Science is better than religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2014, 03:55 PM
RE: Science Should Replace Religion for These Reasons.
(22-01-2014 03:37 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 03:34 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I hope so. I fear that religion will only cease to exist when our Sun starts to form into a red giant star. But, you never know......

The more science advances the lower the chances of religion leaving when the sun expands.

True. If religion is to be "defeated", it will indeed be through science. But it will have to be something that is ground breaking, and easy for people to understand. Maybe finding life on an expo planet or in our solar system on one of Jupiter's or Saturn's moons.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2014, 04:10 PM
(22-01-2014 03:53 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 02:12 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I can't wait for science to completely gets rid of religion. Just think about it

We can progress in scientific research

We can lower or maybe even stop hating of people for being different

We can make what was once sci-fi can become real

We can learn how to end world hunger

We can better our education

We can learn our place in the universe

We can focus on real ways to better humans
Do you care to explain how these things follow from the abolishment of religion and why you think that they cannot be realized while religion is still around? Consider

How religion being gone help these. You must remember despite the fact there are religious people looking towards the future a lot don't. Most believe we are in the end times and helping the world is useless because jesus is coming back. Those who tend to be christian culturally end up losing their religion most of the time. So i guess this would be more religious extremist. However i'm really trying to promote scientific thinking over religious thinking.Wink

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
22-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Science overthrew religion as an explanatory system back when we were still calling it "natural philosophy." Just because many people still confide in religion for explanations doesn't make religion any less obsolete in that regard.

"Science" can't replicate the socio-cultural aspects encompassed by religion; it has simply replaced it as an explanatory method. People will continue to cling to religion for quite awhile.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
22-01-2014, 04:51 PM
(22-01-2014 04:10 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  How religion being gone help these.
Yes, that's what I want to know.

(22-01-2014 04:10 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You must remember despite the fact there are religious people looking towards the future a lot don't. Most believe we are in the end times and helping the world is useless because jesus is coming back. Those who tend to be christian culturally end up losing their religion most of the time. So i guess this would be more religious extremist.
I seriously doubt that most people believe that we're living in the end times; do you know of any statistics that support this notion?

In any case, religious extremists are a minority in the general population and they lack the necessary influence to stifle scientific research to the extent that you have described (this is especially true for European and Asian countries).

(22-01-2014 04:10 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  However i'm really trying to promote scientific thinking over religious thinking.Wink
While that's an admirable goal, I don't think you have really answered my question. Allow me to rephrase it in a more concise manner.

What is it about religion that allegedly prevents us from doing all these things (e.g. eradicating world hunger)?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
22-01-2014, 04:56 PM
(22-01-2014 04:45 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Science overthrew religion as an explanatory system back when we were still calling it "natural philosophy." Just because many people still confide in religion for explanations doesn't make religion any less obsolete in that regard.

"Science" can't replicate the socio-cultural aspects encompassed by religion; it has simply replaced it as an explanatory method. People will continue to cling to religion for quite awhile.

This is indeed very true. Religion is more socio-cultural, however science too can bring people together. Religion isn't the only thing that can bring people together. Video games, sports, tv, music, food, history, politics, and many more can bring people together. You also must remember that religion depends on the god of the gaps, the more science advances the smaller the gap gets. Eventually this gap will get so small that religion can't handle it anymore and will retreat into history.

22-01-2014, 05:08 PM
(22-01-2014 04:51 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 04:10 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  How religion being gone help these.
Yes, that's what I want to know.

(22-01-2014 04:10 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You must remember despite the fact there are religious people looking towards the future a lot don't. Most believe we are in the end times and helping the world is useless because jesus is coming back. Those who tend to be christian culturally end up losing their religion most of the time. So i guess this would be more religious extremist.
I seriously doubt that most people believe that we're living in the end times; do you know of any statistics that support this notion?

In any case, religious extremists are a minority in the general population and they lack the necessary influence to stifle scientific research to the extent that you have described (this is especially true for European and Asian countries).

(22-01-2014 04:10 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  However i'm really trying to promote scientific thinking over religious thinking.Wink
While that's an admirable goal, I don't think you have really answered my question. Allow me to rephrase it in a more concise manner.

What is it about religion that allegedly prevents us from doing all these things (e.g. eradicating world hunger)?

You honestly got me on many points. The amount of people that are living in america that believe in the end times is only 4 out of 10 (still a scary amount if you ask me)http://www.christianpost.com/news/poll-4...es-104423/

Some of the things i needed to really make clear. When i meant end world hunger i should have said something more on the lines of "making science even more useful in helping human life expectancy http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/pages/basics6.aspx stem cells for example.

I wouldn't say that about extremist though, christian extremist in america can't make a big move of violence in america because they have everyone else(including other christians) watching them. Also i meant muslims as well. Many places in the middle east are filled with extremist. Later ill change the post to a better statements.

22-01-2014, 06:11 PM
(22-01-2014 04:56 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You also must remember that religion depends on the god of the gaps,

No, that's an overgeneralisation.

Quote:the more science advances the smaller the gap gets. Eventually this gap will get so small that religion can't handle it anymore and will retreat into history.

You don't appear to understand the social and psychological aspects of religiosity that will persist regardless of scientific progress.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
22-01-2014, 06:22 PM
(22-01-2014 06:11 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 04:56 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You also must remember that religion depends on the god of the gaps,

No, that's an overgeneralisation.

Quote:the more science advances the smaller the gap gets. Eventually this gap will get so small that religion can't handle it anymore and will retreat into history.

You don't appear to understand the social and psychological aspects of religiosity that will persist regardless of scientific progress.

crap im messing up am i. Alright maybe i should change this to something better how about why science is better then religion or something along those lines?Consider

22-01-2014, 07:06 PM
RE: Science is better then religion
(22-01-2014 04:56 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 04:45 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Science overthrew religion as an explanatory system back when we were still calling it "natural philosophy." Just because many people still confide in religion for explanations doesn't make religion any less obsolete in that regard.

This is indeed very true. Religion is more socio-cultural, however science too can bring people together. Religion isn't the only thing that can bring people together. Video games, sports, tv, music, food, history, politics, and many more can bring people together. You also must remember that religion depends on the god of the gaps, the more science advances the smaller the gap gets. Eventually this gap will get so small that religion can't handle it anymore and will retreat into history.

Of course other things can replace religion for bringing people together, I'm just saying science can't do it in as profound a way as religion has. That's not its job; explaining and predicting natural phenomenon is.

[Image: giphy.gif]
22-01-2014, 07:13 PM
RE: Science is better then religion
[Image: then.png]
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post