Scientific Journals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Scientific Journals
Hey guys!

I was interested in subscribing to a scientific journal when I get back to America as a kind of intellectual reading for some stimulus while I'm inevitably taken to church every week. So I looked into Nature (since that was the only one I knew of) and... it's a little more expensive than I thought it would be, to say the least. Tongue

It's not too bad (especially taking into account that it's a weekly publication), but I'm not sure I'll have that kind of money lying around. Does anyone know of a cheaper journal I might be able to subscribe to that's still got some good stuff?

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2010, 07:05 AM

RE: Scientific Journals
OK well the only other BIG journal would be Science and you would be saving about $50 a year with that one, but its still a chunck of change. In reality few people subscibe to these journals or any journals for that matter. They make their money through institutional subscriptions and reprint fees. Additionally all their "journalists" are unpaid, and the articles are peer reviewed. I would say for journal reading find yourself a good library, or a nice Barnes and Noble that doesn't mind you taking a magazine in the cafe for an hour or two while having a Latte, and then returning it to the shelf.

As for any Scientific Magazine save your money they all have an agenda, and are sensationalistic. Although you might want to take a look at Science News which is biweekly and $49.95 yearly. It's a very nice publication that packs a wide variety of info, but in less detail than a true journal which in many cases is a blessing!
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2010, 11:49 PM
(01-12-2010 06:34 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  while I'm inevitably taken to church every week.

At least in the game of Monopoly you can aquire a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card.
Find all posts by this user
02-12-2010, 12:52 AM
(01-12-2010 07:05 AM)Dregs Wrote:  OK well the only other BIG journal would be Science and you would be saving about $50 a year with that one, but its still a chunck of change. In reality few people subscibe to these journals or any journals for that matter. They make their money through institutional subscriptions and reprint fees. Additionally all their "journalists" are unpaid, and the articles are peer reviewed. I would say for journal reading find yourself a good library, or a nice Barnes and Noble that doesn't mind you taking a magazine in the cafe for an hour or two while having a Latte, and then returning it to the shelf.

As for any Scientific Magazine save your money they all have an agenda, and are sensationalistic. Although you might want to take a look at Science News which is biweekly and $49.95 yearly. It's a very nice publication that packs a wide variety of info, but in less detail than a true journal which in many cases is a blessing!

Awesome! I'll look into Science News, then, and see if my uni's library happens to have a subscription to a true journal (though it's a Southern Baptist school, so it might be a stretch).

(01-12-2010 11:49 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(01-12-2010 06:34 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  while I'm inevitably taken to church every week.

At least in the game of Monopoly you can aquire a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card.

LOL! It'll be worth it, though, for the time afterwards I'll get to spend with my family at lunch. Enlightened reading will just help things along. Tongue

On that note, I'm planning on getting a Kindle over the holidays and was wondering if there were any publications or suchlike that could be sent directly to Kindle. Does anyone know of anything like this?

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user