Poll: Are you a scientific or mathematic individual?
I am
I am not
[Show Results]

Scientific Pursuits

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Scientific Pursuits
I'm pretty new, and I was just curious how many people here are pursuing a career or are already in a career that is heavily science or mathematically oriented?

I am studying engineering at Colorado School of Mines, and I love science and math. I think it opens a door to understand what is the cause of all the beautiful things and anomalies that happen here in this universe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 05:53 PM
RE: Scientific Pursuits
(10-12-2012 05:43 PM)conkles Wrote:  I'm pretty new, and I was just curious how many people here are pursuing a career or are already in a career that is heavily science or mathematically oriented?

I am studying engineering at Colorado School of Mines, and I love science and math. I think it opens a door to understand what is the cause of all the beautiful things and anomalies that happen here in this universe.
Welcome to the forum.

I have been heavy into philosophy for many years and unfortunately weak in maths/science.
I did study logic which helps a bit............. Cool
10-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Mr. Woof, you are doing it right. The maths are brain melting. Philosophy, on the other hand, is like a nice brain massage.
10-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I have a bachelor's degree in Mathematics and a master's in Computer Science.

My undergrad minor was Philosophy.

I work in the high-tech industry - software and systems.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2012, 06:07 PM
I am inept when it comes to mathematics. The blame largely falls onto myself, but I do recognize that my schooling never emphasized or taught the hard sciences well. I had Catholic schooling, and had more religion classes than classes that taught to enjoy and make it easier to learn and apply mathematics.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
10-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I never got the hang of maths as a kid, round 60 years ago? Do you think its too late now? Smartass Laughat
10-12-2012, 07:43 PM
(10-12-2012 05:59 PM)conkles Wrote:  Mr. Woof, you are doing it right. The maths are brain melting. Philosophy, on the other hand, is like a nice brain massage.
Heard of a guy, when doing my undergrad degree, who was a logician; he suffered regular (alleged) minor brain haemhorages, so I get your point Big Grin
12-12-2012, 12:09 AM
(10-12-2012 07:38 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I never got the hang of maths as a kid, round 60 years ago? Do you think its too late now? Smartass Laughat
If there is motivation it is never too late, really. Maths just slowly blow up your brains.
12-12-2012, 03:04 AM
I love science and math, for the things that blow your mind every now and then. Understanding a phenomena makes me better appreciate it Smile

[Image: hD198078B]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 3 users Like robotworld's post
12-12-2012, 06:00 PM
(12-12-2012 03:04 AM)robotworld Wrote:  I love science and math, for the things that blow your mind every now and then. Understanding a phenomena makes me better appreciate it Smile

[Image: hD198078B]
Neil deGrasse Tyson is awesome...I want to see him in person one day, just to say I have met one of the most profound human beings who has ever lived.