Science20 nonsense

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Science20 nonsense
I read this article earlier that made me laugh. I thought I'd share it to brighten up everybody's day!

Half way in it claims " This shouldn’t come as a surprise, since we are born believers, not atheists, scientists say. " hahahahaha amazing.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
06-12-2014, 08:09 AM
RE: Science20 nonsense
There is just so much wrong in that article.

Quote:This shouldn’t come as a surprise, since we are born believers, not atheists, scientists say. Humans are pattern-seekers from birth, with a belief in karma, or cosmic justice, as our default setting. “A slew of cognitive traits predisposes us to faith,” writes Pascal Boyer in Nature, the science journal, adding that people “are only aware of some of their religious ideas”.

The traits we are born with aren't religious ideas (even if I accepted that everything listed is true), just something religions can leverage. They also wouldn't prove that any of the claims of a god are true. The author seems to me to be committing an appeal to nature fallacy throughout the article.

Quote:Scientists have discovered that “invisible friends” are not something reserved for children. We all have them, and encounter them often in the form of interior monologues. As we experience events, we mentally tell a non-present listener about it.

So the best argument for theism in the article seems to be that it is OK for adults to believe that god exists because children have imaginary friends and adults often imagine conversations with others. Hard to argue with that... mainly because it is just inane.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-12-2014, 08:40 AM
I just told myself my invisible friend how stupid this article is. No response yet.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
06-12-2014, 09:33 AM
The thought of being born atheist is what's nonsense. Thanks for sourcing my argument. I've got more. Why not source your argument.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2014, 10:00 AM
One thing I wonder is, if we're born believers, which god do we believe in at first?
[+] 2 users Like Bear100's post
06-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Re: Science20 nonsense
I always thought of the "god concept" as first being our parents, since we ask them everything. Eventually we learn they don't know it all, so we should start thinking. Instead, it gets substituted with a nonresponsive and unfalsifiable abstract deity, thus short circuiting the free thinking circle.

We're geared for patterns, but with no god(s). But religious fear gets in the way and many of us get stunted prematurely with what amounts to a supernatural cap on our senses and intelligence.

tl;dr We're born without gods but religious fear gets passed down, getting in our way to figure things out. Homo sapiens is smarter now, not wondering what thunder is.

I hope that makes sense. I'm on a migraine med right now, so I'm not sure that came through right.
06-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Bullshit, and I'm proof.

We didn't have God or religion in my house so I didn't become familiar with the idea until around the age of 6 or 7 when I went to a local baptist church within walking distance of my house. I distinctly recall not having a clue what they were talking about and what was going on until after multiple visits.

I think we all have a sense of wonder and 'awe' from the time we develop the ability to retain memory and higher level thinking processes. Unfortunately most children are indoctrinated, so that gets attributed to God.
06-12-2014, 11:17 AM
(06-12-2014 09:33 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The thought of being born atheist is what's nonsense. Thanks for sourcing my argument. I've got more. Why not source your argument.

We are born without belief, so ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-12-2014, 12:16 PM
(06-12-2014 09:33 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The thought of being born atheist is what's nonsense. Thanks for sourcing my argument. I've got more. Why not source your argument.

So you're saying that if an atheist couple left this planet, brought up their child away from any human civilization, the child would inevitably be theistic?

My tutor once argued this view quoting Karen Armstrong and Rudolph Otto using the example of the "Sky God". She said that if we were all born atheist, then where would the idea of god come from in the first place? "We must have some sort of inclination!"

From this, I would argue two points. If we were all born theists then there would be no reason to become atheists. Considering the first view was a kind of "Sky God" belief that did not contain any religious connotations.

Secondly, I say that the only reason people began to believe in gods or the numinous was in order to explain mystery. As Hitchens put it, it was our first attempt of philosophy as astrology was our first attempt at atronomy... alchemy of chemistry, etc.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
06-12-2014, 12:17 PM
I wonder if feral children believes in god .... I don't think so