Science lesson for today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2013, 11:53 PM
RE: Science lesson for today.
(09-10-2013 02:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: 1382973_10151887468615155_578217352_n.jpg]

Wow--this is stupid on so many levels. We might laugh at the idea he thinks wind is a limited resource. As long as there is a sun, there will be inconsistent heating of the earth, and therefore wind will exist until there is no heating of the earth from a sun.

To the extent that a wind farm slows down winds, the thermodynamic effect of this would actually be cooling, not warming. The very definition of an engine is that it takes a fluid (wind in this case) and uses the energy in that fluid to perform work (turn the turbine) and the output is a fluid that is at a lower temperature. The work performed by an engine is literally the amount of heat lost from the fluid. This is the first law of thermodynamics. It cannot be violated.

What is it with these types and their reliance on bullshit thermodynamics arguments? Creationists like to misuse entropy and the second law of thermodynamics to argue that complexity cannot happen naturally. This guy wants to violate the first law of thermodynamics as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Lol. Golden. We could always use some of the pipes and trucks the internet is made of and divert some that finite wind.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
10-10-2013, 03:08 AM
(09-10-2013 10:05 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  His wiki article has the full quote:

"Wind is God’s way of balancing heat. Wind is the way you shift heat from areas where it’s hotter to areas where it’s cooler. That’s what wind is. Wouldn’t it be ironic if in the interest of global warming we mandated massive switches to energy, which is a finite resource, which slows the winds down, which causes the temperature to go up? Now, I’m not saying that’s going to happen, Mr. Chairman, but that is definitely something on the massive scale. I mean, it does make some sense. You stop something, you can’t transfer that heat, and the heat goes up. It’s just something to think about."

Dumbasses like this should be required to take and pass a science test before they are appointed to such positions.

Wind does move planetary heat....so he got that right.
Wind turbines do slow down the wind that powers them....so he got that right.

Now lets make a couple of assumptions.
Assumption 1. The average wind turbine generates 1.8 megawatts.
Assumption 2. The world uses 143 petawatts(143 quadrillion watts) annually.
Conclusion: 79,444,444,444 wind turbines rated at 1.8 megawatts would be needed to meet the current energy demands.

The surface area of the world is 196,940,000 square miles. So 403 wind turbines per square mile would be needed to meet current annual world energy consumption.

I bet 403 wind turbines per square mile would significantly slow the winds down. I bet 1 wind turbine per square mile would slow the winds down and thus increase the temperature measurably in certain places.
10-10-2013, 03:38 AM
(09-10-2013 08:11 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well goddammit, Chas. Thanks to our back and forth in the abortion thread I totally missed my 2000th post.

2,031 posts, bitches! Banana_zorro

Shocking I so sowwy. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-10-2013, 03:56 AM
There is enough wind energy to meet our needs

According to the article anyways. But the article also says this:

Quote:Wind turbines are great — but they're not massively scalable. They create drag (or resistance), which results in momentum being removed from the winds. So, while adding more and more turbines would increase the amount of energy that could be extracted, there will eventually come a tipping point such that adding more turbines will not generate more electricity.

Which suggest that Joe Barton is right....wind energy generated from ground based wind turbines is a finite resource.

I think all you guys who are laughing at Joe Barton are bigger morons than he is....he actually has a valid point. Wind energy is a finite resource and maximizing production of it could cause a serious environmental impact.

Just sayin Tongue
10-10-2013, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2013 10:50 AM by cheapthrillseaker.)
Ok, I held this in too long.

That feels so much better.

[Image: morgan-freeman-2.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
10-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Temperature is a combination of a lot of processes and a great deal has to do with the earth's core itself. Heat from the molten core hardly reaches the surface at all; because of the very thick insulating mantle.

The rotating molten metal outer core acts like a dynamo, and produces a magnetic field. This magnetic field reacts with incoming solar radiation and prevents harmful charged particles from reaching the surface. The reaction between the solar wind and the upper atmosphere causes, among other things, the aurora. Ozone is a gas that absorbs a lot of the ultraviolet rays and it also traps heat from escaping from our atmosphere.

There's quite a bit of complex play that goes on. A planet needs a molten core to even have an atmosphere like this. Once our core cools, we're fucked.

Don't ignore your core. Drinking Beverage That politician is a fucking moron.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-10-2013, 11:24 AM
As someone who flies and uses the wind to fly... I'd like to say I'm sorry for taking your wind.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
10-10-2013, 11:45 AM
(10-10-2013 11:24 AM)Logisch Wrote:  As someone who flies and uses the wind to fly... I'd like to say I'm sorry for taking your wind.

Angry You bitch - quit using up all the wind!!! You suck! Consider Or maybe you blow... ?

Mmmmmyes.... carry on. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-10-2013, 06:26 PM
(10-10-2013 03:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  There is enough wind energy to meet our needs

According to the article anyways. But the article also says this:

Quote:Wind turbines are great — but they're not massively scalable. They create drag (or resistance), which results in momentum being removed from the winds. So, while adding more and more turbines would increase the amount of energy that could be extracted, there will eventually come a tipping point such that adding more turbines will not generate more electricity.

Which suggest that Joe Barton is right....wind energy generated from ground based wind turbines is a finite resource.

I think all you guys who are laughing at Joe Barton are bigger morons than he is....he actually has a valid point. Wind energy is a finite resource and maximizing production of it could cause a serious environmental impact.

Just sayin Tongue

You're the moron. You are confusing power with energy. A source of energy that continues as long as the sun burns is no reasonable definition of finite. The human race will cease to exist long before we run out of wind.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post