Science is Dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2014, 11:26 AM
RE: Science is Dead
(23-12-2014 09:25 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are abbreviations in pediatric charting, and one of them is (I kid you not), "FLK". It's a highly technical term, (cough) which stands for "funny looking kid", (which would be appropriate in this case). A surgery resident was charting next to me once and said "You think I can write FLK with a GLM ?" I said "What''s that ?" He said "A funny lookin' kid with a good lookin' mom". I said "Ahhhhh, maybe better not". Tongue

I was recently watching an old St Elsewhere episode and they were debating listing cause of death as TRO.... Time Ran Out

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2014, 11:31 AM
I really hate to keep doing this, as we all know, (as we were recently told) that "Physics is dead", but maybe just sneak this one in before they close the book.

http://phys.org/news/2014-08-multi-taski...ticle.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-12-2014, 11:34 AM
(23-12-2014 09:27 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Yep, science is dead: http://phys.org/news/2014-12-halting-pho...ssion.html

It's not dead because we can't do things. It's dead because what we can do and discover is becoming less meaningful and useful. We could find out much more about subatomic particles if we would just build a particle accelerator the length of the equator. But to what end? For all the trouble, who cares is there's another class of quarks?

We can easily build a spacecraft to take astronauts to Neptune. But human beings can't survive the trip.

Maybe we could discover how to stop the aging process and then like BB we could be 21 forever, but the planet is already overpopulated, and abortion is a grotesque thing to do, and who wants to be sterilized? And once you've done all you can do and had all the toys you can buy--who wants to live forever?

Science is dying because we know what we need to know. It's time we start trying to figure out the mind and consciousness, because after all, that's what it's all for. Our bodies are there to keep our mind going. And all our science is for making our world better for our bodies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2014, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2014 11:42 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(23-12-2014 11:26 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:25 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah. That's what I thought too ... Tongue
One of the chest surgeons on that team was trained, (in part) by my dad, and we are sort of buds. He emailed us that the story would be on the radio. So proud of him.

There are abbreviations in pediatric charting, and one of them is (I kid you not), "FLK". It's a highly technical term, (cough) which stands for "funny looking kid", (which would be appropriate in this case). A surgery resident was charting next to me once and said "You think I can write FLK with a GLM ?" I said "What''s that ?" He said "A funny lookin' kid with a good lookin' mom". I said "Ahhhhh, maybe better not". Tongue

If you're 21, you weren't "charting" next to a surgery resident. A surgery resident is a medical doctor who works in a hospital. If you worked in a hospital and had any capacity to be "charting" next to a surgical resident, you damn sure would have bragged about it--in here or in your bio.

And this is what I mean when I say you're BS doesn't add up. You may be a nurse or a doctor, but then you're not 21. If you're 21 and still in college, you're not "charting" next to a surgery resident. Unless you're in med school--and someone like you would have bragged about that.

So, you don't add up, BB. I'm not saying you are some fat little creature in your mom's basement, and I'm not saying you have narcissistic personality disorder, but fat little creatures with NPD, always make statements, little name drops here and there, little grandiose hints to control the perceptions of others--but they never make them very logical.

A nurse I once worked with was like that. She would tell stories about meeting celebrities on elevators, going to law school, being a building contractor, etc...

So, shoot me down. Why were you "charting" next to a surgery resident? It's just a question. [Image: nixweiss.gif]

Or, tell me to fuck off, BB, and I promise you, I will never respond to another thing you post in this forum. That's a deal.

*yawn*

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-12-2014, 11:38 AM
(23-12-2014 11:34 AM)Gordon Wrote:  ...
We could find out much more about subatomic particles if we would just build a particle accelerator the length of the equator. But to what end?

I think that was also said about electricity.

I mean what's the point of that? Damn useless stuff!

Drinking Beverage

23-12-2014, 12:00 PM
(23-12-2014 11:34 AM)Gordon Wrote:  It's dead because what we can do and discover is becoming less meaningful and useful.

So you don't think that the recent explosion of technology is meaningful or useful? Where almost everyone has a smart phone or tablet and can use free apps which make use of the copious amount of information on the Internet? I've found learning German far easier precisely because of this technology. A smart phone allowed me to survive emigrating to another country because I could search on-line for whatever shop that I was looking for.

Scientific and technological progress is increasing at an ever faster rate.

Only someone completely mad would say otherwise.

Oh ... sorry ... Confused

(23-12-2014 11:34 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Science is dying because we know what we need to know.

We don't yet know everything that we need to know. There are still diseases to be cured and the rise of antibiotic resistance etc. Science and technology is becoming more important now than ever because we have to discover new ways to generate electricity to replace the finite resource of cheap fossil energy that society is utterly dependent upon.

(23-12-2014 11:34 AM)Gordon Wrote:  It's time we start trying to figure out the mind and consciousness

We are figuring out the mind and consciousness using the scientific method.
23-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Yeah, BB, or take the third option: ignore me. [Image: sadsad.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2014, 12:34 PM
(20-06-2012 02:18 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I like the idea that god couldn't pass a high school geometry class - Big Grin
When did He take the test?

Sapere aude
23-12-2014, 01:40 PM
(23-12-2014 12:27 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Yeah, BB, or take the third option: ignore me. [Image: sadsad.gif]

Poor little attention whore not getting his dose.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
23-12-2014, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2014 02:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-12-2014 11:26 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:25 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah. That's what I thought too ... Tongue
One of the chest surgeons on that team was trained, (in part) by my dad, and we are sort of buds. He emailed us that the story would be on the radio. So proud of him.

There are abbreviations in pediatric charting, and one of them is (I kid you not), "FLK". It's a highly technical term, (cough) which stands for "funny looking kid", (which would be appropriate in this case). A surgery resident was charting next to me once and said "You think I can write FLK with a GLM ?" I said "What''s that ?" He said "A funny lookin' kid with a good lookin' mom". I said "Ahhhhh, maybe better not". Tongue

If you're 21, you weren't "charting" next to a surgery resident. A surgery resident is a medical doctor who works in a hospital. If you worked in a hospital and had any capacity to be "charting" next to a surgical resident, you damn sure would have bragged about it--in here or in your bio.

And this is what I mean when I say you're BS doesn't add up. You may be a nurse or a doctor, but then you're not 21. If you're 21 and still in college, you're not "charting" next to a surgery resident. Unless you're in med school--and someone like you would have bragged about that.

So, you don't add up, BB. I'm not saying you are some fat little creature in your mom's basement, and I'm not saying you have narcissistic personality disorder, but fat little creatures with NPD, always make statements, little name drops here and there, little grandiose hints to control the perceptions of others--but they never make them very logical.

A nurse I once worked with was like that. She would tell stories about meeting celebrities on elevators, going to law school, being a building contractor, etc...

So, shoot me down. Why were you "charting" next to a surgery resident? It's just a question.

Or, tell me to fuck off, BB, and I promise you, I will never respond to another thing you post in this forum. That's a deal.

No fucktard. I sit at telemetry once in a while. You know. The cardiac monitiors. A lot of the students here do that. I did NOT say I was "charting". The docs sit next to us sometimes as they are the only chairs available, and some of them are our friends, and some of them are my dad's friends. So yeah. Fuck off you presumptuous old god damn ignorant idiot fool troll.

Now please. Keep your promise.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.