Science is Dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2012, 06:50 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2012 07:42 AM by Vosur.)
RE: Science is Dead
(22-06-2012 01:34 PM)Egor Wrote:  No, my opinion is that science is dead and this article I referenced is my supporting evidence. So deal with it. And while you're at it deal with the fact that your religion is dead (the religion of atheism). As science becomes more and more speculative without any real technological return, your religion will become as mythical as Christianity or the Greek gods before it. Atheism is dead.

And for your information, it's not about getting attention. You guys are the ones responsible for me getting attention. I posted because I felt bad that I hadn't posted in a while. Weeping

[Image: 4545053025_451a1d2078.jpg]

I had such high hopes in you when I listened to all of your book reviews, Egor. You seemed like an intelligent person who has his shit together. But now you're spouting out all kinds of nonsense. Haven't you read the responses to your original post? Atheism is not a religion. Atheism and science have no connection other than that Atheists like to use scientific evidence to support their reasoning. If a scientific theory is refuted, scientists will improve it or replace it with a better one. Science doesn't "die" because of a theory turning out to be wrong.

(23-06-2012 06:09 AM)Eternal Wrote:  Now what I want to know is that if this is true will you recant your statement about the Higgs Boson and agree that this could be the dawn of an exciting new era in science. Or will you just keep being a deluded pig fucker.
Reminds me of this video from CH (2:07):

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-06-2012, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2012 10:21 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-06-2012 06:23 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Censored Now I guess I'll have to go to church.... Science isn't wrong.... Your perspective of it is.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ray_kurzweil_an...rsity.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_change
http://singularityhub.com/2009/09/10/vid...at-google/
http://enterpriseresilienceblog.typepad....wards.html
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/0...gs-rumors/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18521327

"Out of the mouths of babes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabola

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-06-2012, 11:55 AM
On the subject of right and wrong when it comes to science.
We can accurately describe the conditions that will allow a glider to fly without any propulsion.
As we learn more about aerodynamics we can alter wing shape and structure to allow for propulsion take off from the ground.
More knowledge is gained and again altering materials and wing shape, we can travel much faster.

A changing model of how we view a particular science doesn't make what we knew in the past wrong, it simply makes our new perspective more accurate.

Given that, there are times in our past when our models about a particular thing have been way off base, like the idea of the earth being the center of everything and all the stars and objects in space orbiting around us or the idea that there are gods who exist but yet don't exist as they watch but yet don't watch and care but yet don't care about our every movement we make in life, we might want to simply be skeptical about things until evidence is presented that backs up a claim.

So if you think that the earth is the center of the universe and that you are the center of a god's attention, you might have a superego problem.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
23-06-2012, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2012 02:32 PM by kim.)
(23-06-2012 11:55 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So if you think that the earth is the center of the universe and that you are the center of a god's attention, you might have a superego problem.

Ha! yes... with or without the earth, universe, or even a God... the super ego issue, has previously been well established. Yes

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-06-2012, 11:19 PM

(23-06-2012 11:55 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  On the subject of right and wrong when it comes to science.
We can accurately describe the conditions that will allow a glider to fly without any propulsion.
As we learn more about aerodynamics we can alter wing shape and structure to allow for propulsion take off from the ground.

More knowledge is gained and again altering materials and wing shape, we can travel much faster.

A changing model of how we view a particular science doesn't make what we knew in the past wrong, it simply makes our new perspective more accurate.

Given that, there are times in our past when our models about a particular thing have been way off base, like the idea of the earth being the center of everything and all the stars and objects in space orbiting around us or the idea that there are gods who exist but yet don't exist as they watch but yet don't watch and care but yet don't care about our every movement we make in life, we might want to simply be skeptical about things until evidence is presented that backs up a claim.

So if you think that the earth is the center of the universe and that you are the center of a god's attention, you might have a superego problem.

Everything you said has that whole faith-tinged sound to it. You believe in science. You believe it will solve all our problems and lead us into a utopia, but it won't. As for God, I haven't made one statement about God in this post. I don't make statements about God anymore. I've stopped being so arrogant as to think I can.

But that doesn't mean atheism is true. Atheism is just a religion like any other. Evolution is your creation myth; science is your God in whom you place your faith; hedonism is your moral foundation. I am truly free. You are still chained to a religious way of thinking. Bowing
Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2012, 11:43 PM
(23-06-2012 11:19 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 11:55 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  On the subject of right and wrong when it comes to science.

Everything you said has that whole faith-tinged sound to it. You believe in science. You believe it will solve all our problems and lead us into a utopia, but it won't. As for God, I haven't made one statement about God in this post. I don't make statements about God anymore. I've stopped being so arrogant as to think I can.

But that doesn't mean atheism is true. Atheism is just a religion like any other. Evolution is your creation myth; science is your God in whom you place your faith; hedonism is your moral foundation. I am truly free. You are still chained to a religious way of thinking. Bowing
Poor Egor. *hugs*

But to insult science, atheism, and evolution means you're probably trolling.

SO DO NOT FEED HIM ANY MORE TROLL FOOD.

[Image: 032312_2231_DontFeedthe122.png]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
24-06-2012, 12:46 AM
(20-06-2012 04:34 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(20-06-2012 04:01 AM)Filox Wrote:  Egor, this shows how science makes progress, how science evolves and how it changes in the light of new discoveries. This is the definition of science. If anything, this shows us how science just became even more scientific, not dead. You have missed the point of science, scientific progress and you missed it by 180°.

Try to read what we said about "science" in the last few months...

Smile

I’m not the first one to claim science is dead. The fact is it’s too expensive and impractical to gain any more knowledge than we already have. I’m not talking about technology; that may well continue to advance for some time. I’m talking about theoretical understanding.

(20-06-2012 05:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  Seems like an example of living science to me Wink

The most exciting results are when an experiment contradicts theory. Then you know something really interesting is going on, something that no one's ever thought about before. Those guys must be feeling so awesome right now Smile Not every day you get to break the standard model Big Grin

Frankly, I think it’s the Vaseline before the shaft. They’re not going to find the Higgs boson and they know it. I think they’re just making shit up now to justify continued grants for the use of the LHC. Lots of money, lots of jobs.

(20-06-2012 10:15 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  As for me, I'm glad to hear that Science is dead. I never really understood it to begin with. Now we can get back to more important topics like who would win a race, Superman or The Flash? And does anyone really think Aquaman is a relevant superhero? Ooooh...you can summon plankton with your mind...big deal!

Might as well.

(20-06-2012 10:39 AM)kim Wrote:  Egs! Haven't heard from you in a while - checked your site the other day but you hadn't reviewed anther book. Sounds like you've been looking for some kind of answers to things that seem to interest you.

Whatever. I’ve been working on my latest novel, and I just haven’t had a lot of interest in other things. I’ve written the review for “The Innocent.” And we’re going to do the video tonight, I think. I’ll probably be announcing it in the next week or so. There’s really no hurry. I’m slowly building my presence on a lot of different forums and groups, and that takes time.

And I’ve got the time. It’s probably going to be a year before this new novel is ready to publish. It’s about a post-grad astronomy student and her friends who discover an interstellar comet is going to hit the earth in 11 months. Absolutely nothing can be done about it, so the book explores the sociological implications of humanity facing its own extinction. In the end, she finds a way out, but it’s not what you might expect.

I got the idea from debates in this group, actually. Atheists never think about the implications of utter annihilation. They always think about what they’ll leave behind for others and all that, never thinking that all those others will be completely annihilated, too. So I extrapolate that to a physical world-wide event: What if the world was about to be turned into a new asteroid belt orbiting the sun so that all of human history was in vain?

I don’t talk about atheism or God directly in the book, but underneath that’s what’s being shown: If there is no God, human history is pointless.

Right now, I’m far more interested in writing that novel than in churning out book reviews as fast as I can.

And here’s something else I’ve been debating: should I really be writing reviews for famous books? I’m thinking about limiting my selection to self-published books only. It would be fitting with the whole new world of publishing.

Nevertheless, I have The Innocent, and the one I’m currently reading by Lincoln Child: “The Third Gate.” Then I may switch to self-pub books only. After all, it’s just as hard to find a book worth reading from the bix six as it is these days from self-published authors.

Quote:I don't think I have an answer to the three questions you asked, other than more questions, but I think that might just create a rabbit hole -boring. Shy

I know what I'm going to do with the time I have. If you are inquiring about humanity as a collective, then I would have to point out that "we" can't seem to get our shit together about now, let alone worry about some far off time between now and when the planet is swallowed by the Sun. I think that worrying about a future time is at the very least procrastination, if not down right avoiding taking responsibility to take care of the now time.

I don't know what is up with near death experiences - I guess people are near death and they continue to live through that experience. Cool, huh? Everyone's life experience is individual as I can only think their death, or near death, must be. An "NDE" happened to my Dad right in front of me - pretty cool too because he was hooked up to an eeg. Hell, I just thought he was nodding off, and then it was almost like he was awaking from a nap -his "mini death" was charted to be 17 seconds in length -quite long. He noted no experience other than he thought he fell asleep. He was charmingly embarrassed about it. Months later he died - almost five years ago, now... I love him still and will until I die. How long love continues is the only life expectancy or future to really care about... for me, anyway.

I don't know that humans have precognition, if one does, then maybe that person could answer your other questions to your greater satisfaction. I do know that if we worry about, and work on what is going on right now things will get done. On the other hand, if we worry about what "could be" or "might be" or expect a "right now" explanation of something that has not yet happened, we will just be spinning our wheels into a rut and nothing will get done.

I suppose it's a matter of choosing to live right now. I know the future will happen when it does... that's my personal instance of precognition. Tongue
Best to stick with what one knows... and then learn more.

Well that’s just the point: What if you spent your life studying the Standard Model? You thought you knew something for all those years only to find out the information you were getting was bullshit.

We might as well be reading comic books. Honestly, what else do we need? A cure for heart disease, cancer, to live three hundred years, what…we’d have to stop having babies if we did that. We might as well be living in the Dark Ages. Cell phones are nice, but most of my life I lived without them. Computers are nice, but again, until 1985, I never had one—no one did, and even then they sucked. The internet is great, but I used to go to the library and it’s one of my greatest childhood memories—riding my bike to the Riverside Public Library, or to the Library at Riverside Community College. It was like the whole world was open to me when I went through those doors.

We are getting fat, lazy, devolving socially, and everyone’s a victim of something or another. Frankly, I’m thinking of Montana, myself. Look up Ted Kaczynski's old place, see if it’s on the market.

[Image: nhics1998-shack2.jpg]
RE "What if you spent your life studying the Standard Model? You thought you knew something for all those years only to find out the information you were getting was bullshit."

Are you referring to your own experience with the verucundian gospel?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
24-06-2012, 12:47 AM
(23-06-2012 07:50 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-06-2012 06:23 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Censored Now I guess I'll have to go to church.... Science isn't wrong.... Your perspective of it is.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ray_kurzweil_an...rsity.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_change
http://singularityhub.com/2009/09/10/vid...at-google/
http://enterpriseresilienceblog.typepad....wards.html
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/0...gs-rumors/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18521327

"Out of the mouths of babes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabola

What's this?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
24-06-2012, 01:21 AM

(23-06-2012 11:43 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  But to insult science, atheism, and evolution means you're probably trolling.

SO DO NOT FEED HIM ANY MORE TROLL FOOD.

That's exactly what I'm talking about: look at your adherence, your loyalty. How can "science" be insulted? It's not a being. You meant to say "disagree with" but you said--quite automatically, I'm sure--"insult."

Religious thinking is faith in something you believe to be greater than yourself. Your atheism is religious thinking. You should be like me and make no comment at all. There really is nothing to say. If God exists, there's nothing to say about it; He plays His games and we play ours. If God doesn't exist, then there's no reason to have any religion at all, not even atheism. If God is simply our higher self, then we are simply having an internal monologue at this point, and so again, there's no reason to be religous or take a position on the existence of God. In fact, if God is our higher self, then there is no God, because God can't have a God.

Your atheism is pointless. When are you ever going to see that? And I'll bet you consider yourself a free thinker. No
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
24-06-2012, 01:25 AM

(24-06-2012 12:46 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Are you referring to your own experience with the verucundian gospel?

Mark! How's it going? Still fucking your patients? Hobo

As for the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ. It's just a book, made from five other books, using my intuition to determine the best way to combine the stories. It makes no argument for God and it prescribes no religion. It is what it is.