Scientific American: Religious belief drops when analytical thinking rises

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2012, 05:14 PM
RE: Scientific American: Religious belief drops when analytical thinking rises
(05-05-2012 01:17 AM)Quidsane Wrote:  Don't let anyone (including me) discourage you from giving your personal opinion.
And don't give up and stop posting when someone offers up their personal opinion either.

Have a beer. Relax...

I believe too much analytical thinking can also drive a person batshit.
I think Christopher Hitchens was one of the best people I've ever seen at making arguments that went over peoples heads, or through one of their ears and out the other and then coming up with witty, discussion ending comebacks that still didn't get his point across but managed to give himself some amount of self satisfaction, even though his point, at least to the person he was debating, was never made. If you watch his Al Sharpton debate, yeah, it was hilarious, don't waste all your laughter right now, if you haven't already watched it, Christopher continuously has to reiterate the same point over and over again, while Al Sharpton continually managed to miss the point.

I wasn't planning on not posting or replying, I just never want to get into situations where I'm arguing for no reason, given that I'm not a master at condescending, elitist, self-satisfying, witty comebacks like Christopher Hitchens. If I were, I could just give only one reply back and be done, but that's not the case, and arguing in vain is not an activity I'd be interested in getting into frequently, or even on occasion.

I'm the type of person that doesn't form an opinion unless I know that I'm correct or at least convey that I don't have a definitive answer, if any at all (i.e. Wisdom by the true definition). Also, at any time, if I'm challenged, it deeply frustrates me. I'd love to live with a brain that was capable of letting go of problems, but when even the smallest remnant of a problem or challenge arises, my brain will attack the problem continually, eating away at my consciousness, until a solution is found and implemented.

I will, however, take your advice, not alcohol, but I'll cool out.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2012, 06:20 PM
RE: Scientific American: Religious belief drops when analytical thinking rises
I don't know how they think being religious is the easy option in terms of thinking..

I mean have you read the bible? I think you really gotta stretch the mind to believe in that sort of stuff. If anything it must be rather tiring as more and more stuff against religion come out and you have to further stretch your mind to fit with this bs that is religion.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply