Science vs Philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2018, 04:46 PM
RE: Science vs Philosophy
(11-02-2018 10:51 PM)AtheistTech Wrote:  
(11-02-2018 09:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Threads with the same name merged. AtheistTech, making a new thread with an identical name to the discuss the same topic is unnecessary. Please refrain from doing that. Thanks.

I will refrain from doing that again, but my intention was to get feedback from pro science people. I wanted to see if they could express themselves without insulting anybody and what their thoughts were on the value of philosophy. It was not to start an identical thread, but to get a different point of view. I will do that with a different title next time, and if you don't mind, I can change the title on the one in the Science section so that I can see what they have to say. So far, I keep getting harassment because of my opinion. They are biased and I wanted a fresh new perspective. Can they be unmerged if that's a word? If so, let me know via email and I will change the title immediately after I see the email. Thanks for helping me and I'm sorry I caused you a headache.

A few things you should probably know:

* A lot of people here hang out in both the science and philosophy fora.

* It doesn't appear to me that you've been abused, thus far. For sure some barbs have been tossed, but if you feel the dialog in this thread has been especially insulting, perhaps your skin is a bit thin for this sort of on-line discussion.
This is not a criticism; merely an observation.

* In my time here I have discovered TTA to be populated with a plethora highly intelligent, broadly-educated, and widely-read people; in short, a group which one can expect to question pretty much anything, and with good reason. If you have an axe to grind, fine, but you're going to have to offer something substantive in the way of supporting arguments, and not just make proclamations.

Word to the wise. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
12-02-2018, 05:05 PM
(12-02-2018 12:06 AM)AtheistTech Wrote:  I will give you an example of a philosophical question that I think science will be able to answer in the future: Is it right to put to death a person who has taken the life of another?
First science will have to define "right".

Quote:Science - dozens and dozens of disciplines engaged in micro and macro examinations of the real world so that we can have some corroboration to our senses that certain things are true about the world.

Philosophy - the careful reading and writing that in rare cases derives new knowledge and in most cases just provides a different perspective which I must say is beneficial to scientist's imagination to ask a different question entirely or modify the current question.

Both of these definitions seem lacking in specificity, while at the same time not really capturing the general essence of either field.

For example, for philosophy I might have said: a discipline for analyzing the grounds of, and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs, values, and reality, proceeding from core systems of logic, epistemology, metaphysics, ethics, and aesthetics.

And for science: the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through application of the scientific method, including observation and experiment.

Quote:But how many philosophers share their perspectives with scientists?
There is an entire discipline, "the history and philosophy of science", which exists for that purpose.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
12-02-2018, 05:11 PM
(11-02-2018 05:59 PM)AtheistTech Wrote:  Isn't a PHD mainly for the sciences?

Ahem. Ph.D. = Doctor of philosophy.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
12-02-2018, 11:48 PM
(11-02-2018 05:59 PM)AtheistTech Wrote:  Just a question, is scholarship a form of study? Is it the same thing to try to obtain a PHD? Isn't a PHD mainly for the sciences?

PhD == Philosophiae Doctor == Doctor of Philosophy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-02-2018, 11:52 PM
(11-02-2018 11:22 PM)AtheistTech Wrote:  
(11-02-2018 11:11 PM)morondog Wrote:  You didn't answer any of my questions. I can also make vague statements and not back them up. Philosophy will become THE way we do science. <- See how easy and fucking pointless it is? Show me some concrete proposal for why the fuck science should replace philosophy?

Sorry, I must have missed them. I have seen these two and tomorrow I will go back through the posts and respond directly to them.

I have centuries of evidence of science having answers for almost every question put to it.

Scientific questions, not philosophical ones.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-02-2018, 05:22 PM
(12-02-2018 11:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-02-2018 11:22 PM)AtheistTech Wrote:  Sorry, I must have missed them. I have seen these two and tomorrow I will go back through the posts and respond directly to them.

I have centuries of evidence of science having answers for almost every question put to it.

Scientific questions, not philosophical ones.

You have the right to believe what you want, but your claim that all science questions are not philosophical ones may be true currently but not in the future. The future will exonerate me.

“Here, where a thousand
Captains swore grand conquest. . .Tall
Grass their monument.”
― Basho
13-02-2018, 11:40 PM
(13-02-2018 05:22 PM)AtheistTech Wrote:  
(12-02-2018 11:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Scientific questions, not philosophical ones.

You have the right to believe what you want, but your claim that all science questions are not philosophical ones may be true currently but not in the future. The future will exonerate me.

You're making them unsupported assertions again. Your faith is... weird. A world where more people were aware of science and how it works would be pretty great. But that's it. I don't see any value in dogmatically asserting that science is the best for any question, ever.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
16-02-2018, 08:06 PM
CDC Pleads with Congress

Here is an example of science wanting to answer a philosophical question...

“Here, where a thousand
Captains swore grand conquest. . .Tall
Grass their monument.”
― Basho
16-02-2018, 11:34 PM
(16-02-2018 08:06 PM)AtheistTech Wrote:  CDC Pleads with Congress

Here is an example of science wanting to answer a philosophical question...

That's a plea to be allowed to do research into gun violence. What philosophical question do you think they're answering? And that fact that people called scientists are doing it doesn't make it science. Otherwise every time a scientist goes to the car wash (s)he's getting his/her car scientifically washed?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Yesterday, 09:51 PM
(05-02-2018 11:50 PM)AtheistTech Wrote:  I am of the opinion that Philosophy is over rated. It is a study of human language and it's uses. Philosophy has much to say about everything under the Sun, but, not one bit of it is scientifically arrived at. It follows rules of logic, but does not experiment in the real world to get it's answers. Does anyone disagree? Does anyone else think that Philosophy's reputation is inflated?
I see where you're coming from. In the modern age, philosophy is mostly haughty nerds arguing semantics over shit that doesn't really matter. However many great contributions to society, ancient or otherwise have been made by self-proclaimed philosophers. I don't really think science is against philosophy or vice versa. While they're may be overlap, they tend to operate in two different playing fields, effectively.