Science is Dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2012, 07:15 PM
RE: Science is Dead
(20-06-2012 04:34 PM)Egor Wrote:  The internet is great, but I used to go to the library and it’s one of my greatest childhood memories—riding my bike to the Riverside Public Library, or to the Library at Riverside Community College. It was like the whole world was open to me when I went through those doors.

Was this Riverside, CA? I lived there from '95-'04.

(20-06-2012 04:34 PM)Egor Wrote:  We are getting fat, lazy, devolving socially, and everyone’s a victim of something or another. Frankly, I’m thinking of Montana, myself. Look up Ted Kaczynski's old place, see if it’s on the market.

I'm not really sure you present a very sane image if you go around telling people you'd like to live like the Unabomber. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
20-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Looks like the scientists did an experiment with a newer and more accurate toy and got data that better defined quantum reality.
Well run for the hills it's over. Scientists all over the world will be committing mass suicide over a correction in a theory. Weeping
It is "Quantum Theory", not "Quantum Revelation".
Unlike theology, the truth will not destroy science, so we don't need to cover it up or deny its existence or kill the people who don't believe it.
That's how we roll Smartass

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 7 users Like Thomas's post
20-06-2012, 08:24 PM
(20-06-2012 06:45 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Who is this Egor guy?

He's the local Dunning-Kruger victim. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%...ger_effect . He's out of his Effexor this week. His part-time job is prophet. (There is only one large P over here). If ya run out of vacation destinations, spend about 1.75 seconds over at his alternate universe. He is just pissed off at the moment. It's hard to lose yer favorite toy, and realize that the name ya called everyone applies to yerself. Not to worry. I'm on ignore, to fulfull the prophesy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-06-2012, 08:28 PM
(20-06-2012 08:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

He's the local Dunning-Kruger victim. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%...ger_effect . He's out of his Effexor this week. His part-time job is prophet. (There is only one large P over here). If ya run out of vacation destinations, spend about 1.75 seconds over at his alternate universe. He is just pissed off at the moment. It's hard to lose yer favorite toy, and realize that the name ya called everyone applies to yerself. Not to worry. I'm on ignore, to fulfull the prophesy.
Dude, I forgot to take my Effexor yesterday...it was not a good scene. Note to self...don't ever forget to take Effexor again. No

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-06-2012, 09:55 PM
The article you linked to does not claim that "science is dead", but rather that the Standard Model of particle physics has been proven unlikely. The Standard Model is simply one model of many in this field.

Nobody's going to drop science as a way of understanding the world just because you don't like it. In order to replace this as our mode of collecting and analyzing information, we have to be presented with a model that can do it as well or better. I've seen how you argue, and I would imagine you'd prefer "faith" and "assumptions". These have been tried -- they rarely produce anything truthful or accurate. Why don't we just replace the scientific method with guessing?

I thought you'd actually made some progress, but I see you're still filtering information through the lens of fundamentalism. It's tragic.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
20-06-2012, 10:23 PM
(20-06-2012 04:34 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(20-06-2012 04:01 AM)Filox Wrote:  Smile

The fact is it’s too expensive and impractical to gain any more knowledge than we already have. I’m not talking about technology; that may well continue to advance for some time. I’m talking about theoretical understanding.

That's not a fact. That's not even close to a fact.

Facts, ironically enough, are often the domain of science.

What you have is subjective opinion masquerading as 100% certainty. That's a bad combo, my man. As soon as you can uncouple the two (and do away with illusion that 100% certainty exists) you should be on your way to a much more lucid, objective approach to evaluating articles like the one you posted her (as well as reality in general).

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 3 users Like lightninlives's post
21-06-2012, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2012 12:13 AM by kim.)
(20-06-2012 04:34 PM)Egor Wrote:  Well that’s just the point: What if you spent your life studying the Standard Model? You thought you knew something for all those years only to find out the information you were getting was bullshit.

Hmm, you sound very discouraged. Maybe you are overdoing things and it's got your mind clutching at odd bits of information. So much negativity will not help you keep a clear head to stay on track with your writing. I hope you take the time to relax and step away from everything. It will do you a world of good.

Ha - I wouldn't worry for these scientists studying the Standard Model; they're scientists, they will look to further research if this particular bit of work has come out unsuccessfully- happens all the time. Scientifically, if something doesn't pan out, they then look for reasons as to why, what factors led to this point, etc.,. They may spend several years figuring what didn't quite work out, right along side a new and different path. And sometimes, much of an "unsuccessful" theory can be salvaged or... years later, someone might take another look and see something disregarded and take that to a next level of understanding.

Look at Rosalind Franklin and her 1950 work on the X-ray diffraction images of DNA. Her DNA images were so dynamic but she wasn't looking at what Crick and Watson were looking for. They used her data from 1950 to confirm their 1953 hypothesis regarding the inverted helical structure of DNA - the double helix. Franklin had independently determined the overall B-form of the DNA helix and the location of the phosphate groups on the outside of the structure a full two years prior to the Watson, Crick hypothesis. Science always moves on.

Among other things, I'm quite bothered by this...
(20-06-2012 04:34 PM)Egor Wrote:  Atheists never think about the implications of utter annihilation. They always think about what they’ll leave behind for others and all that, never thinking that all those others will be completely annihilated, too.

Do you speak for yourself? Have you become an Atheist? Even if you are, you would have to use the words "I never think...." Unless you have developed some sort of telepathy, you can never know what any other person thinks. At all.

You do not know that people on this forum "never think about the implications of utter annihilation". In fact, I told you myself that the Sun will swallow the Earth... or did you simply not read what I wrote?

You must not have read it or if you did, then you miscomprehended what I wrote. I believe I stated rather emphatically, "How long love continues, is the only life expectancy or future to really care about... for me, anyway." Did you not understand this?

If ..."YOU always think about what YOU’ll leave behind for others and all that, never thinking that all those others will be completely annihilated, too"... if you want to say that about yourself, then that's up to you. Why would you think this is what I think when I've clearly told you my feelings on just such a subject? You state that, "Atheists always think..." after I clearly gave you information which completely opposes this sentiment.

Speaking for another is usually frowned upon... it's called misrepresentation. It is unbecoming to most professional writers.

I have a feeling you may be confused, Egor, which is why I advise you to give yourself time to get away from your over-full plate. You do appear to have a very negative outlook, at least at the moment. Your assessment of much might be confused by any small bit of discouragement you perceive surrounding you and your undertakings. As I said, you seem to have a lot on your plate, and people around such tumult can seem to be discouraging productivity, when they really are not.

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble; I'm tired but it's too noisy to sleep - I'm waiting for a storm to blow past. Take it easy and don't discourage others or yourself. It won't help you accomplish any of your ideas, it will only continue to deter and confuse your thoughts. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 7 users Like kim's post
21-06-2012, 12:36 AM

I hope he doesn't claim to be a Theist. Especially not a Christian Theist. If so, his rage drinking problem is embarrassing.

Science will die the moment all of existence ceases to exist.

I’m not a Christian. I’m a writer—so why would you expect me to be sober?

(20-06-2012 07:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Was this Riverside, CA? I lived there from '95-'04.

Yes, in fact, Riverside, Ca. I lived there when I was a kid and then again as an adult. But we moved to Colorado in 1993. Now I’m in New Orleans area.

(20-06-2012 08:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  ]Dude, I forgot to take my Effexor yesterday...it was not a good scene. Note to self...don't ever forget to take Effexor again. No

You and me, Erxomai—a few years from now.

(21-06-2012 12:09 AM)kim Wrote:  Hmm, you sound very discouraged. Maybe you are overdoing things and it's got your mind clutching at odd bits of information. So much negativity will not help you keep a clear head to stay on track with your writing. I hope you take the time to relax and step away from everything. It will do you a world of good.

Wow. You really sound like you have your shit together, Kim. If only I could be like you.
…There, now will you stop with the priceless advice?
Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2012, 01:01 AM
[Image: MrRogersI.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
21-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Egor - Science is dead and gravity no longer works. Please find the nearest tall building and lets do a little experiment.
If science is dead as you claim, you'll be just fine. If however, I'm correct, then I've solved two problems.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post