Scientific Evidence for Santa Claus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2015, 02:20 PM
RE: Scientific Evidence for Santa Claus
(04-12-2015 10:07 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  My youngest daughter, aged 9, asked me last night if there was any scientific evidence for Santa. I asked her what she thought. She said she was pretty sure that there wasn't any.

Before I continue, let me point out that all my friends and family know me as the killjoy skeptic that always poo-poos all over the new fads and debunks the stupid hoaxes they repost on Facebook. However, my wife and one close friend are the only people that know that I am an atheist. My wife is not keen on my revealing that fact to my children just yet. So, I take every opportunity I can to give them the tools to figure it out for themselves without actually telling what I believe or not.

So, I asked her how we could know if Santa was real or not? I was impressed with her reasoning:
"If he was real we could see him. And, I have seen him before. Like at the mall. But, I am pretty sure that isn't really him. Except possibly the one at the big mall.... But, I have never actually seen a reindeer fly. WAIT! If Santa weren't real, how can the elves move every night?"

Me: "Have you seen them move?"

Her: "No. But they are in different places every morning."

Me: "Are there any other possible explanations for how they might be getting moved?"

Her: "Well, you and mommy could be moving them I guess. But, then that would mean... "

At this point, her precious little chin began to quiver and I felt really bad for her because she had just tugged on a little thread of santa's sweater and the whole damn thing unraveled. She was staring at santa's fat, hairy navel, figuratively speaking, and I am pretty sure it wasn't what she had expected.

Me: "Wait, wait, wait! Are you telling me you think it is possible that santa isn't real and I am moving the elves? If that is the case, then who is bringing the presents on Christmas night?"

Her: "You and mommy?"

Me: "Then who is eating the cookies that we leave out?"

Me: "Nope!"

Her: "Then who is eating them?"

Me: "Your sister."

Her: "WHAT? She knows too?!??!"

Me: "Yep, she caught me and your mommy wrapping easter baskets a couple of years ago."

Her: " .............. O.M.G. ........ then that means that .... and ... so you were putting money under my pillow when I lost teeth? That is pretty cool."

She paused thoughtfully.

Her: "So you brought yourself an XBox last Christmas!?!? How cool is that!"

Another pause.

Her: "Will santa still come this year even though I know he isn't real?"

Me: "Of course he is coming. He is bringing daddy a big new 55" ultra-HD curved TV for the living room."

She smiled and we sat in silence for a few minutes. Then she dropped the big bomb.

"Daddy? Do we have any evidence that Jesus was born on December 25th?"

Me: "What do you think?"

Clap Bowing

Brilliant

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
04-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Scientific Evidence for Santa Claus
I think GWG is going to have a run for his money...
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
04-12-2015, 02:31 PM
(04-12-2015 02:27 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I think GWG is going to have a run for his money...

I love it! Socratic method is extremely effective for creating critical thinking. Yes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
04-12-2015, 03:02 PM
(^_^)
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
04-12-2015, 06:49 PM
You mean their really isn't a Santa Clause? Mom!!!!!!

Sadcryface2

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
[+] 1 user Likes OhDannyBoy's post
06-12-2015, 08:48 AM
(04-12-2015 10:28 AM)Loom Wrote:  Pff I realized Santa wasn't real when I was 8...not that I walked in on my parents setting up the presents or anything.

Good on your daughter for being such a critical thinker.

That's how I found out that The Stork isn't real. Laugh out load

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
06-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Cool story!

Like Fireball said about the handwriting (my mother's was very distinctive), I also noticed that the elves wrapped the gifts in the same paper as mom had purchased.

But I used that knowledge to be sneakier with my kids. I printed tags and hid wrapping paper when I bought it. I am sure the oldest one had it figured out though, long before she fessed up. Tongue

The Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny thing don't seem to last as long as the Santa thing - I think it's because there's a bigger payoff in believeing in Santa. Big Grin

edit - if your nine year old and Robbiepants' little girl Alice get together - they will rule the world.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-12-2015, 08:11 PM
The myth of Santa Claus may seem innocent and the intention behind telling it is easy to rationalize, but a lie told with the best intentions is still a lie. I have never allowed my children to be told any of these things because I know how I felt when I discovered the truth of them myself. I refuse to be pressured by well meaning relatives and friends into lending credence to practices that I do not agree with. When questioned by my children about these things, I defer to the often uncomfortable but preferable truth as I understand it. In doing so, I also make sure that I tell them that my opinions are my own and are not above question. Children are not mature enough to make decisions about such abstract concepts as divinity and mythical stories. As much as we as adults might prefer to rationalize the seemingly innocent story of Santa Claus, I don't see any wisdom in doing so. Personally, the concept of Santa Claus never made any sense to me, it just didn't seem possible. When I finally understood the truth of it, I was very resentful of being misled by those who told me these things. My son never believed in Santa, my nine year old daughter ceased to believe when she was seven. As for believing in God, my son is an atheist, he's 25. My daughter lends very little truth to it herself, and she's nine. I've always been honest with them about my beliefs, but I have and continue to encourage them to seek the truth as they understand it themselves. It's never been an easy subject to discuss with them, but I respect them and love them too much to just go with the status quo.
[+] 2 users Like t.frank.carter's post
06-12-2015, 08:13 PM
I was never taught about the stork. My mom was just like "Yeah, you came out of my vagina. You'll learn more about that when you're older", and i was just like "Ok, cool Cool"

I don't think she said anything about the sex part of it, though. I probably just assumed that my mom and dad prayed to God for a baby. lol

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
06-12-2015, 08:47 PM
(04-12-2015 10:07 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  My youngest daughter, aged 9, asked me last night if there was any scientific evidence for Santa. I asked her what she thought. She said she was pretty sure that there wasn't any.

Before I continue, let me point out that all my friends and family know me as the killjoy skeptic that always poo-poos all over the new fads and debunks the stupid hoaxes they repost on Facebook. However, my wife and one close friend are the only people that know that I am an atheist. My wife is not keen on my revealing that fact to my children just yet. So, I take every opportunity I can to give them the tools to figure it out for themselves without actually telling what I believe or not.

So, I asked her how we could know if Santa was real or not? I was impressed with her reasoning:
"If he was real we could see him. And, I have seen him before. Like at the mall. But, I am pretty sure that isn't really him. Except possibly the one at the big mall.... But, I have never actually seen a reindeer fly. WAIT! If Santa weren't real, how can the elves move every night?"

Me: "Have you seen them move?"

Her: "No. But they are in different places every morning."

Me: "Are there any other possible explanations for how they might be getting moved?"

Her: "Well, you and mommy could be moving them I guess. But, then that would mean... "

At this point, her precious little chin began to quiver and I felt really bad for her because she had just tugged on a little thread of santa's sweater and the whole damn thing unraveled. She was staring at santa's fat, hairy navel, figuratively speaking, and I am pretty sure it wasn't what she had expected.

Me: "Wait, wait, wait! Are you telling me you think it is possible that santa isn't real and I am moving the elves? If that is the case, then who is bringing the presents on Christmas night?"

Me: "Then who is eating the cookies that we leave out?"

Me: "Nope!"

Her: "Then who is eating them?"

Me: "Your sister."

Her: "WHAT? She knows too?!??!"

Me: "Yep, she caught me and your mommy wrapping easter baskets a couple of years ago."

Her: " .............. O.M.G. ........ then that means that .... and ... so you were putting money under my pillow when I lost teeth? That is pretty cool."

She paused thoughtfully.

Her: "So you brought yourself an XBox last Christmas!?!? How cool is that!"

Another pause.

Her: "Will santa still come this year even though I know he isn't real?"

Me: "Of course he is coming. He is bringing daddy a big new 55" ultra-HD curved TV for the living room."

She smiled and we sat in silence for a few minutes. Then she dropped the big bomb.

"Daddy? Do we have any evidence that Jesus was born on December 25th?"

Me: "What do you think?"

WHAAAAT?>!!!

[Image: Pinkie_Pie_and_Rarity_shocked_S2E19.png]

A 55 HD Curved T.V?!

But those are like 8k !!!!!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ