love him still and will until I die. How long love continues is the only life expectancy or future to really care about... for me, anyway.

I don't know that humans have precognition, if one does, then maybe that person could answer your other questions to your greater satisfaction. I do know that if we worry about, and work on what is going on right now things will get done. On the other hand, if we worry about what "could be" or "might be" or expect a "right now" explanation of something that has not yet happened, we will just be spinning our wheels into a rut and nothing will get done.

I suppose it's a matter of choosing to live right now. I know the future will happen when it does... that's my personal instance of precognition. Tongue
Best to stick with what one knows... and then learn more.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-06-2012, 10:53 AM
(20-06-2012 12:45 AM)Egor Wrote:  Science is dead. They have recently discovered that the standard model is not correct. You can see this article, but I doubt it will make any sense to you.

http://www.thebunsenburner.com/news/stan...cientists/

The fact is no one ever really understood the standard model or why subatomic particles behave the way they do, and everyone knows that unless you can say why an electron behaves the way it does, or why a positron behaves the way it does, that it's pointless to try to make a theory about them. Science has come to its end.

Granted, that doesn't mean that God exists. But seriously, who gives a shit if God exists. He plays His games, and we play ours. We are created for His purpose and we automatically try to live out that purpose--that's it.

Our technology will give us a few more cool inventions, but that's about it. Even now, hardly anyone has a purpose for a tablet, and cell phones have become the gaming tools of idiots. There's nothing else we need. We can feed the world, we just don't. We can cure what we can cure, and that's it--all of us will eventually go by heart disease or cancer, and nothing can stop that.

We are headed for a new dark age where nothing happens. People can't survive in space for long periods of time, so forget any mission to Mars--why bother? We certainly can't and won't go any further than that.

We're going to have to start looking at the spiritual side of mankind. Why do we have precognition? What's up with NDE's? What are we supposed to do with the time we have?

Remember when you (meaning atheists) said "God is dead"? Well guess what? Science is dead.

Deal with that. Laughat
No, this just means that our understanding of subatomic particles MIGHT be flawed. Unlike religion, you don't throw out an entire body of demonstrable knowledge because one theory has flaws.

To tell the truth, over 90% of all scientific theorems are eventually proven false - that's an integral part of science. It builds upon itself and unlike religion self edits and corrects mistakes. It constantly tests its body of knowledge against new experiments and new discoveries and new knowledge and adjustments are made accordingly.

Remember, people like Newton, Einstein, Darwin, Maxwell, Huygens, Mendel, Heisenberg, Watson & Crick, etc., are not famous because they produced a theorem that was proven. They are famous because they produced a theorem that has been so difficult to DISPROVE. They discovered a fundamental nugget of wisdom about the nature of our universe and we've thrown everything we could think of to discredit it and failed. This is a far more elegant exploration of our world than merely pasting a one-size-fits-all God over every unexplained phenomena.

And science WILL continue to make mistakes as we learn more and more. Even major theories will be altered as we go.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
20-06-2012, 11:05 AM
(20-06-2012 10:15 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  As for me, I'm glad to hear that Science is dead. I never really understood it to begin with. Now we can get back to more important topics like who would win a race, Superman or The Flash? And does anyone really think Aquaman is a relevant superhero? Ooooh...you can summon plankton with your mind...big deal!

Well, Superman is pretty and all... but the Flash's outfit is pretty sweet, too. I'm gonna go with tradition & cause I think Superman's flying would be fastest.
Aquaman - he's ok -let's face it he kind of just fills that whole underwater niche. I think you envy the possibility that he might get to make out with the Little Mermaid... so, that may be kind of a dick fight on your part. No judgement -just sayin'. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post