Woo
Not Woo
[Show Results]

Scientific Woo-@#$%

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
15-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Scientific Woo-@#$%
Here's an interesting article; a likely candidate for woo scrutiny, that i came across today: the psychogenic condition called wind turbine syndrome -- the wide-spread paranoia that wind turbines are responsible for causing certain maladies and illnesses in communities closely located to wind farms. My personal opinion is that is complete and total WOO!

Here's the New Scientist article link:

The sickening truth about wind farm syndrome

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21...drome.html

Nosce Te Ipsum - Know Thyself
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2012, 08:30 AM
RE: Scientific Woo-@#$%
Hi

I forgot to add, please feel free to share similar stories that you might have found on the web.

15-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Disturbing Chinese woo story:

China’s New Lucrative Business: Dead Babies Turn into Stamina Booster Pills

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/in...opic=28861
http://www.ibtimes.com/chinas-new-lucrat...lls-838565

[+] 1 user Likes das@nam's post
15-10-2012, 09:02 AM
As skeptics of the superstitious ignorance that exists in our world, is it our job to expose the craziness? Down in Africa, superstition is rife. Science is nowhere to seen and people would rather jump to superstitious reasoning than rely on solid evidence based scientific knowledge to explain things that are "different". Take the mentally insane. The following article/movie describes the gruesome treatment of the mentally handicapped in Ghana. These victims are sent to "so calle" prayer camps to have the 'demon within" exorcised, and to become "normal" again. Laughable!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19836287

i hope to strike a balance between the dark woo and the lighter woo so i ask your forgiveness if some of these stories are a little on the morbid side.

15-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:There are several reasons to suspect that the unrecognised entity of wind turbine syndrome is psychogenic: a "communicated" disease spread by anti-wind interest groups, sometimes with connections to fossil fuel interests. People can worry themselves sick.

Pretty much says it all right there... fossil fuel interests.

That's also what killed GM's electric car in the early 1990s. If Big Oil doesn't have a piece of the pie... they're not gonna let anyone have even a taste of it.

Woo-shit is the bane of Scientific progress and it doesn't have to be as long as people are rationally educated. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-10-2012, 01:03 PM
A heavy dose of critical thinking should do the trick. People love warping facts to suit their own agendas. Adding on to the fact quite a number of people like "taking the easy way out", it is no surprise that scientific woo is very prevalent. I would say consider the viewpoints of both parties, but if one of the parties is batshit insane... that's another story.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
17-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I used to fish offshore quite often and I used to think that "Sea Sickness" was woo - so I had little sympathy when someone on one of our trips was afflicted. Later, a good friend demonstrated to me that Sea Sickness was not born of anyone's imagination when we had two guests (a pilot and Naval officer) get sick on our little boat. He not only told me why it happened, but he showed me how to stop it.

Basically, we kept the boat moving forward in rough seas and put the two Sea Sick Passengers in the front (where the wave-battering is the roughest). It worked! It seems that the two guests git sick when the motion was rythmic.

Anyways, this was further demonstrated when I stopped the boat in order to have one of those guests move to the rear of the boat to fight a hooked fish. He got sicker than hell within just a few minutes, but despite his dry-heaving he landed that fish! I was pretty muc convinced and have used the same technique ever since with astounding results.

Oh yeah...and taking some sea-sickness pills before the trip helps!

So...is getting sick from rythimic infrasonic sound a "Woo"? I don't know. And neither does anyone else at this point. I'd like to see some real scientific experiments.
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
17-10-2012, 11:53 PM
(17-10-2012 04:30 PM)Julius Wrote:  So...is getting sick from rythimic infrasonic sound a "Woo"? I don't know. And neither does anyone else at this point. I'd like to see some real scientific experiments.

Interesting case. I suppose you have a point. It would be interesting to see experimental studies in this regard. However, I do feel that the patchy representation of positive cases is a bit blatant in this particular case. But then as proponents of science we should keep an open scientific perspective at all times. It wouldn't be the first time for something "scientific" considered as woo to be subsequently proven as actual fact.

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Lightbulb Scientific Videos, Please assist LPMalakye 3 82 19-07-2014 08:03 PM
Last Post: evenheathen
  The Scientific Method G4143 8 231 26-01-2014 10:16 AM
Last Post: Chas
  A Scientific Response to Creationist on:Kinds Metazoa Zeke 10 571 21-01-2014 09:05 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Why is a scientific theory called a theory? Erikjust 14 437 07-01-2014 11:58 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee
  From where are scientific hypothesis made? I and I 114 2,515 27-09-2013 11:55 AM
Last Post: cjlr
  Is neo-darwinism a scientific theory? tiagorod84 181 5,429 29-08-2013 10:35 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Landing of The Mars Curiosity Rover My Engineering and Scientific Highlight for 2012 Endurance Swimmer 1 344 11-04-2013 06:39 PM
Last Post: F.A.C.T.