Science is Dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2012, 06:23 AM
RE: Science is Dead
(20-06-2012 10:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  For once, I agree with Igor.
And I agree with all these guys too:

1. While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming. – Lee DeForest, American radio pioneer, 1926.

2. Radio has no future. – Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist.

3. Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires, and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value. – Editorial in the Boston Post, 1865

4. ‘The abdomen, the chest and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon.’ – Sir John Eric Ericson, Surgeon to Queen Victoria, 1873

5. “That virus is a pussycat.” — Dr. Peter Duesberg, molecular-biology professor at U.C. Berkeley, on HIV, 1988

6. X-rays are a hoax. – Lord Kelvin (again!), ca. 1900

7. The so-called theories of Einstein are merely the ravings of a mind polluted with liberal, democratic nonsense which is utterly unacceptable to German men of science. – Dr. Walter Gross, 1940

8. “Louis Pasteur’s theory of germs is ridiculous fiction.” — Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872.

9. “Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.” — Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

10. “Everything that can be invented has been invented.” — Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899
Reminded me of this one:

When he [Michael Faraday] demonstrated his apparatus [dynamo] to His Majesty's Government, the prime minister, Sir Robert Peel, asked, "Of what use is it?" To which Faraday replied: "I don't know, but I'll wager that some day you'll tax it." ~ from wikiquote

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-06-2012, 08:26 AM
(21-06-2012 06:23 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(20-06-2012 10:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  For once, I agree with Igor.
And I agree with all these guys too:

1. While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming. – Lee DeForest, American radio pioneer, 1926.

2. Radio has no future. – Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist.

3. Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires, and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value. – Editorial in the Boston Post, 1865

4. ‘The abdomen, the chest and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon.’ – Sir John Eric Ericson, Surgeon to Queen Victoria, 1873

5. “That virus is a pussycat.” — Dr. Peter Duesberg, molecular-biology professor at U.C. Berkeley, on HIV, 1988

6. X-rays are a hoax. – Lord Kelvin (again!), ca. 1900

7. The so-called theories of Einstein are merely the ravings of a mind polluted with liberal, democratic nonsense which is utterly unacceptable to German men of science. – Dr. Walter Gross, 1940

8. “Louis Pasteur’s theory of germs is ridiculous fiction.” — Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872.

9. “Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.” — Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

10. “Everything that can be invented has been invented.” — Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899
Reminded me of this one:

When he [Michael Faraday] demonstrated his apparatus [dynamo] to His Majesty's Government, the prime minister, Sir Robert Peel, asked, "Of what use is it?" To which Faraday replied: "I don't know, but I'll wager that some day you'll tax it." ~ from wikiquote
hehehe. Cheers. That's one of my favourites too, as a retort to the theist's "what use is science?" kinda comment.

Find all posts by this user
21-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Yes DLJ - thanks for that post!

I'm still astounded at this one:

“That virus is a pussycat.” — Dr. Peter Duesberg, molecular-biology professor at U.C. Berkeley, on HIV, 1988
What could he have meant -surely this must be taken out of context? I can't even see him saying this even in comparison to small pox in it's stability. Of course at that time, it's possible that it's rapid replication process was as yet unknown... still, what a fool!

A hasty mind can get left behind.

I dun made that rhyme myself, jus' like 'at, jus' right now. Big Grin

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
21-06-2012, 08:49 AM
(21-06-2012 08:39 AM)kim Wrote:  A hasty mind can get left behind.
From prophet training summer session, (lookin out da window). "one awesome behind"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-06-2012, 10:30 AM
(21-06-2012 08:39 AM)kim Wrote:  Yes DLJ - thanks for that post!

I'm still astounded at this one:

“That virus is a pussycat.” — Dr. Peter Duesberg, molecular-biology professor at U.C. Berkeley, on HIV, 1988
What could he have meant -surely this must be taken out of context? I can't even see him saying this even in comparison to small pox in it's stability. Of course at that time, it's possible that it's rapid replication process was as yet unknown... still, what a fool!

A hasty mind can get left behind.

I dun made that rhyme myself, jus' like 'at, jus' right now. Big Grin
I think what Dr. Peter meant was that the virus is so tame, it is a pussy, a noob, a weakling, a pathetic piece of crap, which in reality, this virus is the harbinger of death in quite a number of countries. So yeah, that's HIV's way of saying "Fuck you" to Dr. Peter.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 2 users Like robotworld's post
21-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Surprised not to see this one there:
Quote:Comte de Bufon "Of one thing I am certain, we will never know what the stars are made of."

This is a famous one - he spake forth these wise words just a few years before people applied spectroscopy to the Sun and other stars Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
21-06-2012, 12:15 PM
(21-06-2012 12:36 AM)Egor Wrote:  

You and me, Erxomai—a few years from now.

Ok, but I get to be the Chief. Some would say you need the lobotomy more than I do. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-06-2012, 01:13 AM

(21-06-2012 12:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ok, but I get to be the Chief. Some would say you need the lobotomy more than I do. Tongue

I wouldn't have it any other way. Drooling

P.S. Oh look, there goes my reputation again. And I cherished it so.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
22-06-2012, 01:34 AM
(22-06-2012 01:13 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(21-06-2012 12:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ok, but I get to be the Chief. Some would say you need the lobotomy more than I do. Tongue
I wouldn't have it any other way. Drooling

P.S. Oh look, there goes my reputation again. And I cherished it so.
Yeah, you picked this thread title like a news editors pick headlines (to grab the most attention).

Also you clearly misrepresented the article you referenced. You must be smart enough to know this. I've seen evidence of your intelligence so I don't think it's possible for you to do this without doing this knowingly. That just makes you dishonest.

In laymans terms - standard model has successfully withstood 30+ years of testing and observations. If the higgs boson isn't found only part of the standard model needs to be revised to account for this. Even if the standard model is wrong it is still useful and so far has made accurate predictions within our limited test environments.

Science doesn't care if the standard model is wrong. Science progresses with or without the standard model.

How can you kill philosophy?

Why did you post this? Aren't you getting enough attention?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
22-06-2012, 01:52 AM
I wanted to read the article, but the link took me to the main site instead. It seems most of the links on this site arent working correctly for me. Could it be Google Chrome?