Science vs Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2014, 06:48 PM
RE: Science vs Morality
(06-07-2014 06:36 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  I've seen this lecture several times and found it very interesting - but I think if you're saying that pleasure is the greatest thing someone can have then you clearly zoned out when he talks about lab-rats going to extreme lengths because they essentially become pleasure addicts...

Nice try though...
In that case, it would depend on the situation. If you are using pleasure to do insane things, then pleasure may or may not be the best thing here. But if you are in a situation that Robert Sapolsky described which is just simply enjoying life, then in that case, pleasure is the greatest thing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 06:53 PM
(06-07-2014 06:48 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(06-07-2014 06:36 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  I've seen this lecture several times and found it very interesting - but I think if you're saying that pleasure is the greatest thing someone can have then you clearly zoned out when he talks about lab-rats going to extreme lengths because they essentially become pleasure addicts...

Nice try though...
In that case, it would depend on the situation. If you are using pleasure to do insane things, then pleasure may or may not be the best thing here. But if you are in a situation that Robert Sapolsky described which is just simply enjoying life, then in that case, pleasure is the greatest thing.

Disagree - if there was absolutely nothing but pleasure then nothing would happen. You'd have no reason to see it as pleasurable...
06-07-2014, 07:16 PM
(06-07-2014 06:48 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  

Nice try though...

Chatbox test #3 What is the capital of Germany?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-07-2014, 08:03 PM
(04-07-2014 09:39 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 06:37 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  I call poe, troll, or maybe even a bot.

He's most definitely a troll that's been rather sufficiently demonstrated in past threads. He lacks intellectual capabilities or the imagination, being ludicrously boring, to be a poe. A bot..maybe.

Personal I just stick with stupid and call it a day.Drinking Beverage

What is a poe`?

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
06-07-2014, 08:11 PM
(06-07-2014 08:03 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 09:39 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  He's most definitely a troll that's been rather sufficiently demonstrated in past threads. He lacks intellectual capabilities or the imagination, being ludicrously boring, to be a poe. A bot..maybe.

Personal I just stick with stupid and call it a day.Drinking Beverage

What is a poe`?

Poe's Law states that no form of satire on the internet can be so extreme as to not be confused with an actual stance someone will take without some acknowledgement from the poster in the form of a warning or winking smiley. In this instance it is referring to people pretending to espouse crazy positions to troll with.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-07-2014, 02:31 AM
I'd highly advise everyone to take the time to read the OPs previous threads before engaging with him. He is really not worth the time to engage with and his MO is rather well documented here, and on other forums as well.
Above all else it's important to keep in mind that the OP has admitted multiple times to having no interest in reality as it is. He's delusion in the highest degree and freely admits that he views his delusions as just as valid as reality.

Actually now that I think about it this is his third or forth thread saying the exact same thing, with the exact same "arguments", and the exact same fallacious word salad so would it not constitute spam at this point?
07-07-2014, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 03:18 AM by Mathilda.)
(06-07-2014 06:48 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  In that case, it would depend on the situation. If you are using pleasure to do insane things, then pleasure may or may not be the best thing here. But if you are in a situation that Robert Sapolsky described which is just simply enjoying life, then in that case, pleasure is the greatest thing.

Damn I hadn't been keeping up with this thread. I didn't realise that Mozart Link had reached this point.

An alternative approach is to try mixing in words that it is currently responding to such as pleasure and pain, reward and purpose along with other statements and questions that require intelligence to understand. The aim is to get Mozart Link to respond in a meaningless way as if I had made a genuine contribution to the thread. For example, going to the following place would be the greatest thing that you can achieve in life, not pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5mIm4bPBWE

So what do you say Mozart Link, is the link above proof enough for you?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
07-07-2014, 08:54 PM
(06-07-2014 08:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-07-2014 08:03 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  What is a poe`?

Poe's Law states that no form of satire on the internet can be so extreme as to not be confused with an actual stance someone will take without some acknowledgement from the poster in the form of a warning or winking smiley. In this instance it is referring to people pretending to espouse crazy positions to troll with.

I see.

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.