Scientology and Respect for Religious Belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Scientology and Respect for Religious Belief
There was a car accident where a Scientologist was badly injured. When he was brought into the emergency room the medical staff noticed a tag on a chain around his neck that stated, "Scientologist. Do not perform any medical procedures."
The medical staff debated to honor his beliefs or to save his life. They decided that his religious conviction should be honored and they allowed him to die, basically bleeding out.
Did they do the right thing?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 08:06 PM
RE: Scientology and Respect for Religious Belief
Yes, I think so. I don't want my rights or wishes to be taken away for my personal choices because someone else thinks it's for my own good (and I don't agree). What do you think?
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
09-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I think that it was part of his religious rights, although this pisses me off --- imagine being a doctor and having to live with the fact that you actually let someone die that you could have saved! What a idiotic and selfish thing for the Scientologist to do.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
09-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Hey if you want to die go right ahead, just don't place that dick move in behalf of your children's life.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
09-04-2012, 08:26 PM
That's a big negative. Religion doesn't deserve respect. Scientology doesn't deserve to exist. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-04-2012, 12:12 AM
(09-04-2012 08:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's a big negative. Religion doesn't deserve respect. Scientology doesn't deserve to exist. Tongue
Yep, what a joke Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
10-04-2012, 12:40 AM
I respect their decisions up until the point it starts to cause harm either to others or themselves. I will not stand behind or honor such idiotic decisions.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
10-04-2012, 01:02 AM
of course they did they right thing! it's one less scientologist for everyone to worry about Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
10-04-2012, 01:17 AM
(09-04-2012 08:12 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Hey if you want to die go right ahead, just don't place that dick move in behalf of your children's life.
Yeah, the children. Sad

I know someone who almost didn't bring her children into the hospital for dehydration because she wanted to pray over them, she thought God would heal them.

And there's JW's with their no blood transfusion policies.
10-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Follow up: This was not a hypothetical. This story came up in a political philosophy discussion group where one of the members wife was the one who was told "not to treat" the patient. He could have easily been saved. She was devastated. Of the 15 people in the group 8 agreed that the hospital should have honored the patients religious rights under religious freedom.
I strongly disagreed, even to the point of being fired from the hospital. I believe strongly if we are commited to free thinking we should be committed to action. It's not enough to just talk the talk. We have to dismiss this delusional nonsense of religious freedom. We have to treat all religion like a mental disease when it leads to self harm. We would not let a mentally incompacitated patient refuse medical treatment. So should we not the religiously incompacitated.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.