Scientist: Evolution debate will soon be history

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Scientist: Evolution debate will soon be history
http://news.yahoo.com/scientist-evolutio...52505.html
What do you think. Will the debate of evolution be history in 15-30 years?

"He who wishes to comprehend God with his mind becomes an atheist."
- Count Nikolaus Von Zinzendorf
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2012, 07:39 AM
RE: Scientist: Evolution debate will soon be history
Nice idea, but it won't happen. Too many people will cling on to any discrepancy no matter how small and use that as a reason to stick to their belief that evolutions a lie. The only difference is that the pro evolution side will have better evidence and better techniques to show that they their evidence is correct.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
27-05-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm doubtful. Big changes in popular thought come from kids -- whatever they think and believe will be the accepted beliefs in the next 15-30 years. Because kids are pro-marijuana and pro-gay, these issues will become non-issues in the next few years. Racism is dying out with the older generations... BUT evolution is not. Kids are still being raised (and they believe) that evolution is a lie. I can't remember where I heard it... I think it was from Dawkins in "Enemies of Reason"... the current figure is 15% of school children accepting that evolution is factual. That means that in 20 years the general population will probably include that same percentage. I could be wrong and I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-05-2012, 10:55 AM
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...ution.html

[Image: 060810-evolution_170.jpg]

It's not a "debate" except in educationally disadvantaged countries, such as the United States.

http://news.msu.edu/story/1087/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-05-2012, 11:48 PM
I do not want to live in this country anymore. I am moving to Switzerland(or Iceland).

Under Repair.
27-05-2012, 11:59 PM
The USA is on a downslideand in extreme danger of loosing its place as a 1st world country.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Hahahhahahaha, even Croatia has way better results than USA does. Hahahahahahahahahaha...

Croatia is full of stupid illiterate people who know only of Church.

Suck it America!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
28-05-2012, 07:18 AM
The future should see a spike in people who believe in theistic evolution and atheists. The debate will shift to abiogenesis sooner or later as evolution is accepted as a fact more widely Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
28-05-2012, 10:07 AM
(28-05-2012 07:18 AM)robotworld Wrote:  The future should see a spike in people who believe in theistic evolution and atheists. The debate will shift to abiogenesis sooner or later as evolution is accepted as a fact more widely Smile

I agree. While I'm not so shure about how many people believe in 30 years, eventually the only argument theists will have is god guided evolution, which we can see theists useing today. Logic, free thought, and facts have religion cornered.

"He who wishes to comprehend God with his mind becomes an atheist."
- Count Nikolaus Von Zinzendorf
28-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Key word is "debate". I don't even think it's a debate right now, but like the guy said "discoveries will have accelerated to the point that 'even the skeptics can accept it'".

At that point I don't think it would be fair to call it a debate. We will just have some people who lack the knowledge and/or deny the truth. I don't see people giving good arguments in opposition, I just see people unwilling to accept reality or even take evidence. That's not a debate, in my opinion.

Quote: It's not a "debate" except in educationally disadvantaged countries, such as the United States.

At my old job, my friend and I would turn on conservative Christian radio and listen to them go on and on about Creationism, the Bible, God/Jesus, etc, and they would deny Evolution all day, everyday.

They would get to the point where they were explaining evolutionarily beneficial traits of certain animals as being given directly from God. No joke, not even accepting that they evolved at all, with or without God's guidance, just straight God made them like that. It was Young Earth Creationism, on the radio. You would never think that freedom of speech could be that much of a bitch.

They would even take it to the point where they were degrading evolutionists by calling them immoral, disgraceful to God, liars, etc. They would also call in so called experts who claimed to be real scientists and would give false evidence in order to show evolution was false and couldn't be possible, and they would describe how Creationism best explains nature and the Universe.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell