Scientists discover the virus which causes Type 1 Diabetes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Scientists discover the virus which causes Type 1 Diabetes
Plus a vaccine may be on the way soon.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/diabetes-vac...-5-strains

A group of Finnish doctors claim to have pinpointed the exact virus that causes type 1 diabetes, implicating five different strains of an enterovirus, specifically, that attack a person’s pancreas and shut down insulin-producing cells, inducing diabetes.

After looking at more than 100 strains, scientists working out of Tampere University say they have sufficient information to start producing a workable vaccine, although funding currently stands as the team’s greatest hurdle.

”We have identified one virus type that carries the biggest risk,” said Professor Heikki Hyöty. "A vaccine could also protect against its close relatives, to give the best possible effect.”

Professor Hyöty has been working with University colleagues for over a decade to establish the root causes of type 1 diabetes. As it only accounts for five percent of cases, the disease’s variant affects 17 million people around the world, occurring most often during childhood and adolescence. Type 1 differs from type 2 diabetes in that a person with type 1 diabetes doesn’t produce insulin at all, while a person with type 2 doesn’t respond properly to insulin, and/or not insulin gets produced.

A prototype diabetes vaccine has already been produced and has demonstrated success in mice thus far, Hyöty says. The next step must involve human trials. However, the team estimates that running the necessary clinical trials will cost upwards of €700 million ($957 million), a cost the University says that, even with U.S. and European funding, it cannot cover.

Follow Us ”Money is the biggest obstacle to testing in humans at the moment,” said Hyöty. ”The matter is of international interest, and people are interested in us. I’m optimistic that the funding will come.”

In June, a vaccine surfaced that experts believed could slow or stop the disease’s progression in younger patients. Utilizing something of a backwards treatment method, the “reverse vaccine” demonstrated in early tests an ability to forestall some of the disease’s immune system shutdowns. Cells that harm the pancreas run rampant in the disease’s presence, and the new vaccine showed effectiveness at controlling those cells.

According to Reuters, California-based biotech Tolerion has purchased a license to the vaccine and is in the process of designing a longer study, involving as many as 200 patients for tests of efficacy.

Type 1 begins when a person’s immune system becomes hyperactive and begins attacking the pancreas’ beta cells. Sugar floods the bloodstream and impairs function in blood vessels and damages nerves and major organs, such as the kidney and heart. No cure yet exists for either type 1 or type 2 diabetes.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
24-10-2013, 10:10 PM
RE: Scientists discover the virus which causes Type 1 Diabetes
(23-10-2013 07:47 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Plus a vaccine may be on the way soon.

A group of Finnish doctors claim to have pinpointed the exact virus that causes type 1 diabetes, implicating five different strains of an enterovirus, specifically, that attack a person’s pancreas and shut down insulin-producing cells, inducing diabetes.

After looking at more than 100 strains, scientists working out of Tampere University say they have sufficient information to start producing a workable vaccine, although funding currently stands as the team’s greatest hurdle.

”We have identified one virus type that carries the biggest risk,” said Professor Heikki Hyöty. "A vaccine could also protect against its close relatives, to give the best possible effect.”

Professor Hyöty has been working with University colleagues for over a decade to establish the root causes of type 1 diabetes. As it only accounts for five percent of cases, the disease’s variant affects 17 million people around the world, occurring most often during childhood and adolescence. Type 1 differs from type 2 diabetes in that a person with type 1 diabetes doesn’t produce insulin at all, while a person with type 2 doesn’t respond properly to insulin, and/or not insulin gets produced.

A prototype diabetes vaccine has already been produced and has demonstrated success in mice thus far, Hyöty says. The next step must involve human trials. However, the team estimates that running the necessary clinical trials will cost upwards of €700 million ($957 million), a cost the University says that, even with U.S. and European funding, it cannot cover.

Follow Us ”Money is the biggest obstacle to testing in humans at the moment,” said Hyöty. ”The matter is of international interest, and people are interested in us. I’m optimistic that the funding will come.”

In June, a vaccine surfaced that experts believed could slow or stop the disease’s progression in younger patients. Utilizing something of a backwards treatment method, the “reverse vaccine” demonstrated in early tests an ability to forestall some of the disease’s immune system shutdowns. Cells that harm the pancreas run rampant in the disease’s presence, and the new vaccine showed effectiveness at controlling those cells.

According to Reuters, California-based biotech Tolerion has purchased a license to the vaccine and is in the process of designing a longer study, involving as many as 200 patients for tests of efficacy.

Type 1 begins when a person’s immune system becomes hyperactive and begins attacking the pancreas’ beta cells. Sugar floods the bloodstream and impairs function in blood vessels and damages nerves and major organs, such as the kidney and heart. No cure yet exists for either type 1 or type 2 diabetes.

BULLSHIT

Most of our modern diseases like Diabetes is directly related to the shit we call food these days.

We live in a consumerist culture so the problem can never be the consumption of too much, it just can't be related to the fact that we eat too much of bullshit food. Most common illnesses can be prevented by not eating shit food, but hey, there is no profit to just saying "hey people buy less and eat less shit food".
24-10-2013, 10:39 PM
(24-10-2013 10:10 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 07:47 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Plus a vaccine may be on the way soon.

BULLSHIT

Most of our modern diseases like Diabetes is directly related to the shit we call food these days.

We live in a consumerist culture so the problem can never be the consumption of too much, it just can't be related to the fact that we eat too much of bullshit food. Most common illnesses can be prevented by not eating shit food, but hey, there is no profit to just saying "hey people buy less and eat less shit food".

Did you read the article? The article even did you the favor of explaining the meaning of Type 1 Diabetes--sometimes referred to as juvenile diabetes, it's the form of diabetes that has absolutely nothing to do with diet.

Not that you will read it, or comprehend it if you do, but here is the difference between the two forms of diabetes:
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Type_1_...2_Diabetes
[+] 5 users Like BryanS's post
24-10-2013, 10:51 PM
The ancient Egyptians and Greeks noted diabetes as early as 1500 BCE - and they knew it was a death sentence. Indian physicians around the same time identified the disease and classified it as madhumeha or honey urine noting that the urine would attract ants. The term "diabetes" or "to pass through" was first used in 230 BCE by the Greek Appollonius Of Memphis. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes were identified as separate conditions for the first time by the Indian physicians Sushruta and Charaka in 400-500 CE with type 1 associated with youth and type 2 with being overweight. Greek physician Aretaeus attempted to treat it but could not give a good prognosis; he commented that "life (with diabetes) is short, disgusting and painful."

I don't know... Egyptians and Greeks ate pretty well. Still do, in fact. But hey, bon appétit there I&I. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
24-10-2013, 11:18 PM
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/803649

Type 1 Diabetes is not caused by a virus.

Next
24-10-2013, 11:25 PM
(24-10-2013 11:18 PM)I and I Wrote:  http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/803649

Next

You're an idiot.
I hope you get type 1 diabetes as some sort of sick ironic joke on you.

@carlo, fantastic.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
24-10-2013, 11:27 PM
(24-10-2013 11:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

Next

You're an idiot.

@carlo, fantastic.

I hope you get diabetes because........you posted a scientific study that showed type 1 diabetes isn't caused by a virus. :roll eyes: How old are you?
24-10-2013, 11:28 PM
(24-10-2013 11:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

Next

You're an idiot.

@carlo, fantastic.

LOL!

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
25-10-2013, 05:56 AM
UPDATE! After a little research, I was able to find I and I's high school yearbook picture!

[Image: man-head-up-butt.jpg]

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 8 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
25-10-2013, 08:53 AM

That would be wonderful. I knew a couple kids that had it when I was little and it certainly didn't allow them to just be kids.

Add that to the complications that happen later in life. Thanks for posting the link.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon