Scientific Paradigms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2012, 10:10 AM
RE: Scientific Paradigms
(24-04-2012 03:27 PM)nach_in Wrote:  the idea that people thought the earth was flat in columbus times is more of a myth than a fact, yes of course there were those who think it was, but I think sailors could have been the more educated people to understand the shape of the earth as they could actually see it (the horizon ans stuff) and as they travelled great distances and they observed things kept falling to the ground around the world they could easily observe that the world was a sphere.
I do not think that would be sufficient evidence to convince me that the world was not flat. The navigational tools probably were not adequate to measure the distance correctly, because of the differences of geometry.
Quote: The problem convincing people back then wasn't the shape of the earth,
it was money, the actual ability to cross the ocean, and the fear of
monster and unknown lands. The money problem was solved by the spanish
crown, the ability to cross the ocean was solved by new ships (the
caravels) and the fear of monsters was overcome by the promise of riches
after the journey
I think it is a complex combination of converging paradigms and global economics.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
29-04-2012, 05:00 PM
(29-04-2012 10:10 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 03:27 PM)nach_in Wrote:  the idea that people thought the earth was flat in columbus times is more of a myth than a fact, yes of course there were those who think it was, but I think sailors could have been the more educated people to understand the shape of the earth as they could actually see it (the horizon ans stuff) and as they travelled great distances and they observed things kept falling to the ground around the world they could easily observe that the world was a sphere.
I do not think that would be sufficient evidence to convince me that the world was not flat. The navigational tools probably were not adequate to measure the distance correctly, because of the differences of geometry.
after the journey
I think it is a complex combination of converging paradigms and global economics.
check this out, it explains what I was trying to say far better and with references! Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
01-05-2012, 07:41 PM
(29-04-2012 10:10 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
after the journey

I'm along for the ride, brother. ... At least until I say fuck this ride and jump overboard.

Breathing - it's more art than science.