Scientists Unveil the Secret of a Reaction for Prebiotic Synthesis of Organic Matter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Scientists Unveil the Secret of a Reaction for Prebiotic Synthesis of Organic Matter
Excited, but Cold: Scientists Unveil the Secret of a Reaction for Prebiotic Synthesis of Organic Matter (using computational-chemistry)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...104213.htm

Since the 1960's it has been well known that when concentrated hydrogen cyanide (HCN) is irradiated by UV light, it forms an imidazole intermediate that is a key substance for synthesis of nucleobases and nucleotides in abiotic environment. The way how UV radiation acts in this reaction to produce complex organic matter was, however, never clarified. Dr. Mario Barbatti and his colleagues in Germany, India and Czech Republic have now shown how this process occurs via computer simulations.

Can anyone out there expalin in layman's terms what an intermediary is in this context?

I didn't even know there was such a thing as computational-chemistry. What will these scientists think of next? Ohmy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-06-2013, 08:00 PM
I think they already had a plausible pathway.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the vids Bucky, I'll view them as soon as possible.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce