Scientists discover the virus which causes Type 1 Diabetes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2013, 10:54 AM
RE: Scientists discover the virus which causes Type 1 Diabetes
In the article it says that only 7% of type 1 diabetes is caused by the virus. And only 10% of all diabetes cases are type 1. The mentioned research is only focusing on curing 0.7% of diabetes patients, therefore it is neither significant nor newsworthy.

In most cases, diabetes is related to genetic defects or diet.

I really recommend that you don't believe reports on new scientific findings coming from common journalists. They often tend to exaggerate enormously.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2013, 10:57 AM
(26-10-2013 10:54 AM)Youkay Wrote:  In the article it says that only 7% of type 1 diabetes is caused by the virus. And only 10% of all diabetes cases are type 1. The mentioned research is only focusing on curing 0.7% of diabetes patients, therefore it is neither significant nor newsworthy.

I really recommend that you don't believe reports on new scientific findings coming from common journalists. They often tend to exaggerate enormously.

How is 10% of the people affected having a better quality of life NOT noteworthy or newsworthy? Hell, even if something can help 1% of people, it's awesome. Consider just how many people are affected by it worldwide, a 1-7% figure on such a number is hardly negligible if a person can live a better life. Something doesn't need to cure or prevent 100% of occurrences to help people.

Type 2 is usually able to be fixed because you can adjust your diet and lifestyle accordingly in order to correct it. Type 1 is considered the, "You're stuck with it, sucks to be you." type.

"Hey doc, your new discovery is only going to help 3-5 million people. At worst, hundreds of thousands. Sorry."
[Image: Okay_guy.jpg]

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
26-10-2013, 11:01 AM
(26-10-2013 10:57 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 10:54 AM)Youkay Wrote:  In the article it says that only 7% of type 1 diabetes is caused by the virus. And only 10% of all diabetes cases are type 1. The mentioned research is only focusing on curing 0.7% of diabetes patients, therefore it is neither significant nor newsworthy.

How is 10% of the people affected having a better quality of life NOT noteworthy or newsworthy? Hell, even if something can help 1% of people, it's awesome. Consider just how many people are affected by it worldwide, a 1-7% figure on such a number is hardly negligible if a person can live a better life. Something doesn't need to cure or prevent 100% of occurrences to help people.

Type 2 is usually able to be fixed because you can adjust your diet and lifestyle accordingly in order to correct it. Type 1 is considered the, "You're stuck with it, sucks to be you." type.

I am afraid you didn't really pay attention. Type I diabetes is only 10% of all diabetes cases, and the viral cause for type I diabetes only contributes to 7% of that. That makes it 0.7 % of all diabetes cases in total. It is still research, that needs to be done, but compared to other research it is not very significant.

Also, type 2 diabetes often has genetic causes, thus it can't be treated. Instead, insulin is injected intravenously in order to compensate for impaired insulin production or reduced insulin sensitivity.

I hope I could clarify.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
26-10-2013, 11:05 AM
No, I understand the math. But be it tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands, it's an improved quality of life for someone. I think that's worth the research. Not to mention, sometimes one research activity leads to another and who knows where that may take it? It's admirable I think, to do such things to improve the quality of life for others. Living a healthy life is far from overrated.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
26-10-2013, 11:23 AM
(26-10-2013 11:05 AM)Logisch Wrote:  No, I understand the math. But be it tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands, it's an improved quality of life for someone. I think that's worth the research. Not to mention, sometimes one research activity leads to another and who knows where that may take it? It's admirable I think, to do such things to improve the quality of life for others. Living a healthy life is far from overrated.

I said:

Quote:It is research, that needs to be done, but compared to other research it is not very significant.

I meant that this needs to be investigated as well, and cure is important, be it only for 0.7 % of patients of a certain type of disease.

From that, I hope you can see that I agree with you that it is a good thing.

I only think that it doesn't deserve so much excitement compared to other science going on. I am in this particular field of science, where we seek to understand and manipulate mechanisms which lead to disease. And according to the standards in this field, this research is relevant but not very significant.

26-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Ok guy.
Thumbsup

26-10-2013, 11:32 AM
(26-10-2013 11:01 AM)Youkay Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 10:57 AM)Logisch Wrote:  How is 10% of the people affected having a better quality of life NOT noteworthy or newsworthy? Hell, even if something can help 1% of people, it's awesome. Consider just how many people are affected by it worldwide, a 1-7% figure on such a number is hardly negligible if a person can live a better life. Something doesn't need to cure or prevent 100% of occurrences to help people.

I am afraid you didn't really pay attention. Type I diabetes is only 10% of all diabetes cases, and the viral cause for type I diabetes only contributes to 7% of that. That makes it 0.7 % of all diabetes cases in total. It is still research, that needs to be done, but compared to other research it is not very significant.

Also, type 2 diabetes often has genetic causes, thus it can't be treated. Instead, insulin is injected intravenously in order to compensate for impaired insulin production or reduced insulin sensitivity.

I hope I could clarify.

I thought insulin was injected subcutaneously.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-10-2013, 01:09 PM
I think the significance of this finding is the discovery of the enterovirus which causes this disease. An enterovirus is any of a group of RNA viruses that typically occur in the gastrointestinal tract, sometimes spreading to the central nervous system or other parts of the body.

Enteroviruses affect millions of people worldwide each year and are often found in the respiratory secretions and stool of an infected person. The only way to eradicate it is to reduce spread through vaccination. Historically, polio was the most significant disease caused by an enterovirus.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Here is the original paper:
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/con...9.abstract

This paper has a very very low impact factor. And if you read through the abstract alone, you will find them saying that they didn't even find anything new but only confirmed previous findings.

Quote: These results support previous observations suggesting that the group B Coxsackieviruses are associated with the risk of type 1 diabetes.

In a scientific point of view, this paper is not significant. Relevant for the field? yes. Significant? no.
Personal points of view differ.

The point is: very often media makes a hype of something, exaggerates tremendously and doesn't even get it right in the end. Only because media says it's great, it doesn't HAVE to be great.

[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
26-10-2013, 03:29 PM
(26-10-2013 01:54 PM)Youkay Wrote:  The point is: very often media makes a hype of something, exaggerates tremendously and doesn't even get it right in the end. Only because media says it's great, it doesn't HAVE to be great.

I get that. All the original article talks about is money so, it's pretty obvious that the hype is directed at funding.

However, as a person ... I think most kinds of medical research which furthers our knowledge is fucking fantastic. I'm pretty sure I can be skeptical and celebrate .... with both eyes wide open. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post